Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-08-2016, 5:59 PM Reply   
http://www.grindtv.com/random/depart...ICZS7ITaR1g.97
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-08-2016, 9:58 PM Reply   
They should outlaw those damn Azipods. Everybody, go get your torches and let's kill those cruise ships!
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-09-2016, 5:08 AM Reply   
almost as bad as the surf boats everyone is running around on ..lol
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-09-2016, 6:47 AM Reply   
wow... that is some power....
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-09-2016, 6:51 AM Reply   
Wow. Those were concrete docks it moved.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-09-2016, 8:16 AM Reply   
I'm betting the damage is far greater than the $280,000 they quoted too.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-09-2016, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
almost as bad as the surf boats everyone is running around on ..lol
I was gonna say the same thing. Funny how wakesurfers are the New punching bag in the wake Comunity. I would say personality I hate wake surfers MORE then tubers. And More then Jet Ski'rs

For me personally I hate when your parked in a 5mph zone and the goons wakesurf past. The wave is very annoying and can cause damage. Way more then Wakeboarding.and way more then Jet Ski'rs and tubers their wake has almost no effect.

Now I know how fishermen fishing close to shore must hate us all.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-09-2016, 8:58 AM Reply   
It's pretty amazing the thrust has that much force through the water to move those docks. Especially if they are concrete.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       09-09-2016, 9:04 AM Reply   
^ looks like prop wash thrust to me too. no wave involved.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       09-09-2016, 9:04 AM Reply   
Grant you sound like an a-hole skier that hated us all about 10 years ago. Now you're the old fart screaming at surfers. Funny!

Get off my lawn you damn hippy!!

all we need is Red to chime in and this thread is complete
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-09-2016, 9:21 AM Reply   
Probably was using the Acme 2419 torque prop
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-09-2016, 9:49 AM Reply   
Nacho: I guess you don't get it. I don't mind you doing WHATEVER you like in the right location (Tube, Ski, wakesurf, Ect) What you might have missed in my post is the part about "Wakesurfing threw a 5 Mph zone" ya know where boats are tied to each other and close to shore. People go their for a reason. To get away from Idiots not be effected by them. I don't know if most people with weighted wakesurf boats have any idea of the ripple effect or the rollers that come threw after they are gone. I'm sure most of the people that do this would be pissed off if you did to them what they are doing to you. It's not about being a grumpy old man, it's about self awareness & common courtesy.

Nacho One last point. You can be tied up in a 5 mph zone and if a Ski boat comes by pulling a Ski'r at 36 mph 50 feet from your boat the effect is almost nothing. The same can be said for Tubers and Jet Ski'rs. And this bugs me NOT. But See what happens to other boats when you wakesurf past boats tied up at 11mph from 100-200 feet away. That's BS my friend and if you don't get that then you my friend are part of the problem
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-09-2016, 10:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Probably was using the Acme 2419 torque prop
lol
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-09-2016, 10:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Nacho: I guess you don't get it. I don't mind you doing WHATEVER you like in the right location (Tube, Ski, wakesurf, Ect) What you might have missed in my post is the part about "Wakesurfing threw a 5 Mph zone" ya know where boats are tied to each other and close to shore. People go their for a reason. To get away from Idiots not be effected by them. I don't know if most people with weighted wakesurf boats have any idea of the ripple effect or the rollers that come threw after they are gone. I'm sure most of the people that do this would be pissed off if you did to them what they are doing to you. It's not about being a grumpy old man, it's about self awareness & common courtesy.

Nacho One last point. You can be tied up in a 5 mph zone and if a Ski boat comes by pulling a Ski'r at 36 mph 50 feet from your boat the effect is almost nothing. The same can be said for Tubers and Jet Ski'rs. And this bugs me NOT. But See what happens to other boats when you wakesurf past boats tied up at 11mph from 100-200 feet away. That's BS my friend and if you don't get that then you my friend are part of the problem
It really makes no difference what any of us say we like or dislike. People are gonna do what they want to do. It's a waste of time to fret about what anyone else is doing unless it puts you or your loved ones in immediate danger. Everyone is still responsible for any damage their wake does. I get peeved at other's on the water all the time, but at the end of the day, I gotta remember that I don't own the river/lake. If it bothers me that much, I know I can just join a private lake.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-09-2016, 10:43 AM Reply   
Lake of the Ozarks is having wake issues. People buy huge yachts and put them on the lake, and they tear up docks. Only problem is its impossible to prove who did it in court. There is now talk about legislation. I never understood putting a 68 ft yacht on a lake. If you can afford that size of a boat, you can afford a plane ticket to Florida to run it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-09-2016, 11:08 AM Reply   
Markj; I disagree. I think the No power turners "movement" was pretty effective. If people get the word out change can take place. But for the most part I agree with your post. Most people are gonna do what they wanna do regardless of what others think. But even if you can get the word out and it changes a few it's worth it IMO
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       09-09-2016, 11:25 AM Reply   
Holy chit bro! it was a joke. Glad to know I have your blessing to use my boat as I see fit tho.

