Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (ebone66)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-09-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
A dealer quoted me $35.7k on an '06 Outback V. 21'. Ballast(1-bag), perfect pass, wake plate, tower, 2 tower speakers, board racks, FM/CD w/ driver remote and 2 channel amp. The next cheapest V-Drive boat I found loaded like this was over 45k. What am I missing? I know the interior is a little cheaper but what's the catch? I talked to 3 other customers in the shop and they all said the wake was good.?
Old    moombarider132            01-09-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
no catch
wake's awsome
great boats

sounds like a great deal definately jump on it lol
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-09-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
No catch at all. The Outback V is the same hull that pulled the Gravity Games Womens division back in 06. Moomba has just put it in a more affordable package now. I wouldn't call the interior cheap (same vinyl and CC), I would just say it is basic. That is on purpose though.

Combine smart manufacturing, no huge marketing campaign, and keeping the standard options to a minimum, you get a great boat at a great price. You can add the options you want and still come out $10k below the competition.

(Message edited by Jon A on January 09, 2006)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-09-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
I demoed that boat last fall (It was called the Mobius LSV in 05) and my only complaint was how shallow it felt when you are sitting in it; the seats couldn't have been more than a foot off the floor.
Old    moombarider132            01-09-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
hes right the seats are really low though
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-09-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
I owned an '03 LSV up until this summer. It's a great boat for the $$$. Freeboard is lower than other boats, but if you know how to drive you won't have any issues. You will want to add the 2 rear sacs. FYI, Skier's choice has always offered several incentives at the boat show season. They let you pick 3-4 different options at no addl charge. (bimini, addl warranty, stereo etc). Only reason I chose to upg is because I was offered a trade-in price for almost what I bought it for.
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-09-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
Eric,

If the shallow seating bothers you at all, you should check out the 06 LSV. It's a brand new hull that offers a much deeper freeboard in a similar size boat. It will price out a little higher than the Outback you are looking at, but still much less expensive than the competion. I almost bought an LSV myself, but decided to spend a little more and get a leftover 2005 Supra 21v. Was a tough decision though as the Moomba's are also good boats.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-09-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
I am buying this boat also, great boat for the money, talked them down to 32,500 with extras, and will pick up this week
Old     (ebone66)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-10-2006, 6:23 AM Reply   
Thanks. I did notice the shallow seats.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-10-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
here is the link to the incentives offered:

http://www.moomba.com/images/06factoryincentivesb.pdf

(Message edited by lcky275 on January 10, 2006)
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-10-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
obviously there are some biased opinions on here. Basically Moomba are made to be the cheapest boats. you are going to give up some quality in every area. It's got a warranty though, so you are set for at least 5 years. Go bang on the side of that boat and the do the same to some of the high end boats. You will feel the difference!
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-10-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
Jeremy,

Not trying to start an argument here but how do you see you are sacrificing quality? I'd be happy to go over construction processes and materials used during the manufacturing process. I think you will see that quality is not taken out of the process, they just make things simple.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-10-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
I was told that Moomba's are built right next to Supra's using the same processes. I think they are very high quality boats. The Outback V is a great wakeboard boat. If you want a cushy family boat or to get the most attention from everyone else on the lake buy something else.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-10-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
Jeremy, I have to agree with Jon, I have been to many factories and have seen how the boats are constructed ie VS MC,Formula,Monterey,Searay etc and there is NO WAY that the Moomba is constructed worse than another Ski/Wakeboard boat.The banging on the side of the boats thing is so funny, its hard to believe people still use that as a tool..
Moombas are built well without all the bling, the reason I feel is to have a well built boat that does not have alot of parts that break, if you have less parts to break you will have less warranty items so for you have less money to spend on warranty= lower price. The contruction method is the same as the Supra,they run down the same construction line till the fit and finish, this also helps keep costs down=lower price. Don't forget people the Seattle show is now ending on Friday at 6pm not Saturday, go Hawks!
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       01-10-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
Eric,
I have owned two Moomba boats (2003 Outback LS, DD & 2005 Mobius LSV, same as the '06 Outback V) and I can tell you that they are constructed very well. Yes for sure the interior appointments are not as plush as Supra, CC, MC or BU but it is very functional. Save the 10K on the sticker price and put all the bling in the interior you want!
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-10-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
I seem to remember a difference between the Outback and the Mobius (or maybe it was Moomba and Supra...) a few years back, something about single gunnel wall construction vs. double gunnel wall on each side...
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-10-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
Patrick,

