Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-17-2003, 12:06 PM Reply   
Is this possible? can you safely surf behind an i/o (as safely as behind an inboard)? is anybody doing it?
also can you use a wakeskate to wakesurf or do you have to use a surf board??
Old    geebs000            06-17-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
we wake surf behind my outboard using my freinds long board and don't have any problems. i just trim up and find the right speed and it puts out a nice wake. just don't try anything stupid and you should be cool.later
Old    aka Bradley Beach            06-17-2003, 2:30 PM Reply   
Are you people stupid?

Think about what you are saying...
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-17-2003, 6:44 PM Reply   
I owned an I/O for a while. Honestly, I wouldn't even consider it. In fact, consider this a STRONG warning against it. When we wakesurf behind my boat, people are always coming right up on the swing platform, which is dangerous enough as it is.

Think of this happening. You've got your girlfriend driving. You're in the "pocket", cruising pretty good. You decide to try something new, which is where your concentration is. Your girlfriend decides she needs to throttle back completely to avoid hitting that duck in front of you. The last thing you remember is seeing the boat really close and catching your outside rail... you wake up in the hospital with a sharp pain in your neck... YOU FELL ON THE PROP! and the doctors are trying to figure out what happened... OK, alternate ending: You fell on the prop and are waiting in line in the after-life with a bunch of people who stuck their fork in the toaster, trying to pry the toast out!

-Monkey
Old    geebs000            06-17-2003, 7:41 PM Reply   
thats a good point man. i probally should be a bit more careful. it would suck to end up as an extra in a horror flic because of a bad move on the board. later
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-17-2003, 9:18 PM Reply   
Sid7,
What ever you are smoking: I want in on it.
You are high if you even consider surfing behind an I/O.
Don't Do It!
Alan Bogdanoff
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2003, 11:33 PM Reply   
correct me if im wrong but wouldnt you be to one side of the boat or another to be able to stay up without a rope, this is at least how i saw it done behind an xstar?? You could always tryone of those prop gaurds i saw on another post :-)
Old    mattameo            06-17-2003, 11:38 PM Reply   
prop shmop... i have an i/o and i aint afraid of it.
Old    hockeyruss            06-18-2003, 4:23 AM Reply   
I can see how this can be done, but it has to be done a little differently. First use about 15-20 feet of line. Go a little faster than normal (~15mph) and adjust boat speed and line length to get yourself in a clean section of the wake. You can't through the handle back to the boat, but there is not a lot of pressure on the rope. You can slash back and forth off the wake, pop off the top, it is pretty cool. Most of the time you can give a little tug on the line, coast for a few seconds then repeat the process. This way you are never near the prop.
Old     (jayman1)      Join Date: May 2002       06-18-2003, 6:01 AM Reply   
Monkey hit the nail square on the head with his scenario.

I wouldn't try it. There is a good chance you could become chopped up fish food.
Old    aka Bradley Beach            06-18-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
Please don't surf behind your I/O, I dont' want to read in the paper about how some dude lost his leg or arm in the prop...
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-24-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
We have done for severak years behind an I/O without any problems, but we don't get within 5 feet of the boat either. It seems like the sweet spot of the wake on the I/O is further back than an inboard. Which makes sense since the prop is about 5 feet further back. If you are going to do it just use common sense. Is it the gun that is dangerous or the person holding it. . .
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-24-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
I would have to agree with those who think it is a bad idea, all you have to do is get a little forward on the board and then you are right up on the back of the boat
Old    neal_b            06-27-2003, 10:03 PM Reply   
How close do you guys board to the back of the boat? Unless youre so close to the boat that you could hold a conversation with the people in the boat, I dont see the prop thing happening. Never heard of it and probaly never will. Keep this in mind: If only people who had access to a inboard were the ones who boarded, then a lot less people would be boarding.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-28-2003, 4:50 PM Reply   
Man, I was thinking surfing had prop dangers with an inboard. You guys are nuts to surf behind an IO.
On my boat, the prop is 3 to 4 feet infront of the back of the swim platform. On an IO its right there.

Lyle, the wake is made by the HULL not the PROP.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-28-2003, 7:49 PM Reply   
Give it up Sid7.
Be safe! Unless you want to become sausage meat.
Old    krug            06-29-2003, 2:46 PM Reply   
neal, you are going to be very close to the boat if you want to ride with no handle. i hit the boat with the board alot, nobody should surf behind a io or o. I jump in to the boat if i start to dive the nose under. this is stupid enough.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-30-2003, 1:03 PM Reply   
The I/O doesn't work nearly as well as an inboard. The wake is a lot cleaner and larger behind an inboard. In order to do it behind the I/O we need to use a long board, which isn't nearly as fun as a short board.

danedawg,
You are right the wake is made by the hull, but the prop definitely has an influence because at wakeboarding speed the I/O has a much better wake than the inboard.
Old    neal_b            06-30-2003, 9:25 PM Reply   
Sorry! My bad! I was just reading with one eye and thought the post said wakeboarding! My mistake. Neal