Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-24-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
after experiencing the worst boardstock 3 years ago in stockton, i vowed never to go back. there were fights, rapes, underaged drinking, etc., etc.

"maybe it'll get better" i thought.

wrong. from what i've heard and read, it just got worse each time!

now, "boardstock" is basically wakesurfstock. now, wakesurfing is fine and all if that's what you like. but please, don't attach the "boardstock" name to an event that is nothing like the original.

did you know that clubs or sites can't have a "boardstock gathering" unless they get permission to use "boardstock" from the corporate heads that promote and organize the event? apparently, "boardstock" is no longer a household name. it has an owner. so, if i were to start a thread and call it, "wakeworld's boardstock gathering," i'd get sued or be asked to pay a fee for using the name "boardstock" in the sum of $5000 or so!

does this sound like the event that took place in the middle of lake shasta? not even close.

my solution? take the name back, and bring back the original. websites need to join together and "take back" the original name from those who know nothing about boardstock and give it back to its rightful owner...the riders! people need to come together, take the name back, and put together an event that people will be stoked about, will be happy to attend, and be talked about months after it's over.

the people that can do it are people we all know and respect. dave williams(wakeworld.com), pat mccarthy (wakeboarder.com), chris ramey (wakepics.com), jason buffalow (westsideconnection.net), nick knieriem (newt juice). these people know what it takes to bring an event together...they need to do it! there are others i know that can help in making "a real boardstock" a reality. you all should step up. i know i'll be lending out a hand.

it needs to be in the middle of the lake, where there are no mx ramps (no, i'm not against fmx at all), there are no stages for bands and/or djs, there are no easy access for underage drinkers/pot smokers.

what do you guys think?
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-24-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
take it back to how it was at shasta!
Old    chavezychavez            08-24-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
Great idea... time to ditch the corporate BS and unrelated "extreme" sports and have a true grassroots event again.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-24-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
Tell it!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-24-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
I say kill it and start something new.

It did not leave Shasta -- it got booted out of Shasta because of rowdiness and risk/expense.

And, it ended up at the Delta because most any other location did not want the headache.

I think the only hope is for smaller events at lakes. Once the events get too big, they become too rowdy and expensive to police/control.

So, to me, the evolution of Boardstock to the Delta and into the hands of corporate promotions makes perfect sense to me.

My vote is for a boardstock boycott. Lets kill it because it sucks.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-24-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
I agree 100%, everyone has great and valid points...

It used to be by riders for riders.... Now it has turned into a corporate event. The name has been trademarked and unfortuantely someone owns it from here on out.....

I have worked with GoWakin over the last several years and helped organized many grassroot type events. None at the scale of Boardstock but with time, effort and passion for the sport, something most all of us have, it can be done.

Moving forward, we can work together to throw a similar type event at a lake / campground - Shasta, Pedro, anywhere with a little research. Joe brings up a great idea, and I for one am more than down to help out...

all smiles - no drama

-= peace =-
Lzy
Old    whitechocolate            08-24-2004, 2:58 PM Reply   
BOARDSTOCK THE EVENT PEOPLE LOVE TO HATE.

Joe: It sounds like a great Idea "Hostle takeover of the name Boardstock" but serious it sounds like a waste of energy for just a name.

Dane said it perfict."Boycott bordstock. Lets kill it because it sucks"

I like the Idea if you dont like somthing stop bitching about it and do somthing. (thats why Im not going to beeeotch)

Joe you have gotten events together as well as Arun.
you know what it takes. I think with that Idea thers lots of people that would support this type of thing, it seems that if everyone that ever complained about boardstock sucking came to this event it would be a sell out.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-24-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
LOL - see the POLL on WakeWorld:

Will you be making it out to Boardstock this weekend?

Yes - 6.70%

No - 93.30%
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-24-2004, 3:01 PM Reply   
Can I get an Amen up in here?!!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-24-2004, 3:05 PM Reply   
sure AMEN
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-24-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
LOOK my vote counted

Yes - 6.63%

No - 93.37%

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-24-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
mine too!

Yes - 6.52%

No - 93.48%

184 Total Votes

i'm aware that they were booted out of shasta. but, that doesn't mean other lakes won't take us. pedro, melones, bullard's bar, etc. there are so many lakes to hit up.
Old    martini            08-24-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
joe- i like this thread...

i havent been back to boardstock since shasta...

lets do this...

how did Buffalow get the westsideconnection email????i realize he's one of the oldest online wake heads, but....
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-24-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
Joe, from what I remember, the organizers tried many other lakes but failed. Most lakes just don't need the headache -- the costs out weight the benefits (from their standpoint).

I have gone to BS at Stockton for the last 4 years. The site is pathetic dirty pig hole. And, merging the event with motor cycles is a negative. It is also a bummer that you have to use a car to attend.

