Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    Chaserwaser            04-06-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
I dont understand haha like its almost you have to be a millionare I wish I could afford one! What kind of boats did everyone start off with and what do they now currently have?
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-06-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
I started with a blow up boat at the age of 8 then went to a canoo at age 12 then Bayliner when in H.S. After that I had to choose to get married or get a boat. So I got a Mastercraft V205. Boat lasted longer than the relationship. Decided to try marriage and she had an 08 Centurion. All is good now.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-06-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
Save up some cash for a good down payment, have good credit and get low payments, or you can save up and pay it all up front. Other option is to buy a cheaper older boat. In the end Boats are not expensive to buy, but also to maintain.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-06-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
lol david! .... Yea man it sucks I was spolied lil shiz back in the day I would def say we were one of the first 20 people in colorado with a tige and then my parents got divorced so bye bye to that . Then my mom met a new guy and he went to iraq for a lil bit and came back with enough cash to never work again ( thats the benefit of serving your country I guess ) and bought a brand new 08 tige for us to go have fun on it was one of the nicest things for a person to do for us as a family. Unfortunetly they are no longer together so bye to that now I get to chill with my friend's families with their tiges and centurions, cant complain as i still have riding opportunitys but man it would be nice just get even and older 2k wake boat for like 25k
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-06-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Friends are easier to get than money I don't own one and I ride legit wakeboats probably 2 days during the week and at least 4-6 sets each weekend. Get out there, be social, bring gas money, help clean, help put in and take out... all great ways to find a pull and get invited back. Posting on Wakeworld has been the catalyst for some of the best relationships I've ever had in life not just wake... use it.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-06-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
Not everyone has an awesome wakeboarding boat. I ride behind a 1990 Mastercraft Prostar 190 with a tower on it. It works, it's just not even close to the best, but thank God Wakesport Ranch opened up near where I live
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-06-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
I went from a cheap inboard (not a good wakeboard boat) and went in 50/50 with a best friend... we each could swing 10k.... and two 10k boats sucks, but 20k for a boat is a nice boat
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-06-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
Well I afford it by working 40 hours a week! Hahahaha and wakeboarding about another 40 hours. But growing up I started riding behind a 1991 Crownline 21 footer, then we got an Older Mastercraft probably in like 1992, 2 years later my parents bought a new 1994 Ski Brendella 190, now called Calabria. We had that for 6 years I learned a ton of inverts behind it. In 2000 my Dad made a bet with me that if I could get sponsored and learn 4 more inverts from my "goal" list, specifically a heel back mobe, a crow, a whirly, and a Pete he would buy me an X-Star. Needless to say that was motivation enough, I got sponsored and learned those moves plus a few more. We got a 2000 X-star, the two years later we upgraded again to a 2002 X-star. Now that boat is mine, I purchased it from my Dad in 2008. Life is all about priorities, if your priority is wakeboarding then stay focused you will get the boat your want.

I was lucky enough and still am lucky enough to be sponsored so that really helps out my wakeboard costs aside from a boat and Gas for the boat. When I went to college I really wanted to stay focused on what I needed to do to get in and get out with the education I needed to get the job I needed to afford the wakeboard lifestyle I was determined to live. So I kept my eyes on the prize took an insane amount of credits each semester and got the hell out of school in 3.5 years. Then I immediately bailed out to SoCal to keep riding all year. In 2006 I moved back to MN got a full time Job, made enough connections in the wakeboard world that I can ride in FL and CA any time in the winter to keep my wake skills in tune to keep my sponsors, keep teaching lesson, and make enough money to live and ride, enough in fact that this is my last year with my 2002 X-Star I will be getting myself a pretty 2010 X-Star sometime this summer or over the winter.

Priorities son, Priorities!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-06-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
+1 on the friends. Rode behind my first real wakeboard boat last summer, all because of a random thread on this site. Make yourself some friends who have the money/connections that you dont, and make sure you get invited back.
Old     (eshowcase)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
+1 for an old boat with a tower, fat sac, and some friends. You don't need a 80k boat to throw down on a wakeboard. I got myself a used '92 nautique in great shape for $8k.

