Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-26-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
At myself. Today, I forgot to place the pins through the swim deck on my 02 supra and after a wakeboarding set, the rider came to the board and said, dude, where is your platform.

I thought it would float but we searched the small lake up and down and no sign of it. Oh well

So, does anyone know about how much these run and if there are any for sale on the net.

Besides that, The water was too cold and I had some bad runs. Bad day...

Peace,
Ryan

(Message edited by rmdanie on April 26, 2008)
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-26-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
fiberglass ones are around $800
Old     (veritas)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-26-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
Ouch.
Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-26-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
The one that fell off was fiberglass but I am looking for cheap and functional to correct this stupid mistake. I can't even blame this screwup on alcahol.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-26-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
Ryan, sorry to hear about your day...nothing worse than that 'gut wrenching' feeling like getting pulled over for a bonehead move like a stop sign roll-through. I was wondering the same thing today about platforms. For instance, are there boats that get totalled in towing wrecks or something that really damages the hull, but leaves the platform untouched. Would these things be in junkyards or already stripped of all important components?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-26-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
Ouch dude that suck! I have been in a number of situations where we lost really shiaty part. Last summer I was in a homies VLX and the rudder fell of! Nothing like those stupid mistakes.

Man I feel your pain.
Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-26-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
Ryan

You are taking this well. I would be "unhinged" if I had a "screw" loose and lost my platform. Hopefully, you will be able to "pin" down a replacement soon enough.

(I could not resist and we have all done some similar bonehead move)

Good luck
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-26-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
^Aright Louise, just calm down! Now, slowly step away from the play-on-words! Slowly!

(Message edited by sinkoumn on April 26, 2008)
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-26-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
Dude that really sucks Sorry to hear about your bad day . . . I know a guy that built his own platform out of marine plywood, glassed it himself, and rhino lined it the only problem was the brackets he had to have someone make them for him but all together i think he only has $350 in it and it turned out great
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-26-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Ryan,

Big Bummer.

This is certainly no consolation, but when the platform is off, I keep the pins in the brackets on my boat. That way, when I put it on I have to pull out the pins first and they're in my hand and I have to do "something" with them after we slide the platform on the boat.

Junkyards? Used? Parted out boat? Google boat salvage and check your area.

Andy
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-26-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
Everybody has those days where bad luck rears its ugly head and nothing goes right, some of those days cost more than others though. Fortunately, there are better days ahead and good memories that will keep you going back. Keep an eye on eBay. You may be able to get some brackets from a Supra dealer, Supra forum or from a place like skidim.com
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-27-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
I found out the one on my VLX floats when I made the same mistake. Are you sure it didn't fall off while you were trailering?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-27-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
Know any divers that might look for it??
Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-27-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
David, we used the platform for the first couple sets. We had a very limited area to pull so we kept making 180 degree turns. I think it probably came off when hitting the wake after a big turn.

Kat, I know nothing about diving. I know two general areas where it might have fallen off. maybe 50 square yards in each area. Our lake is very green and merky. DO you think someone could find it?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-27-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
you should see if your marine insurance would cover it - you never know!! it was an accident, and they usually cover accidental damage and loss (depending on your policy i guess). no harm in calling them...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-27-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
i know that the wood ones float for sure. i had my friends boat docked at a contest one time and all of the sudden the announcer started calling my name and saying that the step was floating away. kind of funny. but yea my buddy forgot to put his pins in as well
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-27-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
I am betting they could find it. Ask a local dive shop that gives lessons. Even if you offer a $100 reward, it beats the insurance deductible and especially, the retail cost of replacement. The divers will see it as a real challenge if visibility is tough!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-28-2008, 2:58 AM Reply   
Platform with a handrail is $975 for an '06. Too bad you aren't closer, I have one for sale for $500 with the handrail.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-28-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
This may not help you, but I have a teak swim platform off my old 2001 Sanger SangAir/DLX that I would let go for pretty cheap.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-28-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
How deep is the water where you were riding? When I was little, we had neighbors who liked to lose things in the water. My dad and I were avid divers (goggles only, screw scuba), and we'd go down in 10-12 feet of water searching for stuff in an EXTREMELY murky lake. He found one guy's wedding band that he lost, and I found their kid's glasses for them. Last time I went snorkeling in the caribbean I was making 20 foot dives and chilling down there for a while, and could probably make 30 foot dives. This would all depend on whether or not someone wants to pay for gas down to Arizona and a pull afterwards. =P I kid, but still. I guarantee that if I could find a pair of glasses stuck in the mud in a murky lake, that you could put on some goggles, and find a swim platform at the bottom of the lake... Well, as long as it's not really really deep... If it is, then a diver is probably going to be your cheapest bet. Around here we have this dive team that is volunteer, who dive, bring up boats, find bodies, and stuff like that. But when people lose things in the water, these guys will come down for free and find them. See if you have a crew like that there. They generally just love diving and see things like this as great practice.

(Message edited by wakeboardern1 on April 28, 2008)
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-28-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
Thats crazy yesterday my buddy broke off his swimstep off of a 06 centurion enzo. Thats what happens when you tie up and have 10 people on 1 swimstep. Dont worry ryan you werent the only one having a bad day.