The only positive of BS for me has been to be able to see, meet and shake hands with the likes of Shaun, Darin, and Parks. This year, there are fewer big names. Although, Froggy was great to see two years ago.

I do wish that it was a wakeboarding event on a lake filled with wakeboarders.
Old    snowdog            08-24-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
BS is dead to me. After receiving legal threats, legal actions, slanderous phone calls to our sponsors, slanderous letters to our sponsors, calls to lawyers and a big pile of crap from the owners of the "BS Promotions Company", they have taught me that there is no grass roots philosophy or intentions behind this event.

One change that I would suggest is to separate the World Wakesurfing Championship from the BS mess. There are numerous wakesurfing advocates that have worked long and hard to differentiate wakesurfing from wakeboarding, and to advance it as its own separate sport. Some advocates see this as counteractive to that pursuit. Just my two cents.
Old    stereor102            08-24-2004, 6:14 PM Reply   
just voted 241 v
yes-9.13%
no-90.87
bring the old one back!!!!!!!!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-24-2004, 6:47 PM Reply   
Why dont yall organize something behind the scenes. Start your own event that is the same as the original, just a different name. Start a thread and get people talking about the new event. Then throw the thing like the real boardstock should be.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-24-2004, 8:13 PM Reply   
Organizing an event similar to the original is a great idea. However, we should admit that it's our own fault that Shasta won't have us back, so if the opportunity presents itself again somewhere else we should keep in mind that we as a whole can make or break it just as we did before.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-24-2004, 8:22 PM Reply   
Agreed,but your always gonna have problems at larger events.Trash has a way of showing up.
Too bad.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-24-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
Joe,I just read your post on another thread.I'm thinkin for you,there is more to it than just a krappy show.WTF?
Not slammin ya,just wondering.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-25-2004, 1:21 AM Reply   
huh?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-25-2004, 1:37 AM Reply   
Joe - so does this mean you're not going to BoredStock?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-25-2004, 1:43 AM Reply   
i'm thinkin' not.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-25-2004, 2:03 AM Reply   
What if I bring along the dpcfilm girls, a keg, some moto x?

xcvxcv
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-26-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
Jesus, I hope all of you people do stay home with your crabby attitudes. Oh wait, I'm sorry, you all feel that you own the event somehow and you have been wronged since the event has evolved. Why is it that Wakestock can be one of the most successful events in the world but as Boardstock evolves to that direction, you all are screaming like someone stole your ball.

Is it like Shasta? No, and it won't be because from what I understand the wakeboarding community got out of hand and kicked off due to lack of responsibilty by the crowd. Shasta is over, stop living in the past.

Obviously no one, with the exception of Joe, Landon, and Aaron have no idea how much money it takes to pull off an event like this. Trust me, no one is getting rich.

Things change, things evolve, deal with it. Personally I am glad that there is even an event in our area and I plan on being there and having a good time.

BTW, the event this year is in a nice grass park and Boardstock has stepped it up a notch by presenting Brian Deegan on his bike, which i personally enjoy seeing just as much as the water events.

I am looking forward to the day that someone actually stops whining and complaining and steps up to organize an event in California that is worthy of the early Boardstock reputation. When that happens, there will be another great event to attend. Until then, just stay home if you are still crying over "The Man" taking your ball away or go have some fun and enjoy what we have.

Rant complete.

Shawn
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-26-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
Amen Shawn.

When we were at the site yesterday I was very impressed with the new location. Much better than where it has been the last few years. I can't wait until this weekend. Hopefully some of the people from WW will give the event one more chance and simply accept it for what it is today and not compare it to what it once was in its glorious past at Shasta. I hope to see some of you at the event. I'll probably be in the beer garden if you want to stop by for visit.

Rob

Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-26-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
Don't you love it when you go to BOARDstock to watch people on BIKES? Come on boardstock is more like "Anything to bring more people in stock".
Forget organizing an event because if it's organized it'll never be like shasta.

I think a more unorganized event would be better. Just get a bunch of people who like to wakeboard together to hang out at the lake. you could do it at Pedro, the place is huge. All you need is some pro riders to show up and I'm sure a ton of people would come. Just do it as an exhibition type event where theres like a riders alley right infront of the houseboats & boats.

IDK maybe I'm ranting at this point but if I went to boardstock I'd want to see more wakeboarding then what they have. I went last year and the riding only lasted like 2 hours out of the 8 hours the event lasts.
Old    martini            08-26-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
shawn,
didn't see my name on the only people who know how much it costs to do an event comment...

you have some very valid points...but, shasta was the shiz!!!

to bad some of the people had to be out of hand and thrash that place...

from what i have heard, the only different thing added is FMX...

BTW-Deegan hates wakeboarders, calls us water bladers or fruit boots...even though he owns a matercraft and lived on canyon lake...

-have fun!