Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2016, 7:17 AM Reply   
Looks pretty darn good!

I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I think they did a great job with it. Looks great, minimum range is 200+, base 0-60 is 5.xx sec (I'm sure dual motor will be much faster).... I just hope the tax credit holds up til my number is called.

Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-01-2016, 9:25 AM Reply   
Elon Musk---- Model 3 orders at 180,000 in 24 hours. Selling price w/avg options $42K, so - $7.5B in a day.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-01-2016, 9:29 AM Reply   
Crazy they got that number of reservations for a $40K commuter.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 10:08 AM Reply   
I think this car is what was needed to get America really interested in electric cars. I know that some are on the fence of the real carbon footprint with using electricity from coal fired electric plants though. My dream would be to get solar panels, a Tesla power wall setup and then one of these cars. I really like it and love tech stuff like this.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 10:48 AM Reply   
Now at 198,000 pre orders...and counting! They claim they will be able to produce 500,000 cars per year at full capacity.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 10:54 AM Reply   
Now we have to figure out how to tax electric cars for their road use since that is currently in the price of gas/diesel. I'm guessing that it will cost us more tax dollars to figure out how to tax them than it will generate in the first year.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-01-2016, 11:13 AM Reply   
well, they burn coal.... so that should be easy. Based off the kilowatt hour, the whole country will see a hike increase.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-01-2016, 11:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Now we have to figure out how to tax electric cars for their road use since that is currently in the price of gas/diesel. I'm guessing that it will cost us more tax dollars to figure out how to tax them than it will generate in the first year.
Then they can use the money somewhere else.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-01-2016, 11:15 AM Reply   
The line to get on the waiting list here in Bellevue, WA. was unbelievably long. Which makes sense... since the last estimate I heard was $24,500,000 worth of Model 3 orders in Bellevue alone.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-01-2016, 11:25 AM Reply   
If they sell here this will be my next car
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2016, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Now at 198,000 pre orders...and counting!
Crazy.

My wife's lease is up in Dec of 2017, I'm scared that Wisconsin won't be seeing the 3 until 6+ after the initial deliveries begin .... not sure what we'll do to bridge that +6 month gap if thats the case. Fingers crossed people drop off when it gets closer.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 04-01-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
well, they burn coal.... so that should be easy. Based off the kilowatt hour, the whole country will see a hike increase.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2016, 12:06 PM Reply   
I love what Tesla is doing. I love how a realitivaty new comer in the auto industry is schooling Detroit and even Eroupe.
IMO Tesla is giving people what they want. Detroit is giving people what Detroit Wants. And the free market is speaking loudly with their dollar.

I love how tesla markets their cars. Here are pics of the Modle S in a showroom in the Stanfor Mall.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 12:48 PM Reply   
Detroit hates Tesla from everything I have read too. I just hope that they can build a reliable car on that large of a scale. Small production is a lot easier to put out a quality, reliable product.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-01-2016, 1:56 PM Reply   
Tesla's are like honda civics here in the bay area peninsula. Im sure a majority of that initial order is staying right here.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2016, 2:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Tesla's are like honda civics here in the bay area peninsula. Im sure a majority of that initial order is staying right here.
Yeah they are! I hadn't been to the bay area for a few years and was out there 2 weeks ago and I think I saw at least 30 Model S's in my 2 days that I was there. Saw colors that I didn't even know existed too.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2016, 3:10 PM Reply   
This is a P85-D Modle
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2016, 3:11 PM Reply   
Here is the front motor
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-01-2016, 3:15 PM Reply   
I agree Teslas are all over the place here. The SUVs are starting to show up all over the place
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-01-2016, 3:17 PM Reply   
Elon Musk is my personal hero. We are so lucky EBAY gave him $180 million to spread into SPACEX, TESLA and SOLARCITY.

Capitalism and ambition working very well!

Now, someone needs to get to work on Thorium Reactors -- a much much better nuclear power than uranium. Much shorter half lives and no meltdowns.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-01-2016, 4:42 PM Reply   
Oahu is lousy with Model S's also.

Might have to see about a dual motor 3 when our lease is up. Hope they've improved the handling - that was the only thing I really didn't care for on the S.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-03-2016, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Now at 198,000 pre orders...and counting! They claim they will be able to produce 500,000 cars per year at full capacity.