Besides that, I think many folks even limit their ability to progress when new to wakeboarding by starting out behind their full ballast SAN boat with a pro sized wake, when its much easier to learn on a smaller wake w/ shorter line and build up from there.

my two cents.
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-06-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
You could always sue Sea Ray for $3.5 mil...
Old     (pip9ball)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-06-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
Got to college, get a good paying job :-) Or have rich parents.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-06-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
Boats Ive owned: 77 Hawaiin Bubble Deck. Purchased cheap with a Ford 460 with a quarter size hole in one piston. Built a wrecking yard engine for it. Ran like a top for two seasons then I almost flipped it one day and new it was time to sell. Next boat was 88 Ski Sanger that needed a full floor and upholstery replacement. Repaird that one and sold it for a profit and put that towards the 94 Ski Sanger. Did a bunch of upgrades to that and traded that in on my current boat, 06 Sanger V210. If you are good with your hands start with an older DD and work your way up. It can be done with a little patience.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-06-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
1997- bought our first boat, a 1995 Prostar 190 for 20k bought with home equity loan

2004- new Supra Launch SS for 38k

I'm lucky that my wife loves the lake lifestyle. When I average it out, our boats have cost us less than 5k/year. That INCLUDES gas and wake gear. Not a bad deal in imo
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-06-2010, 7:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip9ball View Post
Got to college, get a good paying job :-) Or have rich parents.
Could not agree more. Get an education, work hard, then play hard.

T
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-06-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
i work my ass off to make my payment...... but id rather have the boat now while im young than have to wait till im older in life and wouldnt have to make payments.
Old     (stinky_1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-06-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
I know for me, I rode behine a 1960's glasstron boat with a 65 hp outboard for my first season. Bought a wakeboard from Costco for another $160 and was ready to go. We rode that boat 2 or 3 times a week for the entire summer.

Over the winter I picked up a bayliner (88) with a small small 2.3L 4 banger ford motor. It had a blown head gasket, but I didnt realize it until the season started. So, I took a couple weeks, rebuilt the motor, then sold the boat for $2500 more than I bought it for.

Took all that money and went and picked up a 77 Ski Nautique. We used that boat the rest of the summer.

Over this winter I have been snagging up deals on ballast bags, and getting some new wakeboard gear. Found a LF fish on Ebay, and picked up some 2010 Ronix Cells. Now I think I will finally get the pop that I love, and be able to squeeze a $50K wake out of a $5k boat!

Ill let you all know how it goes.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-06-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
I pay for the truck and my brother pays for the boat. It has worked out well so far. Before next summer we are going to go in on a boat together.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-06-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
+1 for Christian.

My 2 cents. Buying a boat is like deciding to have kids....there's never a perfect time have kids in anyone's life just like there's never a perfect time to buy a boat. But people will hang out with you if you have a boat, and they won't always want to be around your kids. It's a stretch I know, but you get the idea.

Wadholm, I know you're out there! ;0

Best advice, be smart with your money, save a little, and buy something you can enjoy and own for 3-5 years. Don't stretch yourself too thin. You'll sleep a lot better not having a high dollar, depreciating liability hanging over your head.
Old     (JDubs)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
I got an education and set my goals high. I didnt expect anyone to GIVE me anything. I then started working my rear end off to get to where I am today. I know I know crazy idea huh. Most Americans these days have no clue what I am talking about. ( this post was not directed at you , just ranting).
Not sure how old you are. Best thing to do is work work work and save save save. You will be there before you know it.
Old     (MasonH)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-06-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
Sell drugs

(Not serious)
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-06-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
You're 19... find yourself a cougar, with some cash, that likes boating!
Old     (Focker4)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-06-2010, 8:57 PM Reply   
First of all - very good thread...

I dont know exactly how long Ive been riding but its been at least 12 years now. My parents have owned runabouts and bass boats I used to ride behind back in the directional days but I have personally never owned a boat. I've been a 'boat wh0re' for the majority of that time.

The best thing you can do if you're in the position of having to be a wh0re is to be a good one. The thing about wakeboarding is you can't do it alone when a boat is involved. The boat owner has willingly accepted the cost (which can be substantial) and should understand what all is involved in owning a boat. The best thing you can do is be mindful of that. Understand there's a lot more that goes into boat ownership than the monthly payment. Things like, maintenance, insurance, having a vehicle that can tow the boat, leasing a slip if towing is not optional or practical, gas (both in the boat and in the vehicle pulling it), the inevitable F ups that will occur (IE busting a prop on something 2 in. below the water surface), and here's a big one - TIME. A lot of time is spent cleaning, maintaining and dealing with owning one in general.

