Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chall8143)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-21-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
I pulled my boat out of storage last weekend and while I was there I noticed there had been mice in my boat. I left a roll of paper towels in the dash, and they chewed it all up. I did clean it out real good before I put it away for the winter, so I know there wasn't any food, or drinks in it. I looked over all the wiring I could see and it doesn't appear to be damaged in any way. I also removed all the seats so there isn't any damage to those. Is there anything else I need to look for? What should I be using to keep them out for next year? I heard using dryer sheets helps, but I used those and found they do not work. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
Old     (Barefooter81)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-21-2010, 8:54 PM Reply   
Moth Balls do the wonders. Just sprinkle them around the floor and in your storage compartments. The mice and rats will stay out.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-21-2010, 9:10 PM Reply   
Moth balls? Then your boat will smell like a rest home. There has to be something better.
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-21-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
I think that moth balls whould be better than a cat !!
Old     (Barefooter81)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-21-2010, 9:54 PM Reply   
My parents used them for years in their boat since they left it in a big storage facility. It never smelled like a rest home at all.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-22-2010, 5:11 AM Reply   
Take your wife's drier sheets and put them in all your compartments. They make the boat smell great but the varmints dont like the smell and stay away.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-22-2010, 5:13 AM Reply   
x2 on Drier sheets.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-22-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
I've used the drier sheets for the last severa lyears and havent had any troubles with rodents. I put them in every compartment as well as just lay them on the floor and dash.

Another big thing, dont let them have a way in. Do you use a cover over the winter? if so they can climb the straps to get in. I store mine in the garage so I jsut drape the cover over the boat, and tuck all of the tie downs for the cover underneath and inside the boat.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-22-2010, 7:55 PM Reply   
I had issues with mice in my RV over the years. I have witnessed first hand the damage they can do.

I have tried dryer sheets, moth balls and about everything else others have suggested. I have only had limited succes with them.

This is what I have learned works best....

Mice can get into about anything so I gave up trying top keep them out.

They are looking for a winter home when the weather first starts getting cold. As soons as it starts getting cold place mice traps in your boat baited with peanut butter. Sticky traps also work well. Keep checking the traps every couple of days until it gets cold and stays cold. By this point the mice have found a home somewhere, and as long as it's not my boat or RV I don't care where they go.

Don't use mice poison because they just go somewhere and hide to die. The only way to find them then is to follow the smell.......