Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old    ill_rider            10-10-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
We are possibly moving to the Miami area in the next few months. Are there any wakeboarding clubs? Where are the best places to ride? I will be working north of the city in the Hialeah area. Looking for advice on housing and would like to locate near good water. School will be an issue as I have a 2 ½ year old. We will probably not be there long enough catch up if the bubble pops so I am a bit concerned.

Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       10-10-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
Welcome to Miami....just moved here from Orlando...which I didn't want to leave. There are only a few places to ride down here. There is a nice place just west of Ft. Lauderdale called Markum Park, not bad water, narrow so you don't have boats going in idiots going in circles churning up the water, but the place does get a little crowded at time.

I don't know of any wakeboard clubs....I hate to say this on this site, but I joined a ski club and actually picked up skiing the course. Check out this site www.miamiwaterski.com. They do allow wakeboarding, but you can't use wake enhancing devices in the canal only in the open section of the lake. Its nice cause you can store your boat right there next to the private lake, I am on the water about 4 days a week. The bad part is not much wakeboarding, but there are a few us that do....let me know if you have any questions.
Old    ill_rider            10-11-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
Cool, thanks Jeff. We did find that club and we belong to a water ski club now. Although I mostly wakeboard it is nice to have access to verity. I think we are going to look in the Miami Lakes area but we have just started our research. I you do not mind I will shoot you an email when things firm up more.
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       10-11-2005, 6:09 PM Reply   
No problem. The Ski club is a hell of a set up. Probably one of the best in the world. I am new to the area so I won't be much on showing you around, but let me know when you make a visit and I will take you out on the lake and show you the club.
Old     (tidalwake0504)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-13-2005, 12:17 AM Reply   
If you want to ride in the salt around the miami-south beach area you should go to Marine Stadium. Its on Key Beyscayne just south of the beach. Im there every day, but because of traffic thinking about moving my boat to the ski club also.
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-14-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
I'll be in Miami all next week on business. If it's not a problem, I'd love to find a pull??? Please let me know.

Peace be the journey.
Old    e420x            10-14-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
How wakeboarder friendlyt is the ski club? Is it worth driving down to from west palm ..I am looking for somewhere with some nice flat water and no jet skis
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       10-14-2005, 4:50 PM Reply   
Where do you go in West Palm...I lived 6 months on a little lake in Lantana/Lake Worth. Don't remember the name, but yes filled with Jet Skis.

I would never say they are wakeboarder friendly. They do allow you do do it, but if you are using any wake enhancing devices you have to stay out of the smooth canals. The canals are glass all day everyday.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-14-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
haha yeah lake osbourne is super jet ski infested, and if you have a normal day job it's pretty tought to go when they are not there.

it is not worth the expense to store my boat down here so it is at central FL at a friend's house.
Old    ill_rider            10-15-2005, 6:08 AM Reply   
What about the “canal”? A friend took ski lessons in the Miami area and said they were in a canal.

Tim, did you live in Decatur a few years back? If so you gave me my first real pull, thanks.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-15-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
yup i used to live up in decatur! what a small world!