Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2017, 10:02 AM Reply   
I was out in my Aunt's pontoon boat last weekend and it was hot as ****. For most of us we just jump in to cool off or whatever but my Aunt is in a wheelchair so her cool-off methods are limited.

I got to thinking it would probably be fairly easy to DIY a water mist system in their bimini to help keep the back half of the boat shaded and cool, but the front is still open to the sun.

My thoughts:

* Hose + filter to lake to pull water (or use a hidden 5-gallon pale or something as a reservoir) for supply water

* Wire a RV Water pump to move the water and hold a fair amount of pressure in the line(s) to get a good mist rather than a dribble - Example of Pump

* Pump supplies water to a "patio mist" kit from amazon. I figured 4-8 mist heads under the bimini section of the boat. Perhaps pipe more to the bow with some isolation valves. Example of a mist kit - https://www.amazon.com/MistyMate-160.../dp/B001ET335A

.... anyone have input on if this would work? any reason 45 psi wouldn't be enough pressure to get a mist vs. a dribble.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-07-2017, 10:04 AM Reply   
45psi should be fine. 60psi would be better.
Old     (Stokes760)      Join Date: May 2017       06-07-2017, 11:09 AM Reply   
the higher the psi the finer the mist. the finer the mist the quicker it evaporates providing the most cooling effect and leaving the least amount of water on the deck.
http://www.sprayerdepot.com/Shop-by-...mps/8030813239
Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       06-07-2017, 11:38 AM Reply   
Keep in mind that the higher the output and the higher the pressure, the higher the amp draw will be. High amp draw equals short battery life. Depending on how long she floats, it may be worth having a second battery installed and isolated. Most toons have outboard motors and I don't believe they have a high amp alternator like our tow boats have.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-08-2017, 8:08 AM Reply   
Home depot has a really nice cordless misting fan that fits on a five gallon bucket . It uses a Ryobi type battery which it comes with but you can get a much better Ryobi battery for even longer run time . I have the older version which is more a conventional mister with a hose and nozzles that sits on a bucket and uses a Ryobi battery . We use it camping at it works well . Ive always used lake water its doesn't seem to mind a bit . Name:  bucket fan mister home depot.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  bucket mister ebay.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  46.7 KB

BTW the conventional one is only available on Ebay I think .
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-08-2017, 1:22 PM Reply   
Having had some of those misters, I tried exactly what you are proposing on the boat.

It is possible, but those misters are looking for close to 70psi which is what residential service pressure is otherwise the misters will not work and just drip. Very few 12v pumps can put out that pressure without being huge or costing quite a few bucks. I ultimately abandoned the idea.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-09-2017, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Having had some of those misters, I tried exactly what you are proposing on the boat.

It is possible, but those misters are looking for close to 70psi which is what residential service pressure is otherwise the misters will not work and just drip. Very few 12v pumps can put out that pressure without being huge or costing quite a few bucks. I ultimately abandoned the idea.
Thats why I went with the one I posted above . They work as good as my patio mister that runs off the house other then dealing with batteries its perfect .