Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old    rdizzle            12-19-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
ok so its Maui. Anyway, im headin out there in March 06 for a family reunion/cousins wedding thing and was wondering if there are places in Maui that you can wakeboard. I'll be there for 5 days, so I will have time to surf, scuba and board if available. all help appreciated. thanks
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-19-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
There isn't anywhere good to ride in Maui...but you will be there when the waves should still be good so that should hold you over. You can surf outside the breakwall at Lahaina harbor, up past the Ritz Carlton at Honolua Bay, or over by the airport on the road to Hana. Have fun.

Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-21-2005, 5:43 AM Reply   
I was there a year ago, you can try kite boarding, there are a couple of schools on the island. Surf spots will depend on your ability. Don't go over by the airport on the road to Hana if your not really, really good. When I was there last year the swells were huge.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       12-21-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
Is there anywhere in Hawaii to board on a smooth inland body?
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-21-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
R-$,

I remember a user on this board who lives there, I think his name was Ryan & he was from the isalnds...

I did a search on Google, found this site: http://www.mauiwatersports.com/index.php

Whether you're into sailing Hobie Cats, surfing, kayaking, windsurfing, waterskiing or wakeboarding in Hawaii, we've got you covered...

Good Luck & Post some pics if ya ride!

-=peace=-
Lzy
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       12-21-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
Oahu has Keehi Lagoon and Kaneohe Bay, but no schools or tow services. You need to know people who ride that can hook you up with a pull. There's a tow service at Koko Marina called Hawaii Sports but they're not allowed to add ballast and have to run circlular patterns. Not the best for good water.

On Kauai, there's the Wailua river. Do a search on this site and you'll get info for both islands.
Old    wakecastle            12-21-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
I live on Oahu and ride in Kaneohe Bay (Oahu), I have a boat and offer up a pull. It's (IMO) the best place to go. In the winter time the conditions are the best and often find flat water in the mornings and afternoons.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       12-21-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
I am coming over in like February or March and would love to get a pull. My best friend lives on Maui but I will be traveling all around. So there is a ballast restriction there? What kind of boat? It kicks up a decent wake without ballast?
Old    wakecastle            12-21-2005, 12:57 PM Reply   
Most of us riders over here use saltwater boats converted to wakeboard boats. I have a SeaSwirl 175, with tower, speakers, racks and ballast. I kicks up a decent, clean wake back to 65 feet. After that it washes out. I've had some real good riders behind it with no complaints. It's no SAN, Malibu or Master, but it gets the job done in this environment. PM me your dates and we can set something up, I'm on the water every weekend.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       12-21-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
Gene,
I will be visiting my family on Oahu from March 10-April 16 so if you're there during that time, shoot me an email. I usually take out my brother's Pro Air Nautique at Keehi Lagoon and ride at the ski club. The only place that has restrictions on ballast is at Koko Marina. Keehi Lagoon and Kaneohe Bay don't have ballast restrictions and we usually load up, but because salt water has more buoyancy, it takes a lot more weight to produce a "ballasted freshwater" wake.

Phil, I will contact you when I get back as well. We talked about getting together to ride earlier this year so I hope we can work it out and meet up at either location.

Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       12-21-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
Awesome!! Thanks guys. I will definately shoot you an email when I get out there! My buddy is a good surfer and he likes to embarass me in the surf because I have always kicked his butt at everything else we have ever done. Getting some boarding in will make me feel better. I did not expect such good response as most times I have gone to visit him people have been a little surly towards me there. I am enjoying the fact that wakeboarding is becoming like other sports that welcome guests from out of town to come join in with no common ground but the sport itself! Thanks again!