Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-18-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
I've had trouble with my ankles for a few years, I had a consistant "compression" injury (my name for it) where I get shooting pains through my ankle when the foot moves towards the shin. It never seemed to get better, I tried arnica cream, massage and stretching, it would get better but always be there to some degree. I rode most of last season with niggling pain.

Anywho, I started skipping (jumping rope) to loose some weight for Rugby and my ankle got better in a week, I thought it was a coincidence so didn't think to much about it. A couple of weeks ago I injured by other ankle landing hard out in the flats and decided to try skipping to see if it would heal it up. I skip every morning for around 7-10 minutes, after 10 days my ankle is back to new and feels strong as ever.

So if you have cronic ankle pain you might want to try skipping to help the healing process.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-18-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
I hurt my ankles about 3-4 weeks ago, came down horizontal to the water, board snapped up and my ankles came up towards my shins...2 weeks later, I worsened it, and last week just from stepping down onto the seat my ankle buckled..it's weird because it only happens at certain times, or angle i put my ankle..but the pain HURTS like hell.>>

Maybe i'll try skipping rope...but i have to go see the doc to see if i did anything serious..

Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-18-2005, 4:54 PM Reply   
I'll try that.
Thanks
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-18-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
Yea thanks for the info... I belive i'll start!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-18-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
Skipping Rope??? Humm sounds intresting Ill try,
I boke my ankle (talus) some 3 years ago and it still haunts me to this day, Every once in a while I hurt it Wakeboarding and Ill be limping for 2 weeks it makes me want to hang up the board. I havent thought of a strength training via jumping rope but Ill give it a try,
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-18-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
I have noticed the same thing. I partially contribute mine to being overweight. But have always suspected riding made it worse, since I didn't seem to have this untill recently. Guess I better go get me a rope.
Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-18-2005, 10:09 PM Reply   
I broke my tibia & fibula about 2 1/2 years ago on a dirt bike. The tibia was broke just above the ankle and has given me a mild to moderate pain everytime I ride. I also get the severe pain in my ankle when I land like you decribed with my toes flexing toward my shin, then it bothers me and I have to limp for about 2-3 days. I have tried to think of different ways to exercise or rehab it but nothing has made much of an improvement. I never thought of a jump rope, I will give it a try. Thanks for the idea, I would be so happy if it were as good as my right ankle again.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-19-2005, 12:04 AM Reply   
Over the years of volleyball, hockey, etc., I have sprained both ankles several times. Now, at my ripe, old age, they just about always bother me. Especially when I come up short on a w2w jump, and stack the top of the wake. Just about 8 months ago it was so bad that I was back in PT. Stretching really helps, along with an occasional adjustment by a chiropractor. What has helped me the most is getting on a routine of Glucosamine/Chondroitin (joint juice). I know a couple others that have seen a great benefit from this as well.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-19-2005, 6:17 AM Reply   
Darren sounds just like my left ankle after compressing extremely hard on a raley, not intentioal of course, I jacked both ankles good enough to force , yes force me off the water for 3 weeks, this was back in August, now my left ankle is doing what you described.

I went out this past weekend for about the 3rd or 4th time since the accident and I could only ride for about 5-10mins total cause it hard everytime I wake jumped. I will start that jump roping thin today to give it a shot, oh andI do take glucosamine.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-19-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
Toes coming towards the shin is a dorsiflection injury. I am an expert on the subject. Try running with jump soles, skipping rope or any thing that will strengthen the ankle and calf. I ran 10 miles a week all winter with the jump soles and did not have any problems with my ankle all summer.