Do everything you can to help out since the owner is already shouldering the lion's share. Offer to drive when you aren't riding (make sure your a good driver), bring beer, bring chicks, BRING YOUR OWN GEAR, if you can do a thing or two offer advice if you can, stick around and help clean up / wipe it down/ put the cover on it. Pitch in good for gas. Always ask if there's anything else you can do. Don't b!tch/whine or make life difficult in general while on the boat. Boat owners appreciate all this stuff, and luckily for us wh0res out there, there is a lot of awful competition out there.

A book could be written on boat whore etiquette, but I digress... Also, when you finally can afford/are in the position to get your own boat - dont forget those that hauled you around behind theirs all those times.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-06-2010, 9:02 PM Reply   
Having a boat doesn't need to cost all that much, especially not to the amount that it is restricted for millionaires.

2 summers ago I bought my first boat for 11k...2002 glastron gx 185. 2k via eBay and a tower, stereo, and ballast were on the way. I bought the boat with 52 hrs, sold with ~160hrs last fall for $14,500. Sure there was gas, oil changes, winterization, docking, etc. but with buddies helping with gas it was very affordable. Long story short, buy a boat that is a few years old and has already seen it's most significant depreciation and the boat itself can cost virtually nothing to own. Furthermore it is a liquid asset and worth nearly what you paid (unless purchased brand new) and a sale can always be made should times get tough.

After selling the glastron, I picked up a new epic and plan to keep it for many years. Even it isn't a huge cost to own. Money is needed up front but can sell at any time at a loss of maybe 3-5k/yr.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-07-2010, 4:56 AM Reply   
Old company I worked for gave me a company truck and gas card. Sold my truck, bought an older (1998) Tige. Kept it for 2 years, and decided it was time to upgrade. So went to Iraq as a contractor for year, came home and bought current boat. 2001 X-star. Love it. Perfectly happy with it.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-07-2010, 5:36 AM Reply   
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a couple years to save up enough money for a good down payment and financed the rest. When we were at the boat show, a dealer friend told me that it was time for a new boat for us. I told him that when our current boat is payed off, we would think about it. He replied with, you should have enough equity in your boat to be able to afford a new one. Equity in a boat? That was a first!
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-07-2010, 5:38 AM Reply   
For me its simple. I dont have the biggest nicest house of all of my friends, I dont drive the nicest truck, and I don't live above my means. I do however have the sickest boat
Old    Chaserwaser            04-07-2010, 6:38 AM Reply   
Haha I appreciate all the comments guys Its not like im a kid just trying to get everything bought for him I actually work full time as a graphic designer making around 32k starting so you know I am not going to complain at all but it would be nice to have the "wants" instead of the "needs" :-p but welcome to life right?
Old    Chaserwaser            04-07-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by elc View Post
You're 19... find yourself a cougar, with some cash, that likes boating!
But on the other hand ..... :
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-07-2010, 6:42 AM Reply   
DINK's + Used Boat
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-07-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
I am like you charles when all my friends bought new trucks I bought an used one when they were buying $300,000 houses I bought a $170,000 house but it is close to a lake with all the stuff we needed in a house. I am also lucky that my wife is into boating just as much as I am. At the time we got into boating it seemed like all we were doing was going to the bars every weekend and everyone knows it doesn't take much to drop $100 in one night at a bar. after the first year in are first boat (2002 rienell I/O) the memories that we made with friends and family and staying out of the bars are priceless. I remember growing up my family was into camping and fishing a lot, I can't tell you what I had for dinner last night but I can tell you about all the good times I had growing up doing that stuff with my family, so if I have to make some sacrifices not to have the nicest house or truck and to be able to have a nicer boat and camper to make the same type of memories with my family then that is what I do.
Old     (onepoorpilot)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-07-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
I sat on the dock with my board until this guy with a yellow mobius came back in for the night, he asked why I had been sitting there all day and I said I had been waiting for him to ask me that vary question. Been friends ever since lol. Boat payment = 0 although I have xstar dreams-
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-07-2010, 7:25 AM Reply   
I bought a wakeboat long before I ever should have (LOL, I probably still shouldn't own it). The first two years of ownership I worked two jobs (even 3 at one point). This was when I was fresh out of college, and had just started my "career". I worked as a server/bartender along with my professional job. Now that my Jeep is paid off, and my salary has made a significant increase from 3 years ago (still nothing to brag about), I'm only working my one professional job. BUT, I also just bought a house a few months ago. I have two renters which pay for 83% of my mortgage.