All Supras have double sidewall construction. Only the V-drive Moombas have double side wall. MC and CC are the the same as Moomba though, only double on V-drives.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-10-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
Kevin, Jon, and Jon-
I knew I shouldn't have opened my mouth. Basically I have done tons of research as well. Basically I have done research online, in books, as well as first hand. They do have to cut corners. I realize that supra and moomba are basically the same. I have seen a lot of supras with problems that have to deal with quality. I have also seen supras with 2000 hours on them running strong. I am not saying they are bad boats. I am just saying there is a difference in quality between them and some of the higher in boats. That 20K goes somewhere. I will admit that a decent portion goes into the name of the company. But the other part goes into quality.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-10-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
EVeryone has an opinion on this, and you will not convince anyone any different. So look at the trade in values, real dollars. There is a reason MC and Nautiques retain a higher value later on in their life. If you dont believe me, look at a MC vs Moomba after the warranty expires. But, Moombas and Supras have really made some strides in quality over the past few years, and I give them credit for that. Realisticly, almost any new boat reagardless of manufacturer is more boat than you will need to get the job done. But at the same time, it's not just the marketing that makes MC and Nautique cost more.

Bottom line buy what makes you happy.......
Old    mplv            01-10-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
i got a 06 x-1 with the mcx and ever other option available for 44,500. i looked into moombas but for the extra few grand i had to go mastercraft
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-10-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
"i got a 06 x-1 with the mcx and ever other option available for 44,500. i looked into moombas but for the extra few grand i had to go mastercraft"

Extra few grand???? almost 10k.....

I think this is exactly what eric is talking about.
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-10-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
One difference I can see between my Malibu and my friends Moomba is that my butt starts to hurt after sitting on his seats for a while, where mine are plenty more plush. Is this a negative?, only if you care about things like that. His boat is a great boat and puts out a great wake, but it is a little spartan in the interior. If you are looking to ride hard and put it up wet, this is the boat for you. If you want thick seat cushions, soft (ergo easy to tear) vinyl, and shag carpet, you should look at the more expensive boats. The powerplants are Indmar, the fiberglass is just as durable, and the gel coat looks just as good. It's like comparing Nissan and Infiniti, the quality is the same, but you get more comfort and a better appearance with the Infiniti. Contrary to what people will tell you, there is a difference in the Moombas and the Malibus/Nautiques/Mastercrafts. The difference isn't in the quality, but what the boat offers in the way of plushness, bling, etc...

Daniel
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-10-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
Thanks Daniel. Well put.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-10-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
Ding...Ding...Ding!

We have a winner. Daniel nailed it on the head.

My boat doesn't compare to my friends boats in interior or amenities but as far as wake, and reliability it has withstood the test of time quite well. After 700+ hours of hard riding time, I've yet to have a single issue with the boat or complaint about the wakes size and shape.
Old    bocephus            01-10-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
Don't forget about the Sanger, it'll be in that same price range!