Correction...Musk said that the Fremont plant WAS pumping out 500K cars when it was operational under Ford and Toyota at full capacity...not that THEY could pump out 500K cars. He has already said that they are having to rethink the production schedule based on the number of pre-order deposits.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-03-2016, 6:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
IMO Tesla is giving people what they want. Detroit is giving people what Detroit Wants. And the free market is speaking loudly with their dollar.
IMO If this is what the people want, there would not have to be a tax credit to get people to buy them.

Just one more government program flushing money away.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2016, 7:46 AM Reply   
300,000 Preorders in the first weekend - Almost $15 Billion in Sales in one weekend - What the heck is going on?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-04-2016, 10:07 AM Reply   
(Wake wheeler) IMO the govement providing welfare is flushing down the drain. This is Just my 2c.
When the government re-distributes wealth to people who don't want to work that's "Flushing Money down the drain"

If the government provides a "tax incentive" for People to buy a American made product such as a all electric car that puts Americans to work, and those Americans pay tax $'s that Go back into the system my guess is that money that the government "flushed down the toilet" as you said it is replenished many times over.

And as a side note it lessens our dependency on forgin oil. Again this is just my 2c but the fully electric car is just the first step. A Electric car being charged by a Coal burning power plant, No Bueno. A All electric car being recharged by a Solor system. "Pure Genius"
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2016, 10:44 AM Reply   
^ Everything G said.
I don't the the tax credit has a huge bearing on how many people have pre-ordered... I'm assuming I won't the credit get based on my location and their delivery schedule, doesn't really matter to me; if I do get it, icing on the cake.

I bought my Volt a few years ago hoping to to give the EV thing a try, if it seemed likeable wait for the Model 3 or when a used Model S was more reasonably priced. We also timed my wife's lease to end in Dec of 2017 with the Model 3 release. I really like the Volt and am actually hoping on keeping it and having my wife drive the Model 3... other option would be sell the Volt, I go model 3 and she goes with the car she wants (new body style Lexus RX).
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2016, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Correction...Musk said that the Fremont plant WAS pumping out 500K cars when it was operational under Ford and Toyota at full capacity...not that THEY could pump out 500K cars. He has already said that they are having to rethink the production schedule based on the number of pre-order deposits.
My bad! Thanks for finding the real info.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-04-2016, 1:26 PM Reply   
i just counted 4 of the Tesla SUV's in my work parking garage. CLEAANNNNN
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-04-2016, 2:19 PM Reply   
I reserved one for the hell of it lol
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-04-2016, 2:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
300,000 Preorders in the first weekend - Almost $15 Billion in Sales in one weekend - What the heck is going on?
Not SALES. RESERVATIONS. It only takes $1000 to mark your spot in line, and the deposit is refundable. We'll see how many people actually pony up when it comes time to cut the check for the delivery.
So they have taken in $300mil in reservation deposits
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2016, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Not SALES. RESERVATIONS.
My gut says 40-60% of these people drop out when its time to build their car and enter into a purchase agreement. Personally if when its time for me to pick my options, colors, etc, if I haven't had a chance to sit in one/test drive one at a dealership, I doubt I would go through with my order.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-05-2016, 8:34 AM Reply   
And the company is still losing almost 7 dollars per share. Will Tesla become profitable this year? Depends on how they handle production I suppose. The cars may not be overpriced but the company stock sure is. I wonder when it will be time to sell short.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-05-2016, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
And the company is still losing almost 7 dollars per share. Will Tesla become profitable this year? Depends on how they handle production I suppose. The cars may not be overpriced but the company stock sure is. I wonder when it will be time to sell short.
I called it on sunday, I knew there was going to a 5-6% jump, followed by a sellout.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       04-05-2016, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
$7 per share on $246 stock isn't bad for new company. stock price up 50% per year for the last 5 years. Sales keep up like this and that price will be justifiable.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-05-2016, 12:45 PM Reply   
Great if you bought it 5 years ago.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2016, 1:05 PM Reply   
Side note / other EV news, if you're in CA you can get a Ford Focus EV lease for free.... yes free.