Again, it was a joke. No friend, I do NOT cruise through ANY zone with a surfer off the transom. Had some asshat drive a slow circle around me the other day with a boarder behind them. Idiots are out there everywhere, I don't care where you are or what zone you're in.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-09-2016, 11:44 AM Reply   
Sorry nacho I didn't pick up your scarzim. Party on
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-09-2016, 11:56 AM Reply   
Regardless most of your average boaters are not hardcore boat nerds like most of us on this site or the brand specific (MC Talk, Malibu Crew, etc) forums to get educated. They are out there to do what "they" want. Whether it's surfers, jet skiers, or any one else doing anything unsafe/stupid. People either have no clue in the first place or just don't care because after all we now live in a world of me and me first.

I'll be the first to admit that I was the one yelling at tubers and anyone else years ago about wrecking good water. Now, if I'm up first thing in the morning and I want to go for a surf I will. Why, because after 22 years of snowboarding and wakeboarding my knees and back don't like the impact of wakeboarding all the time. Mentally I still love it but I still want to be able to walk the rest of the day after. I'm not going to wait until the wind blows up or the afternoon to go for a surf so everyone else can have the water..... If I'm up and on the lake before you that's your problem. At the same time I'm not going to be the one that passes you 40' off your bow or dock, power turning or cranking the crap out of my more than 1 pair of Rev 10's so I can hear it at 80' when I do ride.

As good as we all think we are on the water I'm sure we are pissing someone else off at the same time. What about the person in the plastic kayak that is highly against the oil industry just trying to eat some granola while spotting said rare bird in it's natural habitat while listening to Turn Down For What from miles away?
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-09-2016, 12:06 PM Reply   
You ladies got a problem with skiers?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       09-09-2016, 12:10 PM Reply   
yea. what of it? kidding.

do what you do man
Old     (padgett)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-09-2016, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Nacho: I guess you don't get it. I don't mind you doing WHATEVER you like in the right location (Tube, Ski, wakesurf, Ect) What you might have missed in my post is the part about "Wakesurfing threw a 5 Mph zone" ya know where boats are tied to each other and close to shore. People go their for a reason. To get away from Idiots not be effected by them. I don't know if most people with weighted wakesurf boats have any idea of the ripple effect or the rollers that come threw after they are gone. I'm sure most of the people that do this would be pissed off if you did to them what they are doing to you. It's not about being a grumpy old man, it's about self awareness & common courtesy.

Nacho One last point. You can be tied up in a 5 mph zone and if a Ski boat comes by pulling a Ski'r at 36 mph 50 feet from your boat the effect is almost nothing. The same can be said for Tubers and Jet Ski'rs. And this bugs me NOT. But See what happens to other boats when you wakesurf past boats tied up at 11mph from 100-200 feet away. That's BS my friend and if you don't get that then you my friend are part of the problem


Most people where I'm from have common sense to tie up in a cove off of the main lake to avoid getting hit with waves.

I don't get tired of people complaining about wake surfing. Unless you own the lake, what can you say about it? It's public property. There are 70' yachts putting off massive wake where I live. It's just part of it.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-09-2016, 1:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Probably was using the Acme 2419 torque prop
BLAHAHAHAHAHA good one !!!!!
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-09-2016, 2:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
Most people where I'm from have common sense to tie up in a cove off of the main lake to avoid getting hit with waves.

I don't get tired of people complaining about wake surfing. Unless you own the lake, what can you say about it? It's public property. There are 70' yachts putting off massive wake where I live. It's just part of it.
Your right but in places like the delta or on a river there's no where to hide sometimes . I've had a boat of my own for just about 20 years and always had a family boat as a kid . I've been in pretty rough water many many times . The only time I've ever taken one over the bow was at the delta trying to get past a surf boat and one time in a friends boat trying to navigate around a yacht on the delta.
I like the idea of surfing and I'm really interested in surfing ( I'm old now ) so I can see the appeal of it but we need some self regulation before the government steps in and imposes regulations that will ruin it for all of us. DON'T THINK IT CANT HAPPEN . I'm in California and we have regulations for everything pretty soon it will be the law to match your clothes here ..lol
Old     (padgett)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-09-2016, 2:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
Your right but in places like the delta or on a river there's no where to hide sometimes . I've had a boat of my own for just about 20 years and always had a family boat as a kid . I've been in pretty rough water many many times . The only time I've ever taken one over the bow was at the delta trying to get past a surf boat and one time in a friends boat trying to navigate around a yacht on the delta.

