Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                07-01-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
OK, so I did drop a few of my links in some recent posts, but what I really want to know is what types of housings the pro photographers and videographers are using in the water. There are obviously many tlented photographers and videographers on this message board, I appreciate your input very much.
I make housings for surfing, but think that obviously they would work well for wakeboarding as well. Are people using housings other than Dive housings(HEAVY!), plastic bags(leaky), or the new epic housings(non functional)?
I am interested in gaining information about how housings are typically used in wakeboarding, so I can make any necessary adjustments to my product, to make them more suited for use with wakeboarding.
What angles are people shooting from, what lenses are they using, and also what grips make the most sense?
Also, does anyone shoot film anymore?
pro's shooting 1D's and Mark II's?
here's another link to the web-site (sorry the thumbnails aren't yet active for the housing pics)
http://www.chacconne.com/DM_Info.html
sure there are some solicitory undertones to this e-mail, as I think there exists a market for my products, but I appreciate this information very much.
Thanks in advance,
Erik
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-01-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
Hi Erik.

I'm currently using the Sony SPK-PC4 for a water housing. Here are a couple of reason why I like it.

1) You can turn the camera on and off
2) You can use the zoom (though rarely used)
3) You use the LCD
4) It's light

The only fault I see with it is that I cannot add a wide angle lens. There just isn't enough room in the housing....

Here is a list of other housings I came across while doing my research: http://www.dpcfilms.com/howto/UnderwaterHousings/index.asp
I like the pistol-style grips (Dive Equinox) on the side of the housing, especially for a larger housing.
I like the versatility of the Epic Cam to fit different size cameras and accommodate a wide angle.
I like the controls on the Sony SPK-PC4, Sony SPK-DVF5, and the Panasonic Housings.

Any plans on building a housing for the Panasonic DVX-100a with the Century Optics Death Lens?

Old                07-01-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
Kung Fu,
Thanks for the input on the housings, it's a good start.
Is that Panasonic the 24p, or its predecesor?
I have made a housing for the 24p...
-Erik
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-01-2004, 5:44 PM Reply   
Yes, the 100A is the latest version of the Panasonic 24p.

It's hard to tell from the pictures on the web site because they are so small, but what kind of controls do you offer on your housings?

Old                07-01-2004, 5:50 PM Reply   
Kung-Fu,
the website does need some help, better pics and info will be coming.
All the housings are custom made, and can feature whatever controls that you desire, however after shooting from the water(surfing) for ten years, my personal preference is simple is best. For Video work I like to have on/off, start/stop record, and a Zoom function. This is really all you are ever going to need in my opinion.(but if you think you would like any other controls, I am more than happy to put them on).
As far as handles go, whatever you think would work best, I can create. Typically I put threaded inserts into the underside of the housing, so you can attach whatever handle best suits your preference, or situation. Side grips would work well for the innertube I would imagine, and probably pretty well for shooting the rails as well. For surfing I like to use an extended pistol grip which you can fit both hands on, while this may work very well for the rails, I don't see it being all too practical for the innertube. Having the handle be removable makes it convenient for travel as well.
Erik
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-27-2004, 11:41 AM Reply   

Some people are still shooting film like Album & sidewayz. I would like to but film is too much $ for me right now. But if there was sumten lite weight that u could control and that floated. that would be good. at the moment i use a bag and i cant see out the viewfinder and i had to make a strap that latchs to my life vest, cuz im out there 5 feet in front of people on a tube.
Old                10-27-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
Erik, Why do you say that the epic housings are unfunctional? I have been considering one and would like everyones input.
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-27-2004, 9:02 PM Reply   
I have a epic housing for my pd-170 and my pd-150 and it works great. I cant find anything wrong with it. You just have to film with enough, everytime you do it yuo get a little better with each time, like the angle and keeping water off the lense
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-27-2004, 9:59 PM Reply   
Erik,

I'm a still photographer. I shoot almost exclusively with the Nikon D2h right now. I have a custom acrylic housing that I use for that camera, as well as one for a Nikon F5, which I don't use much anymore.

Here's what would interest me in a housing:
- Reasonable price (less than the $3,500+ for AquaTech housings)
- Easy open (4-6 snaps/latches, not 20 hex bolts)
- Easy change lens ports
- Controls for shutter, aperture, focus, zoom, autofocus activate, focus area select, image review button, shutter release
- Ability to hold housing with two hands, or add on either a pistol or pole release
- Ability to use with or without a flash, with full TTL
- Capability for mounting radio slave (PocketWizard) in housing, either for remote triggering of camera (think board mount) or firing of remote slaves
- Lightweight
- Custom options
- Fast turnaround from order to delivery (under 2 weeks)

My current housings are functional, but still leave some to be desired. I've looked into MANY different surf housing manufacturers (AquaTech, Dale Kobitech, SPL Waterhousings, Sea Research, and others) and haven't found any that meet all of my criteria, including price and turnaround time.

I would be interested in seeing what you have to offer for still photographers, and more specifically Nikon shooters, as many surf housing makers focus on Canon.

Here's an example of a recent shot with my setup:

Tube shot with D2h and 12-24mm lens

More of my shots can be seen at:

http://www.islerphoto.com
http://www.sportsshooter.com/isler

Thanks!

Mike Isler
www.islerphoto.com
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-31-2004, 1:52 AM Reply   
Eric,
I also currently use an epic housing. The only function you really need for video is the start and stop record button when shooting with a housing. The epic housing is great and priced right, especially for the weekend warrior. The only problem with the epic housing is not being able to see thru the veiw finder on "some models of cameras". But anyone that wants to to take the time and spend the money to shoot from a tube should invest in a wideangle lens. Then all you have to do is point the lens in the basic direction.( I know it is a little more than that but you get the idea.) The nice thing about epic is that you don't pay extra for a custon lens port or interchangable lens ports for your custom $1500 housing. Your wide angle or telephoto lens will fit just fine.