I also made a lot of sacrifices to my other extra expenses....don't go out much, and don't spend a lot on other things. What helped me make it work was making a "schedule" in Exel....basically I planned out my expenses for every week/month for the next 6 months or so and stuck to it.

A lot of people told me I was crazy to go out and spend over $30k on a boat (while still renting a house, and paying for a Jeep), but I would not trade it for anything! The last three summers have been the best times ever. I have it on a 12 year loan.
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-07-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
We started with a 1974 tri-hull, then went to a really cheap 1987 16' bayliner with an out-board motor, to a 1990 17' Well craft with a 4 cylinder, to a 1997 tige pre2002wt inboard, to a 2000 Centurion elite V-Drive, to now our 2001 MC X-Star (205V). With every boat we had we purchased them cheap, fixed them up a bit and resold them for enough to keep upgrading with out having a loan or a really small loan. Plus both my wife and I have full time jobs and them some extra boat repair work I do on the side to help out. Eventually you will get there, just don't go out and break the bank just to have the best thing you see. Good Luck!
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-07-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
When I decided to take the plunge and buy one of my own, I started saving at the end of the summer, basically every spare dime I had went ot the "boat fund" saved all winter and closer to spring I started looking for a deal. I wasnt in a hurry, It had to be the right boat at the right price. I found it in late august of that year. Did not have neough cash to pay in full, but had the majority of it. I financed the rest and will have it payed off this year. Its nothing special, but I love it. '89 SN2001 with a fly high pole.
Old     (vrider202)      Join Date: May 2008       04-07-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
I started with an old Bayliner tri hull that had a brand new Yamaha 70 outboard on it. Kept in for 10 years and bought an Ebbtide Mystique new in 1995. Kept it for ten years and then ordered a new vRide in 2006. Love it, love it, love it...
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-07-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
I worked part time for 2 years making $7.75 an hour while going to school. April of 2007, I had enough to buy my 89 Tristar. The next year I saved all my money and put a tower, board racks, and a pair of pro 80's on it. Best investment I've ever made!
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
Don't stretch yourself first and foremost. Buy a crapper and enjoy. Better to be on the water in something than not being out at all.

Go to the 'find a third' section and be nice to the boat owner.

I'm a boat owner and doesn't charge gas, but I like my crew to be there when we plan on, and not cancel on me. Cleaning the boat and helping where you can goes a long ways. Help an owner use his expensive toy and he'll help ya get some pulls.

Love the Cougar suggestion!
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
i agree. i get so frustrated at the rich guys and there $50k+ boats (some of them a new one every year) i will never be there. but that doesnt stop my passion for the sport.

heres what i do/did. im 29. ive had the same camaro for 9 years and same bike for 6. bought both used and paid off.
i also just wakeboard and work. i dont go to movies, out to eat, clubin, smoke, drink etc. saves alot. also my rent is only $750 for a big 3 bdrm house, and i split that with my g/f.

first boat i bought was a 82 SN2001 with a monster tower. paid $5k, and paid it off within 2 years and sold it when i found the boat posted after this one.

