Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-09-2006, 5:08 PM Reply   
just wondering if anyone knows where theres any good freshwater boarding at close to eglin afb / fort walton beach?? were trying to plan a camping trip. thanks
Old     (retz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
KaNi,
Lake Martin outside of Montgomery, AL is about 3 hours away, and they have a good state park, with some great water.

How long have you been at Eglin? I ride Rocky Bayou as well with a white Centurion Concourse.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-10-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
Good luck on finding fresh water here! Joe said the closet that I know of. Joe, does your Centurion have a graphic on the side that resembles a Super Air's 'Air' logo?! I saw a white Centurion filling up at the Shell station in Bluewater lastweek sometime.. was gonna go have a few words but you/it was taking off.
Old     (retz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-10-2006, 10:15 PM Reply   
Paul, That is me. The graphics are the original Cent. Air Warrior graphics. Stop me next time you see me.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-11-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
I've been here since Feb.....just got the boat a month ago. I dont know if I've seen you out there but we normally go early morning on the weekends and after work sometimes during the week. Have you been to lake martin? Is it decent water or pretty choppy? Do you know if its bad to keep the boat overnight down at the bayou (without flushing the engine) I'm new to the salt water riding! Thanks for the info
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-11-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
I think you should flush the boat and wash it down as soon as you pull it out of the salt water... Takes us only about 20 minutes to unload and clean up/flush the boat after its up on the lift. That 20 minutes is nothing compared to down time for something rusting out!

Joe, cool cool, I stared the boat down pretty good and then parked on the otherside of your pump while I went in to get a drink. I was in a black Lincoln LS with Innerlight/RELENTLESS/and Liquid Force stickers on the back. Probably didn't notice though. I'll shout at ya next time!
Old     (retz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
Oh no you mentioned salt water. Any mention of salt water on this board is a guarantee of 30 emails from people telling you that you are a sinner for even considering putting your boat in salt water (just do a search). Also note that these people are from Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Idaho, Utah, Oklahoma... remind me are any of those states on the ocean?? Despite what you are soon to hear from the nay-sayers, if you take care of the boat, you will have no problems.

My tricks to keeping a ski boat in good working condition in salt water:
1. When you pull the boat out of the water flush the engine with fresh water ASAP for at least 10 minutes. It is worth investing in a flush kit (perko or PPT) ~$100. After the flush, flow some "Salt Away" through the engine (many different brands available at West Marine, Boaters World). I installed a full fresh water closed cooling system on my boat (~$800). This however isn't necessary if you do a good flushing with salt away each time.

2. Wash the exterior of the boat and use soap and a brush to knock off the salt. The salt away can be used on the exterior with good success.

3. Finally, I spray the interior down with fantastik (available at grocery/ace) and wipe everything with a towel. You will notice that you will have to clean the carpet more often because the salt (I use a pressure washer). Also, I apply 303 aerospace on the vinyl (available online or at Boaters World).

4. One last thing for engine protection, apply some corrosion inhibitor to the engine, transmission, anything metal in the bilge. Some dudes use WD40, but if you buy a specific corrosion inhibitor it will leave a visible coat of protection were you spray it. Be very liberal when you spray it on, and re-apply a few times during the season.

5. If you are loading with a trailer, wash the trailer off real good. If the ramp you use has a water hose (Gannon and Bluewater don't) wash the trailer off both after you put the boat in and after you take it out.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Old     (retz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
Lake Martin, very smooth and clean. There is a lot of coves to go boarding in that stay real smooth.
Old     (verruckt32)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
Hey Gentlemen,
I have posted a few things about finding some rides in NW Florida. If you want some extra bodies and gas money I am always game. I am TDY until the end of August, but will want to get out once I get back. Thanks!
Old     (retz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-12-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Ryan,
Shoot me an email when you get back. I take you out.