Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-04-2011, 8:15 PM Reply   
This is a flammable thread so let's not bicker, name call, troll, whatever. I'm not one to tell Daniel how to live his live, nor is anyone here likely to change his path. But I know a lot of you have opinions and information that could develop this thread into something that we can all learn from and kill time reading. Stupid time.

Do you think Daniel Grant should pursue a career in cableboarding or wakeskating?

To attempt successful careers in both would be challenging due to different competition schedules. Plus, he would have to practice almost twice as much as a competitor who did only one discipline. Some contests allow him to compete in both wakeskate and cableboard, but events like Byerly Toe Jam make him have to choose. Rathy tried to wakeskate on the side but decided it wasnt worth it.

Danial beat Fooshee, arguable the best cableboarder, at UCW 2011

Daniel won Wake the Line 2011

He has proven that he can be the best at either.

Is the obvious choice cableboarding?
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-04-2011, 8:40 PM Reply   
Hes doin work at both, why not just continue shredding on both types of boards?
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-04-2011, 10:48 PM Reply   
Well, Mark McMorris chose snowboarding over wakeboarding and he probably makes more money as a top snowboarder than a top ten ranking wakeboarder. Does he make as much as Harley Clifford? Maybe. I dunno.

(Mark's section starts at 1:30)

Surely wakeboarding makes more money than wakeskating. So...

Would Daniel Grant (or any athlete is his position) make more money overall in his professional career if he chose only cableboarding and no wakeskating (except for fun)?
Would wakeskating put him at greater risk of injury than cableboarding, causing a potentially shorter career and less money?
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
Well, Mark McMorris chose snowboarding over wakeboarding and he probably makes more money as a top snowboarder than a top ten ranking wakeboarder. Does he make as much as Harley Clifford? Maybe. I dunno.
While I don't know the bank accounts of either, I have to assume that Mark is making a lot more money that Harley. First, look at the difference between prize purses between snowboarding and wakeboarding. Snowboard contests payout at least 4 to 5 times as much versus wakeboarding. Then figure Burton probably has deeper pockets than Liquid Force. Both are sponsored by Oakley, but figure more team budget goes to snow than wake.

Cisco, didn't you break your own moral code by posting a video with Dylan Miller in it? Are you worried about the impact it's going to have on all the kids out there?
Old    BenjTrogdon            07-05-2011, 12:26 AM Reply   
Whats cable boarding? If you are going to call WAKEBOARDING "cable boarding".... why arent you calling wakeskating "cable skating"?

Anyways... If I was him I would keep pushing both sports.
Old     (delphidelatorre)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-05-2011, 2:28 AM Reply   
why pick when you can have both. kid has a ton of fun on either... i think thats why he is shredding so good, cus he is allowing himself to have fun period. should he decide on just one i think he will get burnt out.
Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-05-2011, 8:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjTrogdon View Post
Whats cable boarding? If you are going to call WAKEBOARDING "cable boarding".... why arent you calling wakeskating "cable skating"?

Anyways... If I was him I would keep pushing both sports.
I gotta agree with everything you just said
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-05-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
i think if he continues to push both sports, he will only improve his own abilities, and I think one helps the other.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-05-2011, 8:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjTrogdon
Ahhh, the old Cableboard vs Wakeboard debate.

Cableboarding is riding a board designed specifically for performance in the cablepark, having a more durable base (slower on water), no fins and a much softer flex than boards designed to ride boat wakes. The highest ranking pro wakeboarders dont ride boards with slow bases, no fins, and softer flex. Harley doesn't compete with his grindbase cuz its slower on water and he can replace a board that gets mangles. You could ride finless on your wakeboard, but your not gonna win Pro Tour stops when the wind kicks up. Let's see who's not riding finless: Shane, Parks, Harf, Shapiro, Murray, Harley, Rusty, Phil. Let's see who's not riding flex: same.

Wakeskates are the same weather you hit kickers on the cable or boat wakes. Until a new variation of a wakeskate just for cableparks is invented, I don't see why they would be called cableskates. You can't just call a wakeskate a cableskate cuz you ride it on the cable. Just like you can't just call a cableboard a wakeboard cuz you ride it behind the boat.