Single people earning $35,650 or less annually, or households of four earning $72,900 or less, are eligible for enhanced rebates: $3,000 for plug-in hybrids or $4,000 for battery electric vehicles.

2015 Focus EV MSRP of $29,995 should be able to negotiate down to $27,200 before incentives. As for incentives, there's $9,750 in Red Carpet Lease (RCL) Customer Cash and $3,000 Bonus Customer Cash, available to all California lessees.... also $500 for recent grads, military, or first responders.

$27,200 - $13250 in incentives + $695 for an acquisition fee = Net Cap Cost @ $14,595
Ford puts the residual value for a 36 mo., 10k mile a year lease at 40%.... 40% of MSRP = $11,998
Money Factor = .24% APR
Monthly payment works out to $81 incl tax. Dealer fees + tax on incentives + doc fees + first month payment = ~$1500 drive off
Total lease cost - drive off + payments = $4,055 .... but if you qualify for the rebate it covers all but $55 in the costs.... 3 years of a car for $55.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-05-2016, 1:55 PM Reply   
here is a interesting way of looking at things, I have heard Elon explain it this way.
Let's say you match up a Tesla against another Like a 7 Series BMW.

Let's say the say both cars cost 100k Let's say the monthly payment is $1500

well that BMW cost more then $1500 each month because you have to pay to fuel it and for oil changes,ect That cost get's added into the payment or Cost to run the car.

His argument was that when you buy a Tesla your getting more for your $ because fuel cost is nothing.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2016, 2:08 PM Reply   
^ Also maintenance is minimal.... no fluids to change, no belts, water pumps, cooling, spark plugs or wires, etc etc.

You have tires, brakes, and suspension to worry about ... and the brakes should last a LONG time with the regen braking on the car
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-05-2016, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
here is a interesting way of looking at things, I have heard Elon explain it this way.
Let's say you match up a Tesla against another Like a 7 Series BMW.

Let's say the say both cars cost 100k Let's say the monthly payment is $1500

well that BMW cost more then $1500 each month because you have to pay to fuel it and for oil changes,ect That cost get's added into the payment or Cost to run the car.

His argument was that when you buy a Tesla your getting more for your $ because fuel cost is nothing.
Not to mention that 7 series is worthless in 5 years. That model S (I'm assuming, that is the tesla you're comparing to the 7 series) will hold its value substantially better.

However, to play devils advocatw these cars have not been around long enough imo to test the endurance of the batteries. So, there could end up being a large cost of maintenance/replacement of the batteries and charging system.

I could give a damn about fuel mileage, I drive a 600+whp diesel lifted with 37s everyday. I figured for 35k what the hell it's not a bad looking car, and surely someone would pay the convenience of not having to wait in line when mine is delivered 😂
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-07-2016, 6:26 AM Reply   
I wonder what happens if/when Tesla goes belly up before they can deliver any of these orders? I would bet giving back the $1k per order will not be a priority when they are trying to save the company. I don't think a company that size can lose a billion dollars per year (like they did last year) for to many years and realistically, given their track record, we are at least two years away from the first delivery of a model 3.

Don't get me wrong, I love Elon Musk. I think he is exactly the kind of person this country needs more of. However, he may have bitten off more than he can chew.

Oh, and that "SUV" is ugly as hell.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-07-2016, 6:59 AM Reply   
And don't forget when that 7 series comes out of warranty and the f&*(ing thing falls apart and costs you thousands a month to keep it on the damn road!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-07-2016, 7:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
I don't think a company that size can lose a billion dollars per year (like they did last year) for to many years and realistically, given their track record, we are at least two years away from the first delivery of a model 3.
I think their "loses" are like how Amazon is never making money.... their current business model is based in re-investment into the company and not turning a profit. Giving up short term profits for long term major growth and sustainability.

Amazon's numbers for reference -
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-07-2016, 11:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
I think their "loses" are like how Amazon is never making money.... their current business model is based in re-investment into the company and not turning a profit. Giving up short term profits for long term major growth and sustainability.
There is a big difference between reinvesting what you have and not making money, or very much, like Amazon, and losing a lot of money from investors, like Tesla. I am sure they will get more investments to keep them afloat with 10s of billions in orders out there, but there is really something wrong with the valuation of a company when you can almost buy GM for the same price as Tesla.
Attached Images