Sangers Rule!
Old    moombarider132            01-10-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
daniels my new best friend
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-11-2006, 6:39 AM Reply   
10 grand more for anything besides the Moomba = way more comfort. Nice wake, but it's the difference between Taurus and Cadillac. Both will drive you across the country, both will fit about 5 people in it etc, but one is way more comfy. Looking at resale, your 10k difference shows there as well. The Moomba depreciates at a much faster rate than anything else out there. Cheap interior will break down quicker as well and you'll have to repair/replace to resell and eat some more of your savings. In the meantime, you've been sitting on the floor of your boat in cheap hard seats for 3 years, and your total cost to own the boat after resale is about the same. At least upgrade to supra and save your back( and $20 co-pays to the Chiropractor). No offense to the wake or the engine, but the reason its so cheap, is because its so cheap.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-11-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
B.S., as far as I've been told the vinly and carpet is the same in the supra and moomba, bt the stiching is a little better and there is more foam padding in the supra.
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-11-2006, 7:07 AM Reply   
I guess its just a feel thing. Everytime I sit in a Bu or MC, and then sit in a Moomba, I think " man this sucks". With the resale, depreciation, etc. I think the cost to own would be about the same. Moomba is awesome wake, engine, and if you're stretching to just get into something, it's perfect, but if you're just trying to save some money and think you're getting similar product, you're nuts. The person that does that will be kicking themselves for doing it- " wish I would've upgraded" will go through your mind every time you get in it. For 35-36K you can get an 03-04 X2 loaded, plush and worth every penny, and its already taken the depreciation hit. The 36k Moomba is 30K as soon as you drive it off the lot.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-11-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
Skier’s Choice manufactures both the Supra & Moomba lines in TN. Both have their own hull designs but are manufactured the same and carry the same warranty. Once the hulls are done they split and travel down two separate lines for final production. Both use Indamar motors like many other boat manufactures do. The materials used to produce both boats are the same, thus saving $$$ buying in bulk. The vinyl used in the two boats are different, this year Supra has stepped up and is using a Syntec knit back 360 stretch vinyl with stain resistant topcoat. The Moomba line uses the G&T laminated vinyl with stain resistant topcoat, the same stuff as MC & CC.

Where you will see the differences between the two are:
Supra: Stainless steel cup holders
Moomba: Plastic
Supra: Roswell swing out racks
Moomba: base rack set up
Etc, etc… But nothing that would compromise the structure of the boat.

Look up your local Skier’s Choice dealer and take a look for your self. All they have done is built a great boat, with bling as an option to make owning a great V or direct drive affordable.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-11-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
B.S., Could you back your resale value opinion with facts? I know m any people who have taken a BIG hit after buying a MC and then selling it. I look at it like this, somebody buys a Moomba and pays 36k for it and it goes to 30k after they drive it away. Its the same with MC, except its paying 72k for it and getting 60k after driving it off the lot. I'd rather lose 6k than 12k.
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       01-11-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
The vinyl in a Moomba is the exact material used by our sister brand Supra for the last 5 years. It is made by G&T. As to foam, it is supplied by Carpenter, who provides to most every manf in this industry. Foam densities vary, which is company preference, but the costs don't. BS and CrowMobe, we would love to take you through our plant in Tennessee if you are ever in the area.
Not to be argumentative, but just to show you really how the product is made. It may change your opinion, It may not, but it is a nice part of the country :-)

Rick

Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-11-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
You take a hit on any NEW boat. I said buy an 03-04 X2 for the same as an 06 Moomba and you'd be happier. I wouldn't buy a new anything unless I won the lottery, but that's just me. In addition, like I said its a feel thing for me. Sitting in the Moomba after the BU or MC made a monster difference to ME. I'd be curious how many Moomba owners would trade their one year old Mobius with 100 hrs straight up for a 3 yr old X2 with 200 hrs. I'd almost bet 75% would. But thats just ME again.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-11-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
From personal experience, I can tell you I didn't take anywhere near that hit when I traded my Moomba. I took 8% depreciation after 3 yrs and only winterized, changed the oil and kept it clean.

Rick makes a great boat. I'm Actually headed to the boat show tonight to see the latest models.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-11-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
I believe that most all of the wakeboat companies build a very good product. I find it odd that in this industry there seems to be more Infinity type products (MC, BU, CC, Supra) than Nissan type products (Moomba, Sanger). I think that there is becoming more demand for Nissan type products and we are starting to see the cheaper x1 and v-ride.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-11-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
B.S. I am curious as to what you own? Your opinion is biased but I am not knocking that. I own a Moomba pre Skiers Choice and still have no complaints at all, zero. I would buy another Moomba in a second because they are a Skiers Choice line, and from personal experience with Skiers Choice, they stand 100% behind their product. If your cushy rear end is not as padded in a Moomba, can I suggest sitting on your towel to make sure you are nice and snug as a bug in a rug?