I like the idea of surfing and I'm really interested in surfing ( I'm old now ) so I can see the appeal of it but we need some self regulation before the government steps in and imposes regulations that will ruin it for all of us. DON'T THINK IT CANT HAPPEN . I'm in California and we have regulations for everything pretty soon it will be the law to match your clothes here ..lol


I'm in Ky and boat on a very large lake. I doubt regulations will ever happen here. There is no speed, size, or sound regulations.
Old     (Boyce604)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-09-2016, 9:31 PM Reply   
Psudy

are you from around Lake of the Ozarks?

Yea the size of boats and how crowded the lake gets is crazy. People with big yachts that never get on Plane. They push the water more than anything.

Then you get the big 50'+ catamaran's and formulas running around at 70+ mph all day. Gets pretty rough out there.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-09-2016, 10:39 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=grant_west;1944500]Markj; I disagree. I think the No power turners "movement" was pretty effective.

Yeah you're right. It was, but that was 5 years ago and half of the people out there now surf so the message is totally lost. Now, power turns are the least of your worries. Especially if you're on Lake Tulloch and some guys in an MB come by to shoot their catalog vids and pics. right? Haha. I remember your story from awhile back.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-09-2016, 10:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
Your right but in places like the delta or on a river there's no where to hide sometimes . I've had a boat of my own for just about 20 years and always had a family boat as a kid . I've been in pretty rough water many many times . The only time I've ever taken one over the bow was at the delta trying to get past a surf boat and one time in a friends boat trying to navigate around a yacht on the delta.
I like the idea of surfing and I'm really interested in surfing ( I'm old now ) so I can see the appeal of it but we need some self regulation before the government steps in and imposes regulations that will ruin it for all of us. DON'T THINK IT CANT HAPPEN . I'm in California and we have regulations for everything pretty soon it will be the law to match your clothes here ..lol
If you're on your game, you can make it past any surf wake. Huge yachts in narrow quarters like the delta however, are an entirely different proposition. I recently had a HUGE yacht approach me in the Sacramento River and I figured out the best way to not get swamped by its 4' wake was to turn around and run with it at a slower speed and kinda "ride" it's wake-meaning let its wake pass me from behind. Didn't take on a drop. I had 14 people in the boat that day too. Not gonna lie. I was white knuckles the whole time, but I felt like a champ of a captain after that. It was like some primitive survival skills kicked in.

Last edited by markj; 09-09-2016 at 10:59 PM. Reason: W
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-10-2016, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
If you're on your game, you can make it past any surf wake. Huge yachts in narrow quarters like the delta however, are an entirely different proposition. I recently had a HUGE yacht approach me in the Sacramento River and I figured out the best way to not get swamped by its 4' wake was to turn around and run with it at a slower speed and kinda "ride" it's wake-meaning let its wake pass me from behind. Didn't take on a drop. I had 14 people in the boat that day too. Not gonna lie. I was white knuckles the whole time, but I felt like a champ of a captain after that. It was like some primitive survival skills kicked in.
Man I've been in that situation too many times . Its pretty sketchy sometimes but I usually fare well . I really dont know what the heck I did wrong the day It took it over the bow I have successfully navigated my way around the surfers and yachts lots of times . I must have done a crap job of judging the size of the wake . It was one of those big huge new surf boats he must have had all the ballasts full plus 10-12 people in the boat the wave was a huge one . I must have been hypnotized by the size of the wake or the cute blond that was surfing lol
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-10-2016, 6:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
I'm in Ky and boat on a very large lake. I doubt regulations will ever happen here. There is no speed, size, or sound regulations.
KY and CA are completely different there is a regulation on EVERYTHING out here . Pretty soon we will have to pass a background check to buy toilet paper . lol
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-10-2016, 9:25 AM Reply   
Love how you guys call it "surfing"! Surfing is in the ocean and requires a **** ton of skill and strength. Surfers are beast. You guys getting dragged around at 9mph behind a boat on a floaty are twats. There's a big difference between a beast and a ****. Get em Gertrude!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-10-2016, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Love how you guys call it "surfing"! Surfing is in the ocean and requires a **** ton of skill and strength. Surfers are beast. You guys getting dragged around at 9mph behind a boat on a floaty are twats. There's a big difference between a beast and a ****. Get em Gertrude!
Okay $hit starter. Then don't EVER call it skating when you get on your wake wannabe skate. Real skaters have trucks underneath their boards and ride on land where YOU should always be. That way I won't ever posibly have to see your ugly mug while I'm on the water "not surfing." Take that!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-10-2016, 5:25 PM Reply   
I'm bout that life too tho. They are actually relative to each other.
Attached Images
 
