Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-06-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
I just copyed and pasted the script below from a e-mail I got

http://true-turtle.livejournal.com/85315.html

This videotape shows Russian Navy commandos on a Somalian pirate ship shortly after the pirates had captured a Russian oil tanker. The Euro Union navy that patrols these waters would not interfere because they feared there could be casualties.
All explanations are in Russian with a single exception of when a wounded pirate says something in English and the Russian soldier says "This is not a fishing boat.". All conversations between the commandos are in Russian. If you don't understand Russian, the pictures speak for themselves.
The soldiers freed their compatriots and the tanker. The Russian Navy Commandos moved the pirates back to their own (pirate) ship, searched the pirate ship for weapons and explosives, and then they left the ship and exploded it with all remaining pirates hand-cuffed to it.
The commandos sank the pirate ship along with the pirates and without any court proceedings, lawyers etc. That is, they used the anti-piracy laws of the 18th and 19th centuries where the captain of the rescuing ship has the right to decide what to do with the pirates. Usually, they were hung.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-06-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
No mercy!

awesome.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-08-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
I wrote a paper for a military history class 2 years ago, and in it it was a question as to how to deal with the continuing war on terror/piracy. The professor was an old navy dog, so I put in the paper that they needed to just level some 10 inch guns at the pirate ships/boats and make the problem disappear. Glad to hear that the Russians did just that.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-08-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
I think that is a much better deterrent than arresting them and sending them to trial. Good for the Russians!
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-08-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
the pirates were taken prisoner. nobody was onboard the ship when it exploded.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-08-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
I found these two videos on YouTube, and the one news report said they captured the pirates.

http://

http://
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-08-2010, 9:17 PM Reply   
Grant I like how they also cussed in english! When he yelled "what the *uck is that?"
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       11-18-2010, 9:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
the pirates were taken prisoner. nobody was onboard the ship when it exploded
Posted below, comments from a Russian Commander

Blown up on a ship or set adrift in the ocean. Fate is the same, method is different. Good for the Russians.

What kind of wussy world do we live in that this continues to be a problem. My god, your on a gigantic ship against a skiff with an hour of notice on an open ocean. You could kill them all with a freaking .22 before they got to you. Heck, you don't even need weapons from this century...how about a vat of boiling oil for every ship to dump on the pirates as they are climbing up.

Quote:
“Our military medics gave the necessary medical help to all of the wounded bandits. We loaded the dead bandit’s body onto one of the pirates’ boats with the rest of the pirates, and sent it to the nearest coast, towards Somalia.”

“We loaded water, food and all their other things — except the confiscated weapons, boarding ladders and navigation tools — into the pirates’ boat,” he said.

“The further fate of the released pirates is not known to us.”

Akhmerov, the commander of a group of warships in Russia’s Pacific Fleet, made the comments aboard the Marshal Shaposhnikov, the destroyer that led the operation to free the captured tanker, Interfax reported.

Marines from the Marshal Shaposhnikov led the daring raid on May 6 to free the tanker, called the Moscow University, after it was seized by pirates from the lawless east African country of Somalia.

The operation was initially hailed as a huge success, but Russia was later embarrassed by reports that it had let the pirates go because of the unclear legal situation surrounding their possible prosecution.

Last week an unidentified senior Russian defence ministry source told state news agencies that the pirates’ boat had failed to reach shore and that they were “evidently” dead.