Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-04-2004, 7:54 PM Reply   
Ok, so after my recent frustrations with hyperlite binding overlays tearing and replacement wait times, I am looking for new bindings. I have read about the killer price on the Alpha bindings, but have not heard any opinions on how they perform. Ankle support, comfort etc.
Old    shareejeremy            08-04-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
I personally love the alphas. The cushion is very supportive but soft and comfy! It has good ankle support too.
I would buy them again in a heartbeat, and yes the price is great! I've had them for about 4 months
Old    backsplit            08-04-2004, 9:43 PM Reply   
they are almost as good as the ultras but better priced
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-04-2004, 11:07 PM Reply   
they are quite possibly the sweetest bindings out there.

they kick the ultra's ass.
Old    kryft            08-04-2004, 11:16 PM Reply   
They kick ass. That's about all there is to it. They're really comfortable, really easy to get in and out of but still holds your foot in really tight. I've never had them pop off my feet and have had some pretty bad spills. They're the sweetest ones out there and the best priced.
Old    steve_chavez            08-04-2004, 11:25 PM Reply   
Been ridin the Alphas all summer. They are great. super comfy super suportive, and i'v takin some huge falls on inverts and 3's (like catchin back edge and won't come out of em untill u losen up the laces which is good caus u won't ruin your knees. way better than the ultras support wise, u end up riding with more confidence. slap these bindings on a decent board and you'l have a kick ass rig. and u can't beat the price
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-05-2004, 4:35 AM Reply   
Best bindings out there. I got them in May and really like them. I did have that little plastic ring on the lace slide break off - but it still works. Demo a pair - i think you will like them.
Old    wakechick            08-05-2004, 5:15 AM Reply   
I can't say much more about the Alphas that hasn't already been said. I agree with all of the above. Another thing too, I haven't heard of any problems with the Alphas tearing/ripping/breaking. Not that it can't happen, but they seem to be very durable.

The new '05 Alphas look awesome!
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-05-2004, 5:34 AM Reply   
I have the Transits, which I believe are very similar except for the baseplate. They are the most unbelievably comfortable bindings I've ever tried. Great support, easy on and off, you won't be disappointed.
Old    shanday            08-05-2004, 6:29 AM Reply   
Just rode my Alphas for the first time Tues.
I use to have HL splits...
These are the only bindings I'll ever need!!!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-05-2004, 6:58 AM Reply   
i think the alpha's are the best binding out their for the money.
Old    jeff_h            08-05-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
I love my pair of Alpha's. They are very comfortable, hold your foot in good and everything. Best binding out there! The only problem that I have had is I broke my ankle while wearing them. Other than that great binding.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-05-2004, 7:57 AM Reply   
They were very comfortable when I tried them on but they lacked the ankle support that I demand. I like a tight and stiff snowboard feel with my bindings. But i will have to say they are very comfotable. Great binding for the money too.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-05-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. I am going to go check out a pair today during my lunch hour. The price is just insane compared to others. The only thing that may deter my purchase is the ankle support. I like a little stiffer ankle support, but will see how they feel.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-05-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
I had a pair of the exo's for a day and the ankle support wasn't much better. I think you would be happy with the transits, but the footbeds were too short for my long flat feet. I have to wear a XXL in o'brein, its the only thing that fits. I hear real good things about the CWB Zeus, so im going to give them a whirl next. Let us know what you do. My felling on the whole thing is $100 or so doesn't bother me in the end if i am actually happy with my purchase.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-05-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
Andy, I have had them for awhile now. At first I didn't like them but it didn't have anything with the binding themselves, it was more that flat foot didn't agree with the footbed arch. I have since gotten used to it and wouldn't trade them in.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-05-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
I just tried them on and they aint gonna work. The absolutely killed my feet!! They were WAY too narrow for my foot. I am bummed because they are soooo much lighter then HL bindings and seem to be more durable. My search shall continue. Thanks for all the info.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-05-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
try a bigger size ?

I had to get XL's even though thier sizing chart recommended a Large.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-05-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
I had to do the same thing as Clint - had to go up a size. Went from HL spins to the Alphas...
"Standard" was an XL for me...?
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-05-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
REALLY!!!! I was thinking that a large would be too big because my toes would barely be seen poking out the front of the boot. I wear a size 9 shoe. Any comments on how the large will fit? My belmonts were a size " standard" or medium as I like to call it.
Old    shanday            08-05-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
I was wearing HL
mini splits but when I bought the Alphas, I got the Medium... try the bigger size
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-05-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
Andrew- you have a foot the size of bigfoot. They don't make bindings in your size
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-05-2004, 12:23 PM Reply   
Seriously Mango, you need to grow up. You are giving 20somethings a bad image. Go back to your little club and leave us "old dudes who don't even wakeboard" to aksing questions related to wakeboarding. Oh, look at the irony of it all.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-05-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tip. I was happy that I was not going to have to spend money on this sport this week, but oh well. I will try the larges tomarow during lunch. My dang feet still ache from the medium I tried on. Had them on for 5 min. If I get the new ones I will surely have to come out to SD to show off my new mad skills with them.

(Message edited by colorider on August 05, 2004)
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-05-2004, 4:37 PM Reply   
you should be set with larges, I wear size 9.5 or 10 shoe depending on the mfg, I wear size 8.5 ski boots and the alphas fit the bill for me, I will be getting them when i get a new package. they recommend the larges for size 9-11 feet I believe... could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time...
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-05-2004, 4:59 PM Reply   
I jusgt tried on the large and OMG they are cozy. I actually thought they were too big and loose until I went to try and move my foot around in the binding. no movement whatsoever. Perfect fit. There is no squishing feeling and no anoying pressure points. I will be giving them a run at the lake tomarow afternoon. Hope they ride as good as they feel.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-05-2004, 11:44 PM Reply   
Which has the best ankle support out of the Transits and the Alphas.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-06-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
once you get those in the water... the heel suction is unreal when they are locked down and when you loosen em they are effortless to take off
SWEET bindings