stumbled across a killer deal on the exact boat i wanted. i wasnt ready to buy, but i knew the price would never come again. andi t was only 75 miles from me.
so i bought it, a 2003 moomba mobius LSV. paid 20k out the door, tax, title, trailer, tags, registration, everything. payments are like $360 i think. had it for year and a half now. i couldnt be happier.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-07-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
For me, it was all about waiting until the time was right. I went to school and graduated, got married, got a good job, bought a reasonable house within my means, got a better job, then bought a boat. My first boat was an 05 Moomba Outback and I was 26 at the time. It's all about the effort you put in to reaching your goals and where you want to be in life. I'm sitting right where I want to now. I can afford to do what I want most of the time and enjoy life. I don't have to work crazy hours, my wife is able to work part time so the kid never has to go to daycare. We both had to put in a lot of hard work to get here though. For me, it was 4 years of 16 hour days. Up at 5am to work my but off in the blazing hot sun, get off of work at 3, run to my moms to take a shower, then straight to class. Had class until 10pm, then the hour drive home. In bed between 12 and 1, just to get up at 5 and do it all over again. 5 days a week for 4 years, and sometimes worked weekends.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-07-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=stang_killa_ss;1570900]i agree. i get so frustrated at the rich guys and there $50k+ boats (some of them a new one every year) i will never be there. but that doesnt stop my passion for the sport.

heres what i do/did. im 29. ive had the same camaro for 9 years and same bike for 6. bought both used and paid off.
i also just wakeboard and work. i dont go to movies, out to eat, clubin, smoke, drink etc. saves alot. also my rent is only $750 for a big 3 bdrm house, and i split that with my g/f.

first boat i bought was a 82 SN2001 with a monster tower. paid $5k, and paid it off within 2 years and sold it when i found the boat posted after this one.

stumbled across a killer deal on the exact boat i wanted. i wasnt ready to buy, but i knew the price would never come again. andi t was only 75 miles from me.
so i bought it, a 2003 moomba mobius LSV. paid 20k out the door, tax, title, trailer, tags, registration, everything. payments are like $360 i think. had it for year and a half now. i couldnt be happier.

Thats tight man, its not like I actually can find one and be able to afford it for around 20-30k but tis kind of impossible when you....
Dont have a truck first of all ( First step )
Dont have a place to store it ( Apartment ) maybe a friend could be genrious for awhile haha
and on top of those two things with gas and food and all other necesities its just not enough...
300 a paycheck (which are rougly around 1000 ) therse just no way like if something happened to the car or the boat or an emergency id be toast!
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-07-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
I started with a 1989 Monterey I/O. I bought that when I was 18 with some money I made mowing grass. I paid 5200.00 for it. Rode this boat for about 5 years and decided to get into the inboard game. I sold the Monterey to a fraternity brother of mine for 5 grand and bought the boat i have now.
I thought about selling the Supra this spring and getting a V-drive. I have the money but decided not to spend it just yet.
I got a call from my fraternity brother and he is selling the boat that he bought from me just last year. He says that with some help from his parents he is going to get an 04 Super Air Nautique. This upset me greatly. Damn i want that boat!
I am in no way putting down the guys/gals who get help from their parents. I guess all I am getting at is that different people go about it different ways.
There is no doubt that a nice V-drive inboard is the optimal boat for the job. But if you have ever watched the Parks Bibliography you will see that to an extent a wake is a wake. A boat can't add skill, or possibly more importantly...balls.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-07-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgettel View Post
I started with a 1989 Monterey I/O. I bought that when I was 18 with some money I made mowing grass. I paid 5200.00 for it. Rode this boat for about 5 years and decided to get into the inboard game. I sold the Monterey to a fraternity brother of mine for 5 grand and bought the boat i have now.
I thought about selling the Supra this spring and getting a V-drive. I have the money but decided not to spend it just yet.
I got a call from my fraternity brother and he is selling the boat that he bought from me just last year. He says that with some help from his parents he is going to get an 04 Super Air Nautique. This upset me greatly. Damn i want that boat!
I am in no way putting down the guys/gals who get help from their parents. I guess all I am getting at is that different people go about it different ways.
There is no doubt that a nice V-drive inboard is the optimal boat for the job. But if you have ever watched the Parks Bibliography you will see that to an extent a wake is a wake. A boat can't add skill, or possibly more importantly...balls.

Alright well here its my promise to everyone on here who doesnt need a wakeboarding boat if I win the lotto everyone its getting a boat of their choice and I would expect the same from anyone else hahahaha Wakeboarding Fam for Life Beechessssss
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
chase i was in the same spot, i had a boat but no truck. i borrowed a truck for the first 6 months or so. then found a grand cherokee V8 for $5k locally.
look up my thread on Wakeboarder.com called "wakeboarding for $10,000" my story about my boat and truck purchase and getting on the lake with a great setup on a budget.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-07-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
chase i was in the same spot, i had a boat but no truck. i borrowed a truck for the first 6 months or so. then found a grand cherokee V8 for $5k locally.
look up my thread on Wakeboarder.com called "wakeboarding for $10,000" my story about my boat and truck purchase and getting on the lake with a great setup on a budget.
I knew your name looked familier from some where haha the search doesnt work on wakeboarder right now I dont think , If it works for you if you could post the link to your story it would be much appreciated!

