Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    loaner            03-16-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
Im considering selling my 1997 Nautique and found an intersting 2002 21ir. anyone rode in or behind the tige line? I dont want to start the typical less filling/great taste type argument. just looking for Tige owners or friendws input. Would you buy a tige again? If the Nautiques werent soooo much money I'd buy another one.

Thanks for the input
Old     (blev2)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-17-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
i have ridden behind just about every tige but the switch series. all great boats. go for it and get one. thats all i board behind and wouldnt have it any other way
Old    loaner            03-17-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
THANKS BRYAN! GIVES ME SOME PEACE ABOUT THE DECISION
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-17-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
I have a 2003 22I and love it. Would buy a Tige again for sure. However I am not positive but I think 2002 was the year before they changed the hull for the better. Check into it.

If it is I have heard the hull has spray pockets that effect the wake in a negative way. But as far as quality and workmanship Tige' are great!!
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-17-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
I am pretty sure that the 2002 had spray pockets as well. With that said, spray pockets, chines, cutouts or whatever you call them do not necessarily mean bad wake performance (most boats have them to some degree) but the 2002 and older Tige's that had them didn't have the ideal wake and it was blamed mainly on those pockets (2003 and newer Tige's don't have them).
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-17-2005, 9:56 AM Reply   
I have a 02 20v, stick with a 02 or newer. Tige makes great boats and I would buy definately buy another.
Good luck
Chris
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-17-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
Yeah in 2003 they went with the Covnex Hull which made a huge difference in wake performance! See if you can find a 2003 for a good deal. Couldn't be that much mre than the 2002.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-17-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
I have a 2002 21I and it is a great boat. Wish I had the newer V-drive. If you ever have a problem with the boat call Andrew at Tige. Don't have his number off the top of my head, just email Tige direct and ask for his number. We had a little problem and they helped out tremendously. Good boats and they like to help out there customers. Go for it.
Old    loaner            03-17-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
i'll check in to the hull design again. Cool glad to hear everyone likes the product.

Rock n Boardin Man, let me know when your giving the big air clinic. thats a nice shot on your profile.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-17-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
LOL On the big air clinic!! Thanks for the props! However there are some other riders on Wakeworld that would be much more qualified for that than me!!! Good luck with your boat hunt!!!!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-17-2005, 5:16 PM Reply   
If I am not mistaken, the Convex hull has been a standard for Tige ever since they put the TAPS on. The new hull is not much different, just with the spray pockets filled in. I had a 2002 21V with spray pockets and the wake was very good. It tends to get a very little bit of foam at the top when weighted. I always have felt it was cosmetic - 1.5 inches of foam isn't enough to affect my sorry abilities, let a lone someone who is good. If I get bored, I'll try to get pics for you. They were posted in the archives somewhere.

Would I buy another Tige? YES! In fact, I did. I now own a 2005 24V. I have been very pleased. Part of the deal is dealer support which also influenced my decision.
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-17-2005, 5:45 PM Reply   
Mine is a 02 and it has a convex hull. I am not sure when they started doing it, but mine has it.
Old    loaner            03-18-2005, 8:19 AM Reply   
once again. thanks for the input.
Talltigeguy as far as the January runs in UTAH i'll pass(on profile). but if you need to warm up a little. Every dec 31'st we ring in the new year out here in san diego. wet suit is all you need water was 58 and sun was out and 70 on the last run. you guys runnin with ice on the shore get my vote for most dedicated.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-18-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
Rusty,

It's a little misleading to be worried about riding with me in January here. I live in Southern Utah and our weather is more like Vegas than Salt Lake. I've never seen ice on the shore here. The lakes do get down to 45 degrees, but there are commonly winter days sunny and 60+ degrees outside, so it's bearable.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-18-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
hey dude we did a huge boat search last year and I really liked the 20v we were looking at we ended up with a MC but if we could have swapped the dealers we would have bought the 20v. They're great solid boats
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-18-2005, 6:17 PM Reply   
Rusty,
The 21i changed hull designs starting with the 2002 model.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-19-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
"If I am not mistaken, the Convex hull has been a standard for Tige ever since they put the TAPS on."

I'm not so sure about that. Back in 03 when I bought my boat I would have known for sure. Now I forget LOL. But I am "pretty sure" that was a new hull development in 02 or 03. From what Lee says he should be good with an 02!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-22-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
Frenchie,

I posted my question about the convex hull on Tigeowners.com because you made me think. I was partly right. Tige was the first to take the 'hook' out of the rear of the boat in 1995 when they added TAPS. This did not make the hull convex, but more flat than anything (but I guess its much closer to convex compared to those with the hook).

Tige then took it another step further in 02 and 03 by actually curving the rear of the boat upward, making the hull convex.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=992
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
Yeah I remember the DVD they sent in the brochure that kept stated the all new covnex hull. They had a whole section in the DVD talking about that "breakthrough" development.

Actually I think it's pretty cool and makes sense. Makes a big difference in unweighted wake performance. When the boat is weighted it does not become a factor as I actually use the opposite Taps setting "bow down" for the hole shot and then use it to clean up the wake. Not to enhance the size.

