Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-10-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
Well I was trying to look up online to see if you can do any boating in the wonderful Eastern Pennsylvania river the Mighty Schuylkill. My cousin likes in Norristown which is pretty close to where you can launch. But my issue is does anyone know how deep the area is right outside of Philly???? I have a Tige 21i if that makes any difference. I know nothing about the river but my cousin asked me about it so I figured alot of you NJ riders might know something about it. Thanks! Brandon
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-10-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
I use to belong to the Port Indian ski club there on that river. You can run for about 1 1/2 miles north of the public launch in Norristown.
The shallow area is about 1/2 the distance and is 3 feet deep or so. I wouldn't try it with a v-drive with ballast, and the area by the launch is only 3 feet deep also.

The best spot is on the west side of the island, we always had glass for barefooting there and it's deeper.

We ride the Delaware river between Trenton and Burlington. 40' deep and lots of room to ride.
Early mornings are best, of course. Come ride with us sometime!
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-10-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
WOW, that is some shallow water........hmmmmmnot sure if I would want to attemp that! Not that we really weigh the boat down much....but I would like to keep my dorsal fins and prop! hmmmmmmm How far do you board from Norristown?????? I remember talking to you about heading to Raystown sometime this summer. I know that is a pretty far haul for you! But I think you would like it. providing like every other place you get out first thing in the morning or find a nice cove! ALso I wanted to keep you guys in the loop for some possible Tige riders coming to our lake this spring.....I'll post or PM you when I find something out. Thanks again! Also are there any other places to boat close to Norristown? I wouldn't want to go to far out there pulling the boat.......
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-19-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
I went to the last XGames that was held in Philly, and the wakeboarding was done on the Schuylkill River.
The river was so shallow and mucky that they had to keep stopping the tow boat to clean-out the water filter
because it kept getting clogged with gunk. And on top of that, it was like the hottest, must humid day
of the summer. Any one else remember that day?
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-19-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
I remember that Alex.Brandon,I love my Tige to much to put her in the Schuylkill River. Don't do it.This is where we board. It's 36 miles from you if you come into N.J., but you can put in on the Philly side and save yourself atleast 10 miles drive time.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-19-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
I was at the Philly XGames both years. That water looked so foul!
Here are some pics from the first year there for a blast from the past.
http://picasaweb.google.com/schooledrider/XGamesPhilly
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-10-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
Brandon, like Jim said from Norristown your best area to ride is the Delaware river. One closer launch is at Neshaminy state park in Bensalem PA.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/neshaminy.aspx

Only 28 miles from Norristown, or about 38 minutes. There is also a launch on Tacony St. in Philly, but riding conditions there would be windy and rough at times.

When are you guys doing something at Lake Heritage? Are you part of the Gettysburg Marine crew?