People are quick to say "This sucks!" when they are the ones who don't even own the product.
Old     (ebone66)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-11-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
2 things $35.7 was tax/title out the door price and the X-1 has a 90" beam vs a 95" beam. 5" beam difference has a pretty big effect on how big a boat feels.
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-11-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Currently own nothing. Am buying soon, but ride in all. Like I said its a feel thing, and I agree on Elanes beam statement. Not tryiing to flame Moombas, just answering my opinion on what the post was- why so cheap. Glad those with Moombas are happy. I just think if your're stretching to get into a boat, then Moomba is a great choice, but if you're just trying to shave some dollars and think you're getting the same as CC, MC, BU... you're insane. I'll end this post with one comment- No one has ever upgraded TO a Moomba. That doesn't mean its not a well built, good running, great wake boat, it just means what it means.
Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-11-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
just as I thought"currently own nothing", Rick thanks for chiming in. Where else are you going to find a president of a boat company to chime in and defend his product. Many people upgrade moomba's, I myself had an Outback last summer and have an Lsv being built by Rick and his crew right now. B.S you can come for a ride in it when I get it, and keep saving up so you can get your MC while I am out enjoying my "cheaply built" Moomba. Arrogance is Ignorance.
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-11-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Then consider yourself ignorant. Between boats, and looking, not saving up. Many people upgrade their Moombas, but they don't upgrade TO a Moomba. Reading the posts properly would help with your mischaracterizations. Rick sounds like a great guy, and I'm sure he enjoys his upgraded Supra, which is comfy as well. People buy for different reasons, but my only intent was to answer the original question on this post. Good luck with your chiropractor.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-11-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
"No one has ever upgraded to a Moomba" BS please think b4 you type.

I upgraded to a Moomba from a '79 stars and stripes. Then I upgraded from a Moomba to a Tige' 22v. Same dealer, just needed more room and the new LSV was not out yet. I might just "downgrade" if I like the '06.

I'm also positive plenty have upgraded from IOs or older boats. There are also many repeat buyers of moombas.

CC/MC/BU add inflated cost from R&D, Sponsorship and Ad campaigns. They have higher OpEx so prices are higher.

I look for value when I buy anything. I will probably never choose to own any of the ones mentioned until I see a true value, just like I will never buy a $100+ pair of blue jeans.

Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-11-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
B.S., I upgraded from an 01 Outback to an 02 Malibu Wakesetter DD.

I am now considering the new 06 LSV Moomba as un upgrade...............They really stepped it up this year.

Yep, I might upgrade TO a Moomba........
Old    bocephus            01-11-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
Sanger is not a Nissan type product. The Sanger will last forever and is just plain quality all around! The Sanger will out last, out sell, etc. etc. compared to the Moomba, any day of the week!
Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-11-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Bottom line Eric, buy the 06 mobius lsv it is a few thousand more and you will not be dissapointed. Call Coogan at Alabama Watersports and he will take care of ya. I know some dealers that are not getting the outback v unless it is a pre-order, due to the changes made to the mobius this year.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-11-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Icky and Jeffrey,
I believe you are missing B.S.'s point. Both of your upgrades I don't think are what he was talking about. I think he is saying that nobody had a vdrive other boat and went to a vdrive moomba...or direct drive to direct drive. You are comparing a 79 to a new moomba. yeah the moomba is probably better. Also you are comparing a DD to a Vdrive. Yes also better. Also, icky, if you aren't seeing the value in the cc/mc/bu then you might want to do some more research. There is definitely a reason they are more expensive other than markup. Just my 2 cents! By the way the whole saving for the boat part. I waited an extra 2 years to get my boat and don't regret it at all.
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-11-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
Jeremy,

Thank you for the help. These guys want to split hairs and defend boats more than answer the guys question. I'd be curious how long it took to potty train them.......
Old    as_boats            01-11-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
Hey B.S. I sold a 05 Moomba outback to a guy with a 99 Malibu response, also a 04 lsv to a guy with a 02 Malibu Wakesetter and had many other malibu and mastercraft owners thinking of doing the same because the new 06 LSV is gonna kill all other wakeboard boats in price, size and looks. So you are wrong again my friend, maybe you should try and "Stretch" yourself into a new 06 LSV and you might get better with all the new riding time behind your OWN boat. Stop pretending to yourself that Moombas aren't good and don't be so jealous of all those Mastercraft owners
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-11-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
B.S I think you are missing the point as well. Skiers Choice is not marketing these boats to people who want to upgrade, that is why they have Supra. The point of Moomba is to get people into a good boat at a good price. Hopefully they will like the boat and then when they do upgrade they will either buy a bigger, better moomba, or buy a supra.
Cars are the same way. Chevy doesnt make much money on a Cobalt but they try to put out a good product so that they can build brand loyalty and hopefully they can sell you a cadi later.
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-11-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Is the base engine on all Moomba’s still carbureted? That could contribute to the lower price too…
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-11-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
Charlie, I am sure MC and Bu Dealers sell their products to old Moomba dealers as well. Not a good arguement. To say the "06LSV is gona kill" all other wakeboats is a pretty large stretch as well.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-11-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
BS
Sorry, but we answered his questions, with our opinions, b4 you ever posted your perception of their depreciation / quality and people not upgrading to the product. I responded to your posts with facts on the subject. Then, you responded with derogatory comments about potty training...

