Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-19-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
what do you think looks better when landing blind, passing the handle or landing wrapped? my friend and I were discussing this yesterday and never really came to a conclusion.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-19-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
IMO, wrapped.

This sounds like a good poll vote topic
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-19-2007, 6:12 AM Reply   
both there are different style aspects to both of them
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2007, 6:14 AM Reply   
I think landing blind but passing shortly after you land looks best. I don't like when people land blind and hold that position forever.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-19-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
I'm with Eubanks....I think landing wrapped and then casually passing right after the landing really shows control and style.

I also think landing switch from a frontside spin (like heel or toe 5) and then casually turning it back to regular on the surface is cool too.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-19-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
^^agreed with Eubanks too, landing blind and holding that edge forever ranks right up there with throwing the handle 'like what!'
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
Ok, this thread is confusing me. Landing blind is just called landing blind (sometimes referred to as half-wrapped), not wrapped. Wrapped is a TS BS 180 or HS 3 without a handle pass
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-19-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
like a raley to blind for instance, you land with the handle behind your back. you can either land with it behind your back and then pass it to your front hand, pass it to your front hand before you land, or you can just bring it over your head without passing.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-19-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
I always thought that landing blind was no handle pas and if you pass the handle then you would land switch. other wise you would always land blind when you did a any 180
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
Jeff - I think most consider a HS BS 180 a potential wrapped landing...not calling it half-wrapped. I know the tricks you're talking about but I've never heard what they are named. Ruck does the same thing with his HS mobe.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
Eubanks, technically, landing any version of a TS BS 180 (which a HS mobe eventually breaks down to)without a handle pass and with the handle behind your back but out towards the flats is known as landing wrapped. Landing any trick that breaks down into a HS BS 180 with the handle behind your back back towards the wake is landing blind. Passing the handle on a backside 180 before the landing is called a backside 180 passing early. That's straight from the Book.

Benjamin, no, I don't mean ole tricks.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
Hmm, I would say the majority of people call a non-handle passed HS BS 180 landing wrapped. Maybe everybody is wrong! :-) I didn't think when you passed the handle changed the name of the landing or trick. When you do a Tantrum to BLIND it is still "to blind" whether you pass it early or land "half wrapped" as you call it.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
Haha, I'm not saying everyone is wrong, I'm just going by what the Book says. Blind refers to the landing (half-wrapped is synonymous with blind, so everyone just uses "blind"), not the spin. A tantrum to blind assumes that you land with the handle behind your back. If you pass the handle before you land, it would be a tantrum to backside 180. Same thing with backside 180's and 540's. A backside 5 with a handle pass before the landing is a handle pass backside 5 or backside 5 passing early. A backside 5 landing blind is called just that, or a blind 540 for short.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-19-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
I think landing either way is awesome looking! (I don't think I understand the difference.)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
On a personal level, I've never heard anyone I ride with call a blind landing wrapped; it's always been blind. No one I know can land a trick wrapped, so I've never heard it on a boat.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
But anyway, back to the discussion, I agree a blind landing on a backside 180 looks better than a backside 180 with a handle pass before you land. Both are sick though.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-19-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
Ok…what if you land blind and you cover your eyes with your hand before you land to emphasize that you’re landing blind…how cool is that?!?! lol
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Like at the slam dunk contests where the guy puts a blindfold on? That would be awesome!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
Jeff's is a great issue that I've discussed at length before and gotten so frustrated I've given up.

I would agree with Jeff that his idea sounds good in theory and would distinguish between two concepts of landing without passing the handle, except that the forefathers of wakeboarding (or more likely skiboarding) carelessly began calling backside spinning by the confusing name "blind" spinning. This leads to people referring to blind 3's, etc. all the time where the landing is clearly not blind because they are mixing "blind" with "backside" spinning. whatever. Wakeboarders have tried to clean this up, but the concept still lingers out there and won't die, like Mike Myers.