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-10-2016, 6:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
I'm bout that life too tho. They are actually relative to each other.
It's all board sports so who cares??? Oh... Your little brother called. He wants his skateboard back.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2016, 7:40 PM Reply   
Omg Great post love it
Quote:
Red (Redheadd) Join Date: Apr 2014 Today, 9:25 AM Reply
Love how you guys call it "surfing"! Surfing is in the ocean and requires a **** ton of skill and strength. Surfers are beast. You guys getting dragged around at 9mph behind a boat on a floaty are twats. There's a big difference between a beast and a ****. Get em Gertrude!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2016, 7:44 PM Reply   
I like that you just offended about 99% of the wake world Comunity the 1% that are not offended and laughing thoes are my peeps!!!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2016, 7:53 PM Reply   
I think you just called everyone that bought a 100k surf boat a Dousche. They are pissed at you Red Head!. My 2c I think you hit the nail right on the Red Head. LOL wake Surfers are the new Tubers of the lake and they hate it LOL LOL.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-11-2016, 5:31 AM Reply   
Sorry. I have to agree with Red. I am "not a big fan" of people that buy a boat primarily to wake surf. When I can't wakeboard anymore I will just get off the lake.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-11-2016, 6:56 AM Reply   
It sounds to me the only legit way to clean up our lakes is to snipe wake surf boats from afar so they sink. Am I rite?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-11-2016, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
Sorry. I have to agree with Red. I am "not a big fan" of people that buy a boat primarily to wake surf. When I can't wakeboard anymore I will just get off the lake.
Sorry. No one cares. Especially those people that bought their boat for wake surfing. Thanks for committing to getting off the lake though. One less Wally to deal with... I kid

Seriously though, people! Some of you sound like an old "get off my lawn" geezer. Sheesh!

I'm thinking of lurking on a fishing forum or a canoeing forum. I'm sure they hate everyone.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-11-2016, 4:21 PM Reply   
I just saw some new footage of this from the boat taken by a passenger. Seemed pretty windy and that captain was in a tight spot. Probably needed a couple tugs to get out of there safely
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-11-2016, 4:38 PM Reply   
Yeah, thank goodness he did not wait to get out of there safely. Cause all those cruisers would be late for the buffet lunch on board.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-12-2016, 6:55 AM Reply   
You dudes are hilarious !!!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-12-2016, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyce604 View Post
Psudy

are you from around Lake of the Ozarks?

Yea the size of boats and how crowded the lake gets is crazy. People with big yachts that never get on Plane. They push the water more than anything.

Then you get the big 50'+ catamaran's and formulas running around at 70+ mph all day. Gets pretty rough out there.
Use too, but go to Table Rock for just that reason. I still keep up with it on a different forum though.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       09-12-2016, 8:31 AM Reply   
yakkers.com here I come
Old     (Boyce604)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-12-2016, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
Use too, but go to Table Rock for just that reason. I still keep up with it on a different forum though.
Yea I go to pomme usually. Once I get a boat that's mainly where I will go. Usually really calm and smooth.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-12-2016, 11:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
I just saw some new footage of this from the boat taken by a passenger. Seemed pretty windy and that captain was in a tight spot. Probably needed a couple tugs to get out of there safely
Yeah, I just searched for that and found it. That video shot by the passenger shows a totally different perspective. It looks like the captain was using some side thrusters... The wind definitely had a big impact on that ship. Almost like a G...
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-12-2016, 12:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I like that you just offended about 99% of the wake world Comunity the 1% that are not offended and laughing thoes are my peeps!!!
Naw, I doubt most people on here, even if they're exclusively wakesurfers, are that offended. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Red likes to troll wakesurfers. He's all bark and no bite (i.e. strong opinions with no logical substance behind them.) . He's also a troll about wakeboarding,G, (it doesn't have a corresponding sport, it's too easy, ) so I doubt he's one of your peeps.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       09-13-2016, 3:51 PM Reply   
Back to taking big waves, why not put the boat parallel to the wave? Works for the 4' roller my boat throws!!
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       09-14-2016, 7:12 AM Reply   
WOW.. that is a pretty crazy video. That is way more than $280.000 damage.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-17-2016, 6:43 AM Reply   
This site should change its name to Wake Whiners World!
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-17-2016, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Beyond the financial damage, someone could have been hurt or killed by that.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-17-2016, 8:16 AM Reply   
^^^very true.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-22-2016, 6:51 PM Reply   
That was unreal!

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us