Jeremy
To clarify,IMO, Value is different than Luxury. Chrome, binding lube dispensers, 20" trailer rims, carbon fiber towers, digital ballast guages are luxury items, to me. To others, it may equate to value. But I don't think that build quality / manufacturing is much different in these boats as of late. I'm only a few hours from the MC, SC and Bu facilities, so maybe I need to take a tour for better comparison. As far as research, I've been doing research on the industry since '93 when I started wakeboarding. Hence, very few posts, but lots of reading.

Congrats on saving up for the boat. That takes alot of discipline in a world of instant gratification via credit.
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-11-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
B.S. - I get your point, but I think you aren't getting through to some.

Try this (car) analogy: Hyundai makes a great car that has all the capabilities as Honda, Toyota, etc. Even has a better warranty.

If you sold your Camry and bought a Sonota, I wouldn't call that "upgrading". Maybe - "getting more bang for your buck"?

One other thing: Do you really think Moomba has found a way to make quality boats WAY cheaper than MC, BU, CC, etc? I doubt it. They may spend less money on advertising, sponsorship, etc.... That tells me that there are things built into the boat that are cheaper... maybe the process, maybe the materials. To me, that means a lesser product.

No disrespect to the Moomba owners/employees... they are filling a need for a decent boat at a great price.... like Hyundai.
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-11-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Icky- how'd you know the potty training comment was directed at you? Hmmmmm.

If Moomba is the greatest value ever created, and is made the same as all others, including Supra- why would you ever pay all that huge mark-up for the Supra? Is the thicker foam and SS cupholders really the only difference in the 8-10K increase in cost?

I'll be waiting for the I/O comps, comps of dd vs vd, and all the fun.

Relax everyone, its just a discussion board.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-11-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
If you really want another point of view, could it be that the 3 majors are just grossly inflating the cost of their boats in comparison to Moomba? Could a digital ballast gauge cost that much more per boat than an analog gauge? Does adding an inch or two more of foam equate to 20-30k difference in price? I really don't know and I am not speculating anything, all I am saying is that for the most part, we don't have a clue to what these boats cost to produce and what percentage the manufactures are pulling in. I will agree that Moomba seats are a little harder, they do not have the bling factor, nor do they even offer carbon fiber this or that....but to me what is most important is drive train and personal feel. I don't need to be pulled by the "Cadillac" of boats to achieve the goals I have set; the Hyundai is fine for me. But as I always say, to each their own...it is the same in society no matter what demographic you are looking at. There are tons of people that live in downtown metropolitans that drive Hummer's when a scooter would get them there faster.
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-11-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
Same as the other site.

http://www.waterskimag.com/client.jsp?page=/Company_Profile&clientID=25205&contentID=33

http://www.waterskimag.com/client.jsp?page=/Company_Profile&clientID=17146&contentID=33
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-11-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
Another different perspective...

I own a BU VLX (ok, the bank owns it) and love it very much, very happy with my descision. I was planning on buying a moomba, because of the 10k difference. After doing lots of research online and visiting the nearest Moomba/Supra dealership, I was turned off by posts similar to this and by the dealer who didn't really know basics about the product he was selling (and this guys was the owner as well). That and the height of the gunnels made me look around a little more. I don't like the looks of MC's, never have compared to others. So it was up to BU or CC, then the choice became obvious... I liked the vert wake of the CC, but the storage and comfort of the BU was the only way to go for me.
Having said that, Skiers choice is the "innovator" in the Ski/Wakeboard boat industry for creating a value based boat line... Moomba. Now BU's trying to get into that same market with their Ride series. Maybe if the '06 Moomba was marketed as the '03 Supra (and actually was) without the bling things, it would be perceived differently. I think in general Moomba had some quality issues in the past, maybe in the '98 or '99 outbacks and so forth which have been posted about here. But I don't think that it's relevent to today's Skier's Choice product.
Also, every Manufacturer has it's lemons, whether it's the Boat Manufacturer or the vendors they use for engines, etc...