But yeah having the hull curve up "convex" lets the boat settle in deeper at the stern, with the bow higher causing a larger wake and helping in rough conditions. Then the Taps allows you to bring the stern up and bow down for cruising in smooth water or watersking whatever that is? LOL
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-22-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
The TAP system is only a correction for a serious hull flaw. That hull will not perform without it. Don't be fooled by wise marketing stratagy. All TAPS is is a BENNETT Trim tap to keep the hull from proposing. Brilliant in its design and what it does but don't be fooled into thinking that it was designed for wakeboard specific needs. TIGE has done well with there product producing approx 2000 hulls a few years ago down to about 900. Stick with what we all know...good hulls are designed as WAKE SHAPING TOOLS. any extra added piece of metal under the surface malforms the water it touches ie. WEDGE or a trimtab. Just my .02 cents.
Old     (bakerds)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-22-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
serious hull flaw?...I noticed you don't any hull to worry about based on your profile
Old    bambamski            03-22-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
TJK Hull Flaw???

Those were boats of the past. Supra had to put a plate on their old boats so they would turn without cavitating. Same as some of the older I/O's. Tige designed their new boats to be wakeboarding boats, not ski boats. They don't go fast well without the plate, but they're not designed to.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-23-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
"The TAP system is only a correction for a serious hull flaw."

Another newbite bites the dust!!!
Old    tigeaznick            03-23-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
The 'serious hull flaw' theory always amazes me!

If that were true, since Tige' introduced TAPS in 1995 and have made several hull changes since then, don't you think it would have been much easier for them to just design a hull WITHOUT a "serious flaw", than to continue to engineering new hulls with more flaws and then spending a bunch of money on marketing to cover up the 'flaws'?

Maybe it's TJK that has been taken by the negative/anti-TAPS marketing of some competitors.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-23-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
TJK seems pretty unaware of many things regarding Tige. I don't even know where to start. The least of which is a preoccupation with water malformation.
Old    zboomer            03-23-2005, 2:45 PM Reply   
If it's any thread extolling a virtue of ANY brand besides Mastercraft, TJK will be there to bash it. His brief ww history has shown that.

He either works for them, or is brainwashed, one of the two.
Old     (abc33660)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-23-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
I have to say upfront that I've just bought a new Tige so I certainly have a bias.

I tested Nautique and Malibu before I made my decision to purchase the Tige. All of the other dealers did not bash the Tige, they just pointed out that "Taps" is merely a trim tab. I totally agree with them.

The funny thing that I read on the Nautique forum was that during the introduction of the SV211 at the New York boat show one of the Nautique salepeople explained that the SV211's "Hydrogate" is totally unlike the Tige's "Taps" because Correct Craft has the engineering skills to create a hull that is specifically designed to work with the "Hydrogate" whereas the Tige's "Taps" was only there to correct a hull defect.

I guess that it's only a Tige marketing ploy that asserts Taps works in conjunction with the Convex hull to create wakes without the use of ballast. And before everyone jumps all over me ... yes Taps does not increase the size of the wake in fact will only decrease it or shape it. If you read the Tige literature they state that it is the Convex hull that creates the wake not Taps.

Supra has trim tabs, Nautique has Hydrogate and Tige has Taps yet everyone seems to bash the Tige as ineffective and there only to solve a hull design flaw.

I personally would not have had a problem purchasing all three boats. I looked at the Air 216, 21XTI and 22i. It actually came down to the trim tab and it ability to reduce the size of the wake which was the deciding factor. I thought that the Nautique fit and finish was better than both the Malibu and the Tige. I thought the Malibu was by far the best looking boat especially with the Illusion Tower and I really liked the layout of the 21XTI.

If the Malibu had a trim tab vs. the wedge (or an adjustible wedge) I would have purchased the Malibu as it was priced very similiar to the Tige ($59K Canadian) at about $60K Canadian. The Nautique was only about $1K more expensive. All three were similiarly equiped except that the Nautique has the keyless ignition.

Why do people have to bash other brands just to make them feel better about the boat that they purchased? There will always be good and bad with any boat as not everyone values different aspects of a boat the same. I'll be the first to acknowledge that my Tige is not perfect and there are lots of areas for improvement ... ie having built in ballast tanks located within the hull so that it doesn't take up storage space, dress up the dash a little, use snap out carpets.

Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-24-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
I think for the money Tige is the best bet.
I was going to buy a Yamaha ar230 ( Yes a large sea doo ) for 32K usd .
I looked at Master Craft, the cheapest they had in stock was 58k new. I ended up with a Tige Switch V with tower for 34K 37 out the door.
It would have been nice to get a fancier boat, but I did not want any payments and you have to work with what you got.
Old    airflyer            04-05-2005, 11:17 PM Reply   
I just bought an '03 Tige 22v. It puts out a great wake but the minute I go above 20 m.p.h. the bow becomes allergic to water . It porposes and the ride is terrible. What can I do to make it stop?
Old     (bummerkit)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-06-2005, 6:52 AM Reply   
talltigeguy-

where exactly do you live? im in Hurricane.
Old    matt_dettman            04-06-2005, 10:09 PM Reply   
TJK,

It would appear that the new 2006(?) X30 and the X45 are blessed with a "flawed hull". Both are sporting Bennett trim tabs!

You know what they say...Imitation is the highest form of flattery....

Looks like your Mastercraft is now obsolete, no?