PS is that your wife or gf in your sig?, if so you are a lucky man!
Old    Chaserwaser            04-07-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
nvm finaly found it!
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
gf of 8 years, thanks

here ya go
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewto...ghlight=sn2001
Old    Chaserwaser            04-07-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
So how did you get to your Mobius now then?
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
see my origonal post above. found the mobius online just looking for fun.ended up buying it and sold the nautique.
full story here
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewto...ghlight=mobius
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-07-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
Prioritize and sacrifice, I give up a lot to have a boat. Bought my first one when it was brand new and I was 23 and fresh out of college, had to live with my rents to pay for it until I was 26. Gave up my wife and bought my second boat at 33
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-07-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
just bought my first boat this year, not college educated and probably have a income under the average in the u.s.... be smart with your money and if you like wakeboarding enough... you can easily make it happen
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-07-2010, 6:58 PM Reply   
This is actually a good thread and I think a lot of the responses are also helpful, sometimes a post like the original can warrant a flame war.

This is just me, but this is what I did. I grew up around boating, and so did my wife. We've always been "around" boats, but neither of us ever owned one. Her dad owns a 1979 Invader (outboard) which is actually what we started out wakeboarding behind.

Then, by chance and the way of Wakeworld, I found a NJ riders thread and saw there was a competition down at the shore, so my wife and I (g/f at the time) decided to go. I recognized one of the guys from the thread at the comp from his profile pic, and then met a few others. We've been friends ever since. My wife and I are lucky to have an extremely great group of friends that all share the same passion as us regarding being out on the boat and also wakeboarding. I have a few friends that are pretty damn good, but for all of us it's about just being out on the water having great times with friends and/or family.

We don't currently own a boat. For the last 6 years we've been fortunate enough to get pulls behind all of our friends boats, so we are certified boat whores. We of course help out anyway we can, gas, beer, food, cleaning, etc. you name it.

Like someone else said before, there's never going to be "the time to buy a boat", just like having kids or getting married. I'm 30 and just got married last summer, we bought a condo together and have had that for 4 yrs. We'd like to buy a house however with the current economy and housing situation we're kind of stuck because we bought near the high of the market. Some of our friends have nice houses, and I'd sure like to be in a house but the proper time will come. We also paid for our wedding ourselves so that put a significant dent in our savings, but we've built it back up just in the last few months. We are now "ready" to buy a boat, because there will never be a "right" time to buy. We are in negotiations with someone now, and I hope everything goes smooth with it. The memories we'll make will last forever, just like the ones we've made over the last 6 yrs. on our friend's boats.

It all depends on the person. I was never in a situation at 25, 26, 27 to buy a boat. Now at 30, I have a good job, a decent salary, savings, and a wife who shares the same passions as I do. So we're ready. But I'm not buying a brand new $60k boat. My budget maxes out at $35k, I still want to be able to save for the down payment on the house while also making my payment on my boat.

Just be smart about your decisions. I would have loved to have owned a boat over the last few years, but it just wasn't in the cards and I am glad I didn't make a stupid decision.

Oh, and you need a truck first! I actually got that about two yrs ago after being a life-long car driver. I'll never own a car again because I love having a truck.
Old     (pip9ball)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-07-2010, 10:19 PM Reply   
As several other members have mentioned, be patient and don't stretch yourself thin. There will be a time when things just fall into place, however having a plan will certainly help you achieve this much faster!

