Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-23-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
The pics tell most of it, but this is one of our latest builds. Its an '85 Sunsport with a DIY 1/2 wrap by ReBoat Wraps, Custom tower, Wetsounds Double-Up speakers, new interior, new cover & a ton of elbow grease. It definitely gets alot of attention. Big thanks to Tim @ Wetsounds & Dave @ Bohemian Canvas.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

This is last weekends casualty. A little hard to see in the pic but long story short: I must have hit a submerged log that wedged itself between my rudder and prop and sheared my drive shaft like it was a noodle. I thought there was a shear pin somewhere in there?
Upload

This is how you pack two kayaks, 3 sets of golfclubs, 3 wakeboards and a kitchen sink in a 20' boat ;)
Upload
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-23-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
WTF ! ! ! I've seen some crazy $h|t in my time but Damn ! ! ! Extreme Behind The Boat Kayaking ?!?!?! Crazy Crazy I love the wrap Sick boat SAWEEEEEET ! ! !
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-23-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
Wow where to start love the 1/2 wrap you applied it yourself? I would be happy to have their website on my boat for a nice price. :-)

Any more pics of the new interior? I love the little jump seat on the engine cover that is awesome!

Love the Wetsounds do they have quick-disconnects? You take them down for storage/travel?

Sorry to hear about the propshaft.

Love it Love it Love it!

My 87 SS is in my profile pic.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-23-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
Great looking Sunsport. I like the wrap.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
Nicely done. Way to take an old boat & really bring it up to date. They need to put that boat on their site..... it really shows how to update an older boat in a big way.

The mirror/video display listed on their site is pretty sweet too.

Upload
Old     (mjpwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-25-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
hey man... check out discount inboard out of columbia s.c. they have the best deals on the web and i just ordered a brand new driveshaft and coupler from them for my 87 sunsport and wow what a great product... my boat used to have a little vibration out of the hole... new driveshaft installed and she runs smooth as silk. check um out... and type in ccfan on the checkout to save an extra 10%. hope this helps... give us some more interior pics if you dont mind... im with mikey... id like to see the back and the jump seat.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-25-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
You could give these guys a call as well.... They are the OEM for the drive shafts and couplers on pretty much every boat made. Luckily they are right down the street from me. I've had them fix or replace drive shafts, struts, rudders, couplers, etc.... Pretty decent guys to deal with and they'll get you upgraded to equipment a little more modern than what was originally on that boat.

http://www.marineassociates.com/
Old     (delmage171)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-25-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
Hey matt, your boat looks awesome! How do you like the double up set-up? Im planning on getting that. What amp are you running?
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-25-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for the props guys.

I have always been a big fan on Discount Inboard, great service and tons of knowledge there. They have taken a good amount of my money for this project already.

I will try and get more interior pics soon. The jump seat is pretty cool. Of course it still gets old trippin over ballast bags all day. But for a boat that cost $35,000 less than my last wake boat I don't mind ;)

As for the Double-Ups they RULE. We have run most every brand of tower speaker out there & nothing compares to Wetsounds. You will not be dissapointed. I am running one amp for each set of speakers. Rockford Fosgate amp in the 400 watt range. We also installed the new WS-420 from Wetsounds too. Can't believe I lived without one for so long.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-25-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
WHAT fat sacs??!! The SunSport has the most storage of ANY older Direct Drive I have seen!

I put 350 in rear ski locker, 300 under rear seat, 350 in front port and starboard under the open bow (but tucked back a lil bit so they're out of the way that's the reason for two sacs in front).

That is 1400 lbs all hidden and auto plumbed. Then I use a surf sac on the floor if needed for surfin (and empty front starboard sac).

Hide that shiz!
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-25-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
Nice work Mikey. You are correct there is a good amount of storage. I have hidden the sacks in the past where you mentioned but had little luck fitting correctly. You should let me know brand and model of what sacks are working for you. I would appreciate it. I've run a sack in the rear "shelf" but never felt too confident in that piece of fiberglass holding 350 lbs. And by the way where do you hide all yer other BS if all your storage is filled with ballast ;)
Old     (fecalfajita)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-26-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
This got me to thinking. What is under the glove box in this boat, and would it be worth making that easier to access for more storage?
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
Under the glove box is just an extended area of storage that you can access underneath the bow-cushions. It's pretty much wasted space because it's really hard to get to.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
On my 91 that storage area opens up on the left side of the built in cooler and you can damn near fit a dead body in there Lots of good storage in there
Old     (fecalfajita)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-26-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
I wonder if cutting a hole under the glovebox/behind the observer seat would cause any structural problems...

