Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-22-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
So, my friend has a 2001 Ski-Pro Extreme. We took it out this weekend, and at high speeds (25-40mph)the gauge would partially fill with water and leak straight from the face of the gauge. I thought it was water that leaked into the dashboard during storms, and it found it's way out. My friend thinks it may be something with the speedometer cable?

Has anyone seen this? What could be the cause?

Thanks
Old    walt            06-22-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
You could be right. It works by water/air pressure. If the Speedo has a crack in it it might allow water to go all the way up the tube into the speedo.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-22-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
our old boat, when we bought it leaked water through the hose that led up to the speedo when at high speeds, we took it into a shop, and all they did was connect the hose back up and it was fine
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
bad Gauge
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-22-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
Our probe thing, where it sticks into the water to measure speed, has a small steel bearing in the end, maybe it is missing?? Both our boats have the same style probe.

Edit - Neither boat is an inboard, and also neither of them are made in America...

(Message edited by jtnz on June 22, 2009)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
no its a bad gauge
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-22-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
+1^^ bad speedo
Old     (ghind)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-23-2009, 5:00 AM Reply   
Sounds like you have an airguide speedometer and it has blown a diapraghm due to either water freezing in it or due to rust.

If you have an air leak in the tube near the back of the speedo, all the air leaks out of the line and water gets into the back of the speedo. This either freezes or rusts it out. Either way kills airguides. The other common problem is exceeding 50mph/80kph as they are not strong enough to take that. They are probably OK at 53mph but much more kills them quick.

What type of speedo do you have exactly?
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
I have no clue as to what kind of speedo it has. It's my buddy's boat, and this past weekend was the first time I've been on it. I did notice the speedo pick-up was located at the back of the boat, and that the speedo jumped around quite a bit while cruising over rollers.
Old     (ghind)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-24-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
If it is an airguide PM me as I have the only stocks left in the world, unless your buddy picks up an old one on ebay.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2009, 5:24 PM Reply   
Those Ski-Pro Extremes are a riot. Remember the videos of Pat standing that thing up on end & driving around slow... and standing tall.

Definitely a bad speedo. Probably had some water in it & cracked over the winter.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
Or he could have exceeded 50 MPH not that I have any personal experience at that but In my barefoot outboard boat days I remember seeing the Speedos pop and filling with water, and have also experienced the hose flying off the back of the speedo and spraying me
Old     (ghind)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-24-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
Yes I should have noticed. Ski pro extreme. Hardly any doubt they would have gone well over 50mph and popped the speedo. Time for a new one or a refurb.
PM me if you like.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-25-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
yeah, he said they went 60 on one of his last trips out. i know what you guys are talking about. he put the trim way up, and drove slow. i think we were at a 45 degree angle. nuts.

thanks guys
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-25-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
greg, i'll let you know if they want an airguide. thanks
Old     (ghind)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-26-2009, 10:57 PM Reply   
Lots of troubleshooting tips on www.airguide.com.au