Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-11-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
We are considering moving our boat from Illinois for the Winter to a marina on Lake Pleasant. I wanted to know some honest opinions of the lake. How are the riding conditions and how is the water/air temp in the winter months. We plan on having the boat there from November to April. Any suggestions on Marina's and general thoughts about the lake would be appreciated.
Old    bocephus            09-11-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
Are you talking about Lake Pleasant in Arizona?
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-11-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
If you're asking about Lake Pleasant in AZ-
During the summer it is crazy crowed on the weekends and not worth going. But ok during the week. After Labor Day traffic gets a lot lighter. I was there last Fri afternoon and not very many boats. The water temp was 86 and the air was 98 at 3:00 pm. Water level is low and dropping until around November and fills during the winter. Water temp is great until they start filling and hits a low of around 55 Jan/Feb. Air temps vary during the winter, but if the suns shining, alls good. If it isn't windy it is pretty nice water everywhere in the winter. If the wind kicks up you have to look for the protected areas. If you are staying in the NW area of the valley it is not a bad choice, but if you are on the east side, consider a couple of other lakes.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-11-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
Sorry guys, yes I am looking at Pleasant in AZ. A buddy of ours has a condo in Phoenix, so we have a place to stay and wanted to store the boat out there for the winter. Not set on Pleasant though, any other AZ lakes you would suggest?
Old     (joec08)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-11-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
As for a winter lake,Pleasent is great, easy to get to and a good marina.See you on the water.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-11-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
Something else to think about:

Do you keep your boat in the water in Illinois?

When would be the last time it would be in the water before bringing it to Az?

The reason I ask is because of the possibility of polluting Az Lakes with mussels or other marine life in Illinois. If you're planning to move the boat then I strongly recommend you look into that as some marine life can last weeks in your cooling system. Not that you can't make the move, just that you should be very careful about it. :-) If it seems like too much of a burden let me know and I'd be happy to do the research for you. I've taken classes dealing with this and just such a scenario, Ill. to Az was mentioned.

Besides that though, Az is great and Pleasant is a great lake. I gave a kid from NJ a pull in March and he didn't even use a wetsuit because our winter water wasn't that much colder than his summer water.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2007, 10:06 PM Reply   
Pleasant is my home lake. I keep my boat there and they have the best storage options in the state. I like Pleasant. You can get what you want, when you want. Late fall through early spring, I may see a couple boats out on any one day. That on over 110 miles of shoreline works for me. I know the AZ lakes well. Email me for more....

And drop me an email when you get here. I have a crew WW's that love to get out.
Old     (makai_surfer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-12-2007, 12:34 AM Reply   
Hey wakegump, I also make Pleasant my home lake and love the services the Harbor Marina provides. They have a great staff from the front office to the storage yard. Ben is right, they have the very best storage options, excellent customer service, and during the week the lake is very quiet.

With that said the weekends do get a bit rowdy and crowded for sure, but all of the lakes in the Phoenix area are busy on the weekends!

Right now the air temp is between 95-105 and the lake has been right at 86. The air temp will get down to the high 60s, but mostly in the mid 70s all winter. Expect the water to hit the high 50s to low 60s at the coldest point. With the sun out and a good sweat shirt, its a good day in the desert to be on the lake even in the winter...

While there are other lakes in AZ to ride, none have the quality of service and storage options that you will find at Pleasant. Hope to see you out there this fall/winter. And be sure to call the Harbor Marina and get some details from them that may help you in your search.