Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-03-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
Has anyone found or made a cheap ir extender that works with sony decks? Ive got the wired remote at the drivers side but would love to be able to use the wireless remote on the beach jam days as the cool factor would go up a couple notches. I know pac has one but it wont work with certain sony decks so im leary of dropping some $ on one to be their monkey.
Old     (styk33)      Join Date: Aug 2004 Location: NorCal       10-03-2005, 8:48 AM Reply   
I have a Sony deck and I also put a wired remote on my transom. I still have one on the dash for when we are driving. That way you only need to walk to the back of the boat.

(Message edited by Styk33 on October 03, 2005)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-03-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Im wondering if a IR remote will even work. In a open aera like a boat where the sun is a factor it messes with the IR signal. So Im guessing it wont even work
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-03-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
So Grant what your saying is this is one area where you havent even tread yet Come on I know someone has gone down this road because i remeber seeing some post about them but cant remember if the person got it working? Seems so simple and i dont know why it wouldnt work, as its looking for a specific light wave and if i tuck it in the shaded part of one of the vent holes in the back near the sun pad i would hope it would work. I guess the only thing would be the remote being in the sunlight? Ive seen some plans/schematics on the web for making one and it is such a simple principle.
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-03-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
This would be fairly easy to make. I haven't built a remote extender, but I have built several IR tranmitters and receivers. Basically you just have to combine the two to make an IR transceiver. The parts list would be small, IR receiver, amplifier, IR transmitter (IR diode), and supporting caps and resistors. As long as the receiver module doesn't include the demodulation then the signal should be able to pass through the transceiver. If you get a good IR receiver then you won't have to worry about sunlight because most of them are shielded from other light sources, and only pick up the IR spectrum. They also usually include a bandpass filter (fc = 40kHz) so you get the signal being sent from the remote and not the noise from other light sources. This sounds like a fun mini project. I think I have most of the parts already, so I'll build it and let you know how it works out.

(Message edited by wakeprodigy on October 03, 2005)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-03-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
www.smarthome.com

maybe
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-03-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
You might try something meant from home A/V. They all run off of DC power. The only problem will be a cheasy IR flasher, but you could probably mount it in a inconspicuous location.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=55&ObjectGr oup_ID=531&SO=2
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-04-2005, 5:23 AM Reply   
I see the cabinet mount IR repeater includes a daylight filter lens?? Guess daylight might effect operation. I do like the way the cabinet mount one could work out though but the pac one is only about 30 for the whole thing including shipping on ebay?