Just rambing on with my .02
Old    as_boats            01-11-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
Paul it is obvious that MC and BU dealers get old Moomba customers i never said that they don't. It wasn't suppose to be a good agument that nobody gets rid of a Moomba, People always change brands and because people feel they want a upgrade from a Moomba , thats where Supra comes in.My point was that your buddy B.S. said NOBODY upgrades to a MOOMBA i was just correcting him because my customers got out of a Malibu and into a Moomba, it def. happend twice. As for me i like my Supra but if i didn't have the extra $ a Moomba would have been a great boat.
Also Paul the 06 LSV Mobius WILL kill all other boats its not a stretch, sorry but don't get to upset the boat is sick, Try finding a brand new boat under 40 k that is as big, comfortable, triple ballast, sick tower, (so much better than alot of other brands), kenwood stereo, board racks, FIBERGLASS swim platform no teak ,Indmar power with fuel injection and a BIG friggen wake!!! The Moomba interior for 06 is better than ever for all you haters out there, Hey all you guys can go buy a bad ass Mastercraft they are sweet boats, but i'll use the extra money i saved and go buy another motorcycle or another snowmobile, or you know what maybe i'll get a supercharger for my Camaro}
P.S SUPRA'S RULE
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-11-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
I think Patrick has made some pretty good points. I agree that Supra and Moomba are getting better. I still do believe that there is a huge difference between these boats and the BU'S, CC'S & MC'S. I don't think it is just bling and 20" wheels (damn I wish I had 20s..ha ha.) I have done my research and still I learn new things every day. The advice I have for Eric is...do your own research. Try to find out everything you can about every boat. After that if you can't see a 20k difference get the moomba. If you get the Moomba and are ever driving through Austin, TX, I will show you why you should have got a Nautique!!
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-11-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
I just compared the Supra and Moomba side-by-side at the boat show and the Supra looks so much nicer. The freeboard in the Moomba is kinda wierd too. That says nothing about the quality, just the look and feel.

What really surprised me is the killer show-boat Centurions. Those boats stock are stripped down and bare, but loaded up on options and with the fancy metal flake gel coat, they looked sweet. The prices on the Centurions in similar to the Moomba, so I'd probably go to a Centurion before I went to a Moomba.

Of course, I like my 'Bu better than either! But I could totally get comfortable in a Centurion, not really in the Moomba.
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-11-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
From an 06 Mobius lsv owner and after just getting back from the boat show I would put the size, ride and comfort of my boat up against anything else out there and don't see it as any less of a boat than any others. There are things I like and dislike about all of them. And I deffinatly don't think I sacraficed quality buy spending less. Bottom line its still over 40k fully loaded.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-11-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
Nice looking boat dan, love the army green!
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-11-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
thanks man yours is pretty sick too
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       01-11-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
Regarding the "upgrading issue", I had several customers trade in their Supra Launch SSVs for the new 23' Moomba Mobius XLV when it first came out... I wonder what category those customers fall into?

McFly
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-12-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
Charlie, I was not picking sides, I was just commenting on how your post was complete BS.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-12-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
Dan, How about some wake pics.
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-12-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
The horse is dead. Please quit kicking it. Clearly, anyone who does not purchase Moomba has sacrificed much $$$ and not gained any quality.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-12-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
These are the reasons Mastercraft is more than the compitition. I cant speak for Nautiques or Malibu's.

1. 100% Handlaid Fiberglass Matte vs. fiberglass blown into a mold with a chopper gun.

2. Everyplace that hardware is attached to the fiberglass has the reinforcement plates imbedded in the fiberglass. Some competitors "sandwich" the fiberglass between the hardware and the backing plate. In the MC this helps disburse the force and help prevent hull cracks.