That'd be a perfect spot to keep all of the life jackets and other bs.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
I have my amps mounted in there and we keep towels cups and all of our snacks in there
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-26-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
Matt I got High Pro X Series Tube Sacs 10"x16"x62" - 370lbs for rear locker and rear seat, and Fly High Pro X Series V-Drive Sacs - 42"x16"x16" - 400 lbs for up in front.

The trick for me to getting storage in the bow is to use those side sacs and then take advantage of some semi hidden storage. Under the spotters seat glove box is some unused space you can access from under the bow. The starboard side I put somewhat under driver, half under open bow. Still lots of room!

I put my pump under spotters seat but if you had a jabesco pump that is ignition proof you could put it in the engine box. Spotters seat will be full anyway when I add my extra battery.

Glove box and open bow I guess. :-) I'd rather have my sacs hidden. Check my threads if you want...

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/605405.html?1217336236

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/560359.html?1209995948

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/590245.html?1216754476
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-26-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
Wait wait wait that's what I was saying!! Under the spotters seat glove box there storage of 13" high 25" wide 30" deep it will hold almost all of a v-drive sac! This is awesome! Then open bow is free.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-26-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
i have my batteries in the area behind the spotter's seat. cut an opening so they slide up there out of the way.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
my batteries go under the spotter seat
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
I've got 3 batteries under the spotters seat.... Maybe next year I'll relocate these further forward. That space under the spotters seat would make an AWESOME place to fiberglass in a cooler. This would make SOOOO much more room in my boat if the huge cooler was built in somewhere and could drain into the bilge.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-26-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
Actually Mont I meant UNDERNEITH the spotters seat glovebox.

I love my built in cooler where it is. :-) So can we post our own SS pics yet?? :-) :-)

For next year I'm going to add a battery, install one sub, one amp, Kicker tower speakers, cd deck and eq. And a power prop 13 x 10. Then we'll be good untill we decide to get a bimini and Perfect Pass lol!
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
Ahh I see lol I'm about to Jack this thread and just start posting SunSport pics all over it :-) Maybe I'll just do this instead
Upload Word! ! ! lol
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
I'm really thinking about taking the boat out this weekend so I can wakeskate but the water around here is sooooo F-ing cold. Everyone else still ridin' ?
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
Damn that is killer looking, I feel like the bastard stepchild being the only one with a Marauder(closed bow sunsport) lol.

Good work!
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-27-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
Yeah we are still riding although not since last weekend... Water is super cold but about the same as last few weeks cause we finally got a weeks worth of sunny days which helped. I usually load the boat with a few blankets, wool socks, and winter hats (Crucial) and two towels per person for fall riding. But then again I don't fall unless I want to. ;)

I guess I should feel lucky I was out ALLLL last weekend, friday afternoon, sat and sun all day. It was about 75 the whole time with just a breeze. I even got sunburnt! I also landed my first surf 360s with no rope! So fun....love the surfing the SunSport surf wave is just great. I don't think even a SN2001 could equal this surf wake...

Matt lets see some more pics! Action shots?
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-29-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
WakeMikey -- You're in MN, too.... right? We were out all weekend.... water isn't too bad yet. I was up on Big Sandy lake two weekends ago and the water as 57F. That was REALLLLLY cold!
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-29-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
im still riding here in St Cloud, on Pleasant lake, the water is pretty cold, but its not painfully cold yet. we have plenty of towels, wind breakers etc though. Ill sacrifice warm water for an empty lake and slow wind.
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-29-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
Nice work on still riding in the land of 10,00 lakes! I miss MN, sometimes.

Anyone ever try to pull a prop off a busted shaft? I would like to avoid having to buy a puller. Last time I just took my torch to the prop and a couple good whacks with a dead blow & she popped right off. That won't be working this time. Tips?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
I use a standard gear puller, works great! Just put the shaft in a vice put the gear puller on and off comes the prop! If not my local shop lets you rent the prop puller.

Duffy
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-29-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
Heat it up with an acetylene torch. It'll pop right off without even need to whack it. I didn't believe it until I saw my prop guy do it.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-30-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
if you're buying parts from your prop shop, i bet they'd do it for ya. mine knocked out my cutlass bearing for me, no charge since i was buying a new one.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-30-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
matt if you dont mind me asking, what did that wrap run you?
Old     (fecalfajita)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-30-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
So I've got a buddy who's an amazing tattoo artist and I'd love to have some of his work on my boat...Is there any reason I shouldn't buy some high grade vinyl and put it on my sunsport? I just called a shop that sells the vinyl and it was $106 for 10'x48"

I love the boat btw Matt.
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-30-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
Retail on a 1/2 wrap like that would be in the $800 range. Including all the misc. logos & such. Install is fairly simple if you take your time.