Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-24-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever tried putting together a wakesurfing based on the Simmons Planing Hull designs? I'd think a mini, or micro Simmons would work pretty well at 4.5-5ft in length...
Old    surfdad            08-25-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
Interesting concept. I think we see influences in some of the boards available, if not the full design.

http://www.legendarysurfers.com/surf/legends/ls15.shtml

http://olosurfer-woodensurfboardsatpipeline.blogspot.com/2009/02/simmons-board.html

Cut 'n paste of the recap from the last URL:

1) Nose rocker. This is used in order to gain more lift per square inch from the nose area so that the board can accelerate more quickly on takeoff

2) A relatively parallel rail line. Lindsay Lord's planing hull theory ( used by Simmons) implies that a parallel rail line reduces drag.

3) A wide tail. Planing hull theory tells us that a wide planing hull has a better lift/drag ratio than a narow one.

4) A hard edge at the tail. planing hull theory again. . . a hard edge gives a cleaner wake and thus, less drag

5) Zero tail rocker, this reduces drag
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-25-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
I definitely see a lot of it in wakesurfing design, but I have a feeling that the sum of the whole is greater than the parts.

Also - there seem to be a lot of variations on them - and when I think "Simmons Planing Hull" I think of a board like this:

http://thedegreeofslide.blogspot.com/2008/01/simmons-inspired-planning-hull.html

Notice the design details like the concave bottom between the fins, the stepped deck (very common in windsurfing - my main sport), etc.

I feel like a lot of the boards I see use one part or the other, but not all. Take the parallel rail line - I feel like I see this on "beginner" or "big guy" boards, but not on something that is intended to be super-high-performance (with some exceptions).

Also feel the thickness and stepped deck is often lacking.

I'd love to have something like the board in the blog link above, in a 4'6-5' ish length, 2" thick in the center, dropping to 1" at the rails, glassed in fins, the entire bottom and fins sanded with 600 grit to break the surface tension - just something insanely fast that still turns well enough (with the speed, the idea would be to turn it off the lip with only the back 1/3 in the water - so in theory it turns like a fish).

Just thinking out loud.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-25-2009, 10:50 PM Reply   
Are you guys even speaking english??? Wow! Thats heavy stuff! Good luck with that anyway!