I grew up in the central valley of CA (mecca of several boat companies) and several of my buddies parent's had boats! I pretty much lived on the water during the summers and always dreamed of having my own someday. All of that went away when I found out that my girlfriend (now wife) was pregnant! We were both 16 years old and still in school. From that day on, my priorities changed on a dime and I focused on our new family. We both worked nights and weekends until we finished high school. I went off to college while my wife worked full time. Four years later I graduated with a degree in Computer and Electrical Engineering. I wanted to buy a boat sooo bad after I graduated, however my wife still needed to finish her education. We switched roles and I worked full time so she could go to school. Another 4 years, one kid later and she finally graduates! After her graduation our first priority was finding a house. We soon settled on a nice house in a great community. I created a budget where I accounted for everything (I'm very anal) including our kids college funds. Just when I was ready to pull the trigger......we found out she's pregnant again! The boat had to wait until we could pay off the vehicles. Another year has passed and I finally bought a new MB Sport TWB and couldn't be happier. I'm still only 32 years old and am looking forward to many great years with my family and friends. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can do it!

-P
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-08-2010, 5:23 AM Reply   
Just like others have said, start small, build up. My first boat was a 1985 Galaxie 17.5 footer. I didn't have a truck either but had a beater 1989 caprice classic. Pulled the boat just fine, but man we did look like rednecks.. Learned to board behind that. A friend bought a demo Malibu response, so my boat went away and was eventually sold(I figured out for the time we owned the boat, other than gas, it cost me about $25 per month). We used his boat for the better part of 10 years and still do. Gradually faded out of wakeboarding for other passions (mountain biking and archery mostly) and once or twice a summer has been the norm for the last several years.

Well, we went to the lake a few more times last summer and my wifes brother and family moved back in town and we kind of got bit again. Oh, my wife finally decided to try boarding after watching me for 10+ years, and got bit, so that helps. Now we were fortunate that the housing market here in OK stayed fairly flat and our mortgage was old, so we had a lot of equity. We decided to take the plunge. We didn't go out and buy a new boat but my requirement was a pure wakeboat, not just for the boarding, but because they are bigger inside as well. Found a really nice used 2003 vlx in Dallas and picked it up for under $30K. Also took out enough money on the refi to build (My Dad and I did most of the work) a very basic garage to house it. I am 42 now, have been on and off wakeboards since the late 90's and am just now getting the boat I want. Just have to be patient. You will get there if you really want to.
Attached Images

Last edited by sodaksooner; 04-08-2010 at 5:25 AM.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-08-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
I happy for all you guys its crazy all the stories you all have and yet have managed to actually get a boat, I have my hopes and dreams set now because obviously I can do it if you all eventually did!
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-08-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
did the same route as others have said. started with an 88 sea ray sorrento 19ft rode behind that a yr. (wake was pretty much non existant). the next yr put a monster tower on it. dropped a grand on that. rode behind that another 3 yrs and finally sold it this year and got a real boat, used 04 centurion. spent all my savings on it. living very cheaply rent, cable, electric, heat around $400-$450/mo. after college saved some money by living at home for close to a year and working. dont have a truck either. use my dads 250 to haul the boat to the lake and always buy a slip at a marina. No towing rocks, get out of work take the cover off and ride. Boat stays in the pole barn during winter for free.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-08-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
Like someone said before, priotities. I have a beater car that i drive. 92 acura integra. Thing is junk, but paid cash for it, get's great gas milage and does the trick. My wife drives the truck and payments on our current boat are $250 month. Last boat was paid off so had a good trade in. But yeah, start small and build up man. It can be done.
Old    sperbet            04-08-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
buy a older used boat and do some of the work yourself. I bought a 95 SSN about 6 years ago. Installed the tower, ballast and PP myself. If you want it enough you'll make it happen
Old    ausbill32            04-08-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
I found a Moomba 2007 LSV for 28k this past February so I picked her up. I waited patiently for 4-6 months until I found that deal. It needed perfect pass and rear ballast but otherwise, it was loaded with tower, speakers, and middle ballast, etc. I did a 5 year loan so I'll be living the good life loan free in 2015. My first boat was a 2003 Tahoe Q3 Ski/Fish

To save money, I don't eat out much. When I go out to dance, I don't drink. My truck is older, it's a 2003 F-150 so I have no payment. I bought a modest house for 147k and I rent out one of the rooms. $20-30 bucks here and there all adds up quick.