For me, I call landing without passing the handle wrapped. And, will continue to do so. IMO, this avoids confusion with the "blind" spinning direction concept that our forefathers so carelessly introduced to the sport.

And, I disagree that people make the distinction between a tanny to blind whether (or if) the handle is passed.

And, finally, back on topic, I think it depends on the trick and the rider's style whether it looks better to land wrapped/blind or pass the handle. I do and enjoy both, but tend to like the feeling of passing right as I land the best as it feels the smoothest.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
BCH, yeah, I'm definitely not trying to say my way is the only way. Whatever floats your boat, it's all good. I'm just repeating what I heard on the Book because I figured the minds and the Wakeboard Camp have a lot more combined experience than just about anyone.

Few people do tantrums with a handle pass in the air (they look totally different), so I'll disagree with you there; if more people did them, I think you would see a different name--other than a tantrum to blind--to differentiate the trick.

So what does everyone call a TS BS 180 with a handle pass after the landing since wrapped was already been taken?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
I'm not sure but I do 3 different TS FS 180's. They are called: The 2 Hander, The RearHandIsNowMyFrontHand One Hander, and the awesomeness of the lazy TS jump that forces me to do a 180 accidently known as the Crossed-Up Mistake TS FS 180! The last one is my favorite!

Ha!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
Here is my example of the 3rd version. Or is it going to be pulled back to a TS wakejump?! You decide!
Upload
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
And...is this TS FS 3 wrapped, half-wrapped, or passed?!
Upload
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
No idea what to call it, but I do know the last one is going to hurt.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Actually, if we're going by the Book again, that last picture would be landing cuffed (landing blind with both hands on the handle behind your back) if you manage to hang on...since you were wondering
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
Haven't watched the Book in a while, but pretty sure I remember them calling an early handle pass an "Up Tantrum to Blind." Could be wrong though. Sean Murray does the Up Tanny to Blind in Mayday and it does look weird. Lots of people pass right as they land, though, which would not be a "blind" landing and hence is not a tanny to blind under your distinction...a tanny to cuffed? please.

Anyways, I agree with you that to each his own and think you make some good points...I'm more upset with the blind spinning concept that keeps lingering around, as evidenced here by the INT trick list for a heel blind 3, and why blind is a screwed up word (and why I avoid it, if possible):

Name Expert, Outlaw and Pro Trick list Category Points

H/S 360 Blind Handle Pass Expert 1300

On your other question, I call both landings "wrapped," but agree that it makes sense to have a distinction. That being said, I'm pretty sure you can tell me the trick and say you landed "wrapped" and I'll be able to tell whether it was "wrapped" or "half-wrapped/blind" from the trick/spinning direction. That's why I} think wrapped works for both, if you know your tricks.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Hurt? Dude I stuck that like nobody's business! I always pass my TS 3's right as I'm landing like that. I've tried to land blind, wrapped, etc. (not passing when I land) but it's much more difficult.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
BCH, come to think of it, you're right, it is called an up tantrum to blind in the Book. So there is a different name for it, just not as drastic as I thought. I categorize anything that's passed at any point after just before you land as "blind".

Eubanks, that's why it's hard to tell anything from pics. My roommate does the sickest stalefish TS 3 (to blind ) I've ever seen, but I'd imagine if you took a pic right before he landed, it would look like he was 120 degrees short.

(Message edited by jcv on September 19, 2007)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-19-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
Yeah, I just stick my TS 3's clean on my TS edge and don't over-rotate like 90% of the yahoos out there.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-19-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
H/S roll to blind passed, is called an up RTB & a wrapped landing is just called a wrapped RTB in my circle friends, I personaly like handle pass better.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-19-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
Didn't read past the first post .. Either way so long as you don't revert if you land wrapped.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-24-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
go check out a video part of jeff weatherall. hes a pro from down under and hes the doctor of landing blind. hes in the movie "updog"
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-24-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
Tootsie Roll landing wrapped was sick!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-24-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
I love landing with the handle behind my back and then casually passing it. There's something about landing blind that makes you feel good.