Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-17-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
Does anyone know of good gloves for Cable park handles? i know they are not cool and definatly not needed behind the boat. My problem is by day three my hands are raw from the wood handles.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
I just use gloves for slalom.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-17-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
Get some with heavy duty-kevlar palms
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
Any full fingered ski gloves like overtons sells would be good. Or ride with one hand in the middle. Hard to do spins or air tricks then.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-17-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
Just get a pumice stone or a good file and file off your calluses. If you do a little preventative maintenance you will never have blister problems. Plus, gloves are not cool.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-17-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
I second hating on wood handles. They suck. The other thing that sucks about cable handles is how short some of them are. When they are short the rope burns my pinky finger inadvertently when riding. That sucks worse.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-17-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
MasterLine Pro-Locks can help with fatigue as well. K-Palm Curves are the most durable.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-17-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
Just get a pumice stone or a good file and file off your calluses. If you do a little preventative maintenance you will never have blister problems. Plus, gloves are not cool.
Not sure I get this logic... File off calluses, thus weakening the skin, and no blister problems? This may work with nice foam wake handles, but not with the handles cables use or other skiing disciplines. You want, and almost need calluses.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-17-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
Having them is good but if they get to big they fold the skin over and rip the whole area out. Filing them down keeps them stronger and at a lower profile.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-17-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
Trust me it works.

Basically the calluses grab the handle and begin to get separated from the lower layer of skin. If you file them off and make the skin smooth there is nothing to grab and get lifted from the lower layer of skin. This was not a fix for a nice foam handle, I started doing this when we were all using rubber "tractor grip" handles that would shred a hand in a set.

Forget the logic, focus on what works. This works.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-17-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
Right, I trim mine with nail clippers, to prevent rip out, but that's half way through summer, and they seem to take care of themselves, blisters form when they're not there
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-17-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
Would we all agree that blowing one open is absolutely terrible? I've had this happen several time with good handles too when you hang on a little bit too long on a crash. Sucks.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-17-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
you'll still get some chafing with gloves too. try strapping tape - you'll need a couple of layers so it doesn't peel off straight away, but once you figure out how to do it it should last all day, and makes a big difference.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-17-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
it only took 3 years of cable but no more blisters ever, just rock hard calluses. Stephans right on the money you're not really filing them off, just making them smooth. Rough callus hands are not popular with the missus! I file probable once or twice a week.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-17-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
oh yea alice is right also, good strapping tape will beat gloves any day! Used to do it for a while, gives you insane grip on the handle, but its too much of hassle peeling off the sticky residue on a regular basis. Good for blisters tho.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-18-2010, 7:40 AM Reply   
I can't imagine how wrapping your hand in tape could beat gloves. Having my hands wrapped in tape would annoy the crap out of me.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-18-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
haha..gloves...haha
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-18-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
What about that toughskin stuff? Like a liquid bandage. Would that help prevent them?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgettel View Post
haha..gloves...haha
have you ridden a cable with wooden handles?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-21-2010, 2:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
I can't imagine how wrapping your hand in tape could beat gloves. Having my hands wrapped in tape would annoy the crap out of me.
Imagine the grip of gloves with the feel of no gloves. Also you have to know how to wrap them right.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-21-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
Gloves don't really feel like much to me. Never been an issue. I guess everyone's different.
Old     (rc005)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-21-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesydog View Post
Imagine the grip of gloves with the feel of no gloves. Also you have to know how to wrap them right.
How are you supposed to wrap them??
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-21-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Cable rats all over the world don't wear gloves... let the blisters run their course... let the calluses get nice and hard... Go Shred. Gloves will probably help you pull your skirt back down when the wind blows it up though

Bring on the hate... my $0.02 though
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-21-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
I've been riding the OWC cable for the 10 years it's been around and nobody has ever made a comment to me about my gloves. I guess that's the difference between internet and real life. Most riders can't do an air trick on the cable, and sliding rails isn't going to give you much of a calluse.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-21-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
the times i've used gloves or tape are when on a riding holiday, and i go from no riding cable to riding every day for a couple of weeks - then you don't have the luxury of enough time to let your callouses mature...

people should just stop judging others! if he thinks he needs gloves then he probably has a good reason for doing so.
even just hitting sliders my hands still get too sore to hold on after a couple of hours riding. maybe that makes me soft, but i'd rather be riding than not, and if that's what it takes for me to actually be able to hold on, then I'll do it!

there are some very unhelpful snobs on this forum at times!

re taping hands, i generally do a layer across the palm (where callouses would form), and wrap it around the back of the hand so that the ends are overlapping (tape sticks better to other tape than to skin). i then do a 2nd layer about 1cm lower than the first. if you only do one layer it tends to move and/or bunch up pretty quickly. you can also put thin strips between your fingers, between the two main palm layers, if you're getting serious about it.
how do you wrap yours mark?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-21-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
ha ha alice exactly like you described it! I wrap 1 layer over the callus and back of my hand. Then I put strips between my fingers to stop it bunching. And then one final wrap over the top again which holds the thin strips in place. When I do it like that it will last for hours.

Although I havent needed to do it for a long, long time. My calluses are freakishly strong now.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-21-2010, 8:51 PM Reply   
lucky you!!
thanks to my crap knee i haven't ridden cable since september, and my hands are now baby soft. it's going to hurt a lot when i can ride again!
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-21-2010, 10:49 PM Reply   
you guys dont know what pain is haha, try riding cable 2 days straight 8 hours a day for a photo shoot non-stop, my hands look like they have 2nd degree burns on them

Last edited by nicvtx1994; 06-21-2010 at 10:56 PM.