Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (slmracer9)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-09-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
I have a brand new 07 MC X2 with 4 wet sounds pro 80's mounted to it. When I cruise at 40 the tower shakes side to side pretty hard. Has anyone else encountered this? Is this normal or is something wrong?
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-09-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
Those pro 80's weigh 16 lbs each so you have quite a bit of weight up there. All towers will sweigh some no matter how good you install/back it. I always take my pro 80's off the tower when I tow. It only takes a minute or two to take them off. Plus it keeps the bugs off.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-09-2007, 9:44 PM Reply   
Make sure all of your knobs and connections are tight, but this is my major complaint with MC. Obviously they don't shake a ton if you don't have any speakers and boards up there. However, they changed the design of the tower this year, but didn't fix the problem? Call me crazy and anal, but It's just annoying to be driving the boat in slight chop, looking up and watching the tower shake and sway.....I've said it before, but IMO the Illusion X and Centurion's new tower seem to me, to be the most stable..... I'm no engineer, but I would guess the Malibu and Centurion towers are steel, while MC's are aluminum, might have something to do with it?
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-09-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
Hey Brian have you looked up at the Supra and Moomba towers when your riding in them? I never really payed attention and am wondering how you think they compare? Oh, and congrats also on the new arrival!
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-09-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
Sorry "Bryan" my bad.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-10-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
Thanks Dan, I can't remember off the top of my head, I think Sean's shook a little one day when we were going up river into the wind. Not sure about the Supra's, it's always so nice back in the slot. We'll have to get out there and check it out!!
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-10-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
My tower shakes as well, '06 X1 . . . I'm of the opinion the problem lies in the fact that there are too many pinned connections on the tower, rather than fixed connections. . . especially, at the front legs of the tower. I wish that M.C. would not have created the hinged front legs, as I think the problem lies there. The Illusion X tower is incredibly stiff, and only has connections at the base. It also has a large cross section at the base connection, which enables for a greater fixity . . . I'm not familiar with the connections on the Centurian tower, however, it is a very strong shape, and must not have many connections. I'm disappointed in the Mastercraft towers, they are fancy looking, but, not very stiff.

Just my griping $0.02 worth.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-10-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
Barrett,
First, are you the one who beached your MC on long lake? If so, I'm glad she seems OK, how did she turn out?

I essentially have the same tower as you, except with two MC tower speakers. The hinged front legs might be a problem, but they get the boat in the garage. It's like MC tried a larger connection for the rear tower legs this year, but it still doesn't work?
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-10-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
Hey Bryan, yes, I'm the owner of the "White Whale." Amazing enough, there have been no ill effects from the beaching or the rescue, other than to my pocket book . . . in terms of boat dollars, I got off pretty cheap, though. This boating business is expensive. Thanks for the words.

Yes, the hinged front legs do allow for the tower to clear a 7' door, I just wish more thought was put in to creating a more stiff tower.

James, do you have swivel racks? If so, are you able to spin the rack with two boards on it? Just another gripe . . . my racks do not swivel with two boards on it, due to the top board's binding hitting the tower.

Gripe over.

Cheers, and ride on!!
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-11-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
How did you get your boat in a 7' foot garage. I had an o6 x1 on a tandem, and it did not come close to fitting. I had to remove the back section of the tower.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-11-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
Barrett swing the racks the other way.
The tower sway problem is damned if you do damned if you dont. What I mean is, if its stiff you can crack gelcoat at the base of the tower, so MC put a ball joint in the front legs to take pressure off the base mounts, but now it sways. I hate it when your cruising and see the shimmy, shimmy, shake, but I guess I have to live with it.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-11-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
Matt, if you have swivel racks, swivel the racks so they pointing towards the stern. Fold the tower down and you're good to go. I have a half inch clearance on my 7 ft garage door. If you need more clearance, open the back compartments and rest the back of the tower on the braces, that will give you another inch or two.

Billy, maybe they need to get rid of the ball joint, make it stiff, stop the gel around the tower mounts so it won't crack and fill around the tower mounts with a different material that won't crack and has more give? Since they have this black theme going on with the towers, maybe the material can be black?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-11-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
MC towers are also the tallest in the industry.Other the then titan tower(Malibu's old tower)EVERY TOWER SHAKES LIKE CRAZY,I just rather have one with function and one I'm not bumping my head on every minute.IMO there are NO better towers then on a MC.I won't even get into the boardracks!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-11-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
YEHHH!!! What Big Ed said.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-11-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
I will have to agree mc has the best board racks.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-11-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
YEHHH! What matt said.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-11-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
How tall is the tallest in the industry?

c'mon not every tower shakes like crazy.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-11-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
The board racks are sweet and I do like being able to stand and not hit my head on the bimini!! Guessing, but my friends tower on his Moomba XLV is just as tall if not taller than mine.....
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-11-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
Not sure how tall but even with my NVS 1010's,my head still clears the bottom of the speakers by like 2 inches.

Usually on other boats,speaker are not even needed for my head to find a hard part on the tower.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-12-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
The illusion does not shake at all, but you give up a little head room.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
The boardracks are very sweet... Coming from a 210 owner with swivel racks.