3. More Foam injected into the hull that any of the compitition. Anyone ever see a MC sink? I have'nt but I have seen a Supra pulled off the bottom(Older one, not newer)

4. All seating stitched in house, no outsourcing.

5. All boats lake tested before leaving the manufacturer.

These points may seem like luxury to some, but these reasons, and others is why I bought an '05 X-2. And as far as resale goes, before I had a '91 Prostar190 for seven years and sold it for $2500 less than what I bought it for.

Bottom line is this, with the amount of compitition in the market, MC, Nautique, & Malibu would be out of business in a year if the other brands were built at the same cost to the manufacturer, and sold for $10k to $15K cheaper....
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-12-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Untill someone can post hard numbers from production costs...there will always be theroies on why the big 3 cost more. I don't see a 15k added value in what was posted as the reasons above. I have a hard time believing that the big three are the only ones that test their boats before they get into the customer's hands. I've owned several wakebaord boats over the last 6 -7 years and have never had any major hull/fiberglass issues with any of them.

while revenue and expenses are a critical piece of the pie, great management and marketing has alot to do with the sucess of any companies

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on January 12, 2006)
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-12-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
Byrd,

Just to let you know, Moomba does all of the above that you listed that MC does. 100% handlaid fiberglass, fiberglassed backing plates, newer model (non wood) will not sink with foam injected hull, all stitching in house, all boats lake tested.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-12-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
Byrd,
Funny how you speak prior to doing your research. Moomba is not a chopper gun boat, have foam filled hulls and has metal backing plates throughout and all stitching is done in house and Moombas are lake tested.I almost guarantee that a Moomba XLV has more foam in it then a MC X2.Moomba has postioned themselves as a best bang for your buck boat, and I believe they achieved it.Rick,I know your wanting to chime in. I just have a hard time when people chime in and bash something prior to knowing the truth.Also I believe that Skiers choice is a dept free company with very low overhead costs,newer state of the art factory,boat building community that span back at least 3 generations. Bottom line is Moomba builds a sound hull,structure,stringers,glass,floorboards,windshi elds,trailers etc,because of low overhead,little advertising,brochures/models,ad campaigns,pro teams,websites. It all adds up.Again keep it up Skiers Choice

Oh yeah someone hit it on the head about resale value 5-6K vs 12-14K on brand X
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-12-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
"I almost guarantee that a Moomba XLV has more foam in it then a MC X2"

"Funny how you speak prior to doing your research"

"Also I believe that Skiers choice is a dept free company"

Where to begin?
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-12-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
Kevin,

Glad to see you drinking the "SUPRA SOUP"
You outta try the MC KOOLAIDE. Its alot better
tasting and is better for ya !

Jon...you too Moomba IS NOT 100% handlaid. read your product brochures !!!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-12-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
TJK, would you consider moomba.com just as valid as "your product brochures"?

Quote from:

http://www.moomba.com/construction.html

All of the fiberglass is completely
hand-laid for consistency, ensuring
superb strength and durability.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       01-12-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2004/sc1.asp

McFly

(Message edited by mcfly on January 12, 2006)
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-12-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
This post is full of alot of morons.

Byrd Have you visited any boat websites at all?

If some of you are going to dwell on chopper guns, you might want to visit Correct Crafts site.
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-12-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
How about 6-7 years ago? Was the fiberglass hand laid or sprayed? If it was sprayed, when did they changed their build process to hand lay the fiberglass?
Also, have MC, CC, BU always been hand laid or did they used to be sprayed as well?
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       01-12-2006, 11:13 AM Reply   
Patrick,

We have never used or had a chopper gun in either of our facilities since I have been here. 1996.
The boats have always been hand-laid. One, we think it is the most efficient way to do it(cost and strength) and Secondly, the tightness of EPA emmissions for our facility would never allow us to do it. Hope that helps.

Rick
Old    mplv            01-12-2006, 11:13 AM Reply   
i just went to the moomba site and tried to build a boat identical to my x-1, you cant even get the mcx or several other options that i have but by adding what they do offer the msrp of the boat is 3k more than what i paid for mine.
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-12-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
Hand laid....that is sooo 2005!
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-12-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
mplv,

A comparable engine to the MCX would be the 340 MPI. What options were you looking for that Moomba did not have?