Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (singapore_sling)      Join Date: May 2007       08-02-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
People always say that flex boards(Slingshot etc.) have really soft landings so I'm wondering if anyone can testify that they have blown a knee out using a flex board.Obviously its not very scientific but it may give us a good idea.

Reason I posted this is because if flex boards keep your knees in better shape my next board will be a flexer. I've never blown out a knee but the thought of being out of commission,getting surgery and doing rehab just makes me cringe.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-02-2008, 4:59 PM Reply   
I haven't had surgery for my knee (front leg) but do a lot of physical thereapy but it has been a LOT less stress on my knees compared to my Ibex
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-02-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
you have obviously never had a knee blown. doesnt matter how soft the board lands, you can still blow a knee. wanna save your knees... get a cti knee brace. its saved mine several times. i ride that and a slingshot so it must be impossible to blow a knee
Old     (cedarbro)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
Knees are funny in that you could land from 20 feet HARD and nothing happens and then you barely catch an edge and boom there it goes. I hurt my right knee twice in football and both were when I was barely hit and then Ive been lit up and been just fine. Like Kevin said go and get yourself a GOOD knee brace (dont skimp on the quality) And make sure and wear it every time out.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
Call me stupid, but it seems like even with a flex board your knees would still be suseptable. with your bindings all the way out, if you land and the middle goes upward you've just created a horrable aerodynamics flaw, am I wrong?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-02-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
never had any major injuries and i too cringe at the thought. but i definitely feel like my knees and legs in general don't shake, wobble, and hurt as much after sets since riding slingshot. "coosh" is my number one reason for buying my gear. lucky for me pop and overall fun-ness came with it too.

i think that casing the wake is much nicer on a flex board (slingshot) too.

even if you could collect some numbers and statistics of injuries, the data would be biased
mostly due to how new flex is. over a decade of data for traditional boards vs. one maybe two years of flex board numbers. ya, flex would definitely show less knee injuries because of the issue of time alone.