The best deal though I've seen on a boat other than mine, in the last 6 months is this Malibu listed on Craig's yesterday, it lists a 2005 Malibu for 28k

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1680720549.html

Last edited by ausbill32; 04-08-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-08-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
and its days like this in Colorado which make me dread that im an adult now with a full time job and cant enjoy the lake like I should be doing and have been the past 10 other years!!!! I dont care what anyone thinks im going to be the 50 year old wakeboarding still, im never going to grow up... Suck it
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-08-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
No matter how cheap or crappy your first boat is, years from now when you have an expensive boat, you'll probably look back at that first boat as the most fun you ever had on the water. Just get on the water with whatever you can afford and you'll have FUN!
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaserwaser View Post
and its days like this in Colorado which make me dread that im an adult now with a full time job and cant enjoy the lake like I should be doing and have been the past 10 other years!!!! I dont care what anyone thinks im going to be the 50 year old wakeboarding still, im never going to grow up... Suck it
Welcome to Life Chase!
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-08-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
I went in with a partner on a '98 Malibu Sportster. Bought him out after 5 years and had it for another year and paid it off. Sold that one and saved some more and just bought a '06 Supra Launch 21V for $26k.
Attached Images

Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-08-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
Here was a picture of the Malibu we just sold to buy the Supra. Had a lot of great times on that boat.
Attached Images

Old    Chaserwaser            04-09-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
See man id even be happy with that 98' malibu that thing just looks like good times! Id rather have a small boat to actually board on whenever I want then not board at all... Lets get tropical!
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-09-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
I got that Malibu from a repo website in '04 for a ripping deal and never had many problems with it. Just wanted to upgrade to a pure wakeboarding boat. There are deals out there...you just have to be patient. Good luck in your qwest.
Focker4 had a great post about being a 3rd and getting invited back. That goes a long long way for the boat owner. I have been fortunate to have good friends to help out with gas, beer, food and clean up that it has made being a boat owner incredibly worthwhile.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-09-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Yea I totally agree, I wish INT tournys still went on in Colorado, alot of friends and relationships lost because I dont see them anymore
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-09-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
find a good paying job... get the good education for that job... work hard... save hard.... play hard...

or be liek me and work a a bank!!! jackpot!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-10-2010, 5:48 AM Reply   
Just make sure you are SAVING every month- Dollar cost averaging. I was always told save 10% of my annual income and you'll be OK- after starting that plan at 22, it's worked out for me and I continue to do so every year. Making a boat payment is not a savings plan- so if you can accomplish the savings part first and you have cash left over- get a boat! I never regretted buying my first boat or the one I have now- I also started small ( Wellcraft 19ft- for 10K) and the cool part about getting a used boat is they dont depreciate very much. If you care for it, you should be able to get most of your money back. I think the Wellcraft cost me about $ 1,500 for 2 years use ( depreciation) plus the gas, etc. My Tige will be a different story- but I saved up and paid cash for it so I don't fret the payments.

Everyone's got different priorities- but saving something every month will help create a habit that becomes part of your DNA and it will serve you well down the road. .02
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       04-10-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiansurfer View Post
I started with a blow up boat at the age of 8 then went to a canoo at age 12 then Bayliner when in H.S. After that I had to choose to get married or get a boat. So I got a Mastercraft V205. Boat lasted longer than the relationship. Decided to try marriage and she had an 08 Centurion. All is good now.
This is the sickest reply i've seen in a long time. I absolutely LOVE it!
sorry just had to tell you
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-10-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
To Any lades reading this post: Read Colombiansurfer's and Norbi's post very closely. The way to a wakeboarders heart is not through his stomach or through his pants. If you want to bag yourself a good looking wakeboarder guy...... buy a nice boat. We can look past alot ofstuff if there is a shinny new X-Star in your drive way. Make deal with your daddy and get that boat instead of the big wedding! If you already have that boat give me a call. If is is a white X-80 w white interior and teak I will bring the ring site unseen.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
If you already have that boat give me a call. If is is a white X-80 w white interior and teak I will bring the ring site unseen. [QUOTE]

The boat or the chick?
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2010, 4:55 PM Reply   
I drive a paid for truck and have a roommate. No roommate equals no gas money
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-10-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
sold my 4 wheel drive chevy truck for much more than i would get for a trade from the dealer and bought a full size chevy van from an individual almost brand new for less than $20,000(still had factory warranty) and then bought a malibu response for $18,000 from an individual. In each transaction i saved several thousand dollars.