Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (matts0246)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-02-2010, 4:50 PM Reply   
which perfect pass should i get the paddle wheel or the stargazer gps?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-02-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
stargazer no questions. they still offer the paddle wheel?
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-02-2010, 8:52 PM Reply   
agree with A-Dub get the stargazer. I upgraded mine from the PP to the stargazer wish I would have done it sooner.
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-03-2010, 4:32 AM Reply   
I would call PP and talk to them. Most of the time, the StarGazer is better - but there are some conditions it's not. (like riding in a river with current)
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-03-2010, 5:10 AM Reply   
Not real sure how well the paddle wheel works but I installed stargazer 2 weeks ago and it has already paid for itself!
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-03-2010, 7:07 AM Reply   
I guess i won't understand the benefits of stargazer until i try it until but i have had zero problems
with my PP PRO and don't see a whole lot of room for improvement.
Can those who have had both give a comparison of the 2 and why stargazer is so much better.
I think the best option (if it existst) would be stargazer that could switch to paddle wheel mode when on rivers.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-03-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
I am on a river / lake with a nasty current most days and use the paddlewheel. It has been great and survived a lot of abuse . Hold speed very well, no complaints at all.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-03-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
I guess I ask, Why drill a hole in your hull, insert a paddle wheel, and use older technology? I don't see Stargazer having major issues on rivers.

In looking at their site, they don't even offer Pro anymore, it's all StarGazer. There is a reason for that.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-03-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
So have you used stargazer on rivers or you just don't see it having problems on rivers?
from PP site

4. Q. We ride in a river with significant current, is GPS the right way to go?

GPS is based on speed over ground, so if you have strong currents you may wish to stay with the paddle wheel. Running Star Gazer in slow currents may require a tweak of the set speed to adjust for the current
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-03-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
Well it must be true. I don't see where that is from. http://www.perfectpass.com/whichsystemfaq.html?
Old     (matts0246)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
yea i think im going with the stargazer, thanks
Old     (Showmethebutter)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-04-2010, 5:49 AM Reply   
Paddlewheel for tidal areas
Stargazer for lakes or areas with low tidal range.

Who are we to assume we know better than the guys at perfect pass and this was the advice they gave me.

If Stargazer was the be all and end all, why would they still offer the paddlewheel option?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-04-2010, 6:07 AM Reply   
here you go A-dub
http://www.perfectpass.com/pp_star_gazer.html#upgrade
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-04-2010, 6:21 AM Reply   
I agree if you can get away with not cutting into your hull do so. I am on a river almost all the time and would never choose a stargazer. I know they have the adjustment to calibrate for current, but that is just dumb, you have to float before riding to calibrate and make a switch when you change directions on the river. I just ordered and installed a paddle wheel version this last winter and it works great couldn't be happier.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-04-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
My boat came with the PP pro and I had all kinds of trouble I spent many hrs on the phone with PP and we decided the the paddle wheel was not getting a good flow o water to it so I went with the stagazer system and now it works perfect. So that would be one of my concerns is if you go with the pro, triple check to make sure that you have the paddle wheel in the ideal location you only get one shot at it. So to me why take the chance of maybe installing it wrong and then having to spend more money down the road to fix it just my $.02
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-04-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
Perhaps a simple option will be made available for adjusting for current in the near future like a single button for changes in direction.
Old     (zad0030)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-04-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
They do offer a version that can use both GPS and Paddle wheel. I know becuase I have it. But I think its exclusive just a few boat models.

If you aren't running in a river that has a substantial current, I dont know why you would even consider the paddlewheel. Maybe If you lake is indoors.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-04-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showmethebutter View Post
Paddlewheel for tidal areas
Stargazer for lakes or areas with low tidal range.

Who are we to assume we know better than the guys at perfect pass and this was the advice they gave me.

If Stargazer was the be all and end all, why would they still offer the paddlewheel option?
Where do the still offer the Pro/paddle wheel option? You can get a paddle wheel.

And Bird, thank you. That makes sense, it is weird that that is on the StarGazer page. Q1 Pretty much says outside of river currents, StarGazer is the end all be all PP
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-04-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
We have been using the Stargazer in our Avy for the past year on lakes and in two different rivers. I cannot tell any difference in performance between the lakes and rivers. You obviously need to adjust the speed down when going with the current.
Old    SamIngram            06-04-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
What about Zero Off?
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-04-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
I have PP Pro/paddlewheel and have driving boats with SmartTow. SmartTow is similar to StarGazer but Mercuiser only. I live on teh TX gulfcoast and the rivers I ride are tidal and subject to currents. I did not notice a difference with the GPS system. In fact, I am getting ready to upgrade to the Stargazer system I hope very soon.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-04-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
I just upgraded to the stargazer but have not been able to try it as it wont quit raining.We boat on rivers that are tidal and have current with the upgrade you have choices depending where you are boating the PP is able to operate in different modes you have speed based mode which still uses the existing paddle wheel,RPM mode which runs off engine RPM's and GPS mode
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-04-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
A-dub I agree, I would say that for the majority of people the Stargazer is going to be an all around better product. I guess the plus's that i have heard most are
consistent speed in turns
no need for speed calibrations
no need to change settings when running extra ballast
Obviously there is no paddle wheel to get clogged or to have inconsstent operation due to poor location
and what seems to be a biggie with most, no paddlewheel = no hole in boat.

However, I installed PP Pro with my dad in an afternoon and while the hole drilling was the most nerve racking, it was also the easiest step of the installation.
does anyone have a price on PP Pro to see what the cost difference of stargazer is?