Back in the old days, you could put grip tape on a wakeboard and call it a wakeskate. Nowadays you can take the fins off a grindbase flexboard and call it a cableboard. Crazy.
Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-05-2011, 9:44 PM Reply   
Quote:

Cableboarding is riding a board designed specifically for performance in the cablepark, having a more durable base (slower on water), no fins and a much softer flex than boards designed to ride boat wakes. The highest ranking pro wakeboarders dont ride boards with slow bases, no fins, and softer flex. Harley doesn't compete with his grindbase cuz its slower on water and he can replace a board that gets mangles. You could ride finless on your wakeboard, but your not gonna win Pro Tour stops when the wind kicks up. Let's see who's not riding finless: Shane, Parks, Harf, Shapiro, Murray, Harley, Rusty, Phil. Let's see who's not riding flex: same.

Wakeskates are the same weather you hit kickers on the cable or boat wakes. Until a new variation of a wakeskate just for cableparks is invented, I don't see why they would be called cableskates. You can't just call a wakeskate a cableskate cuz you ride it on the cable. Just like you can't just call a cableboard a wakeboard cuz you ride it behind the boat.

Back in the old days, you could put grip tape on a wakeboard and call it a wakeskate. Nowadays you can take the fins off a grindbase flexboard and call it a cableboard. Crazy.
pretty sure no one values your opinion.... haha every time i see you write something a heap of people give your sh*t....

I am going to say this I ride more cable than boat. I don't ride a flex board as i dont like flex, i ride with fins because there moulded into the board and help you hold an awesome edge for loading the line and I dont ride with a board with a slider base... Oh and the board i ride behind the boat is the same as cable.... your just a kook

There is no need for segregation between boat riders and cable riders we are all wakeboarders deal with it or the sport will never grow. there will be no progression no innovation as there will be no need for it...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-06-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Oh the irony.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-05-2011, 9:33 PM Reply   
Most of the posts are right: why not wakeboard and wakeskate? or as cisco calls it cableboard and cableskate. Or did he mean snowboard and snowskate?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-06-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
I ride cable and wake at least once a week. Shred is shred. Cable will make you a better behind the boat and the boat will make you better at cable.

Get out of the boxes guys. It is all "wake"boarding wether it is behind a boat, cable, winch, four-wheeler or whatever someone cooks up next. The sooner you stop differentiating, the better off your riding will be.

Daniel Grant embodies the future of this sport. It is not a big deal for him to hop from cable to boat or even strapped to skate. I am excited to see what he does over his long future in the sport. I am definately a fan of his riding no mater where or what he is shredding.
Old    BenjTrogdon            07-06-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
Cisco,
Are you kidding? I was joking when I asked what "cable boarding" was... Im pretty sure that I see many people riding the same types of boards on the cable than behind the board. Just because they have flex doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the cable, it has to do with the rails. NOT CABLE. Same goes for having fins. You take them off to hit rails.... And yeah, I have a board that has extra flex, a grindbase, and is completely flat on the bottom. Am I cableboarding with it? Nope

Tom Fooshee & NIck Davies, are probably the most well known cable-specific riders, at least here in the US (they both kill it behind the boat by the way, riding their same boards as on the cable)
Both of those guys ride boards with no extra flex. They are probably the best example that I could think of. Im pretty sure the majority of cable riders ride a traditional shaped wakeboard with no extra flex. And what about all of the guys who ride a board with flex behind the boat? Are they cableboarding? nope

Im trying hard to try to understand you, but you just sound completely ignorant to be honest. When you tried to explain to me what "cable boarding" was, you forgot to mention that you ride behind a cable... Wakeboarding is wakeboarding, its all the same board sport
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-08-2011, 2:49 PM Reply   
its his decision. Cisco who are you to decide????
Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-09-2011, 4:11 PM Reply   
Man.....my jaw tightened and my teeth grinded together as i was reading all of ciscos posts..........what a douche / troll. I ride cable, tend to pop more of the water and prefer a fast stiff board (as most cable riders who do water tricks do). Flexy boards are pretty fun on the rails.

daniel grant can beat down nearly anybody on the cable at both wake & skate and i reackon thats pretty damn cool. I reckon he should take up three event aswell and become even more diverse.