Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old     (yeaitsmemarc)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-23-2004, 10:05 PM Reply   
How do you do a "Hot pick-up" Seen it done,It looks like picking the boarder up w/out ever having to stop.. sort of one continuous maneuver. Thanks!
Old     (leinad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-23-2004, 10:53 PM Reply   
Don't be that kook
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2004, 10:56 PM Reply   
Thank you Daniel, you probably just saved some poor saps life.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-23-2004, 11:13 PM Reply   
the closest thing that i've done to this would be the boat coming back around slowly, getting you the roap, pulling it tight and hitting it as soon as it gets tight, as to not yank your shoulders. My dad and I have the timing down pat so it's no big deal anymore, but if anyone else tries it it's hard. Or is this even what you're talking about?
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-23-2004, 11:38 PM Reply   
Darin is correct. It is a timing thing. Hit the gas too soon and you rip your buddies arm off...well maybe not completly off.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-23-2004, 11:38 PM Reply   
We do that when pulling doubles. If done right the person still up goes to the outside and sinks only slightly but never completely looses plane. While the fallen rider gets a pretty good yank back up. Takes a good driver and two good riders. Becareful as the rope can do serious damage if it gets caught around a body part.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-24-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
i was at the lake wth some people we met there and him and his son did this, then he went to get me up and i have never done it and was just sitting there with the handle getting ready and all of the sudden he goes, i didnt expect it and he had to pull back around and remember that others dont do what him and his son do.
Old    goose69            02-24-2004, 8:17 AM Reply   
Just curious... is there something wrong with taking the time to make sure of a safe start. We all know that wakeboarding is dangerous enough to cause death. Why even raise the risk, for the 20-30 sec. more of riding time.

Just doesn't make sense to me.

(Message edited by goose69 on February 24, 2004)
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-24-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
good point jared
Old     (mwaken)      Join Date: May 2003       02-24-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
My buddy was a good driver and did quick starts with me. Quick starts use the same concept of a rider sinking when you make a turn and then speeding up to pop him up. Make only a 90 degree L turn around the rider(go slow here like you would regularly pick them up, safety) and keep going striaght until the rope is almost tight. Then turn the last 90 degrees hard and hit it. If the rope is not tight then turn a little bit away from the rider to make it tight while you are speeding up and then straighten out. The key is the riders position, you want the rider to be directly on the side of the boat with the rope almost tight when you make your last turn. Not very difficult to do, just make sure your rider knows that you're going to do it so he can let go if you screw up.
Don't know if that explanation was confusing or not?

Quick starts save a little bit of time but the best part is you don't have to worry about crossing your big wakes slowly and drowning your boat.
Old    deltahoosier            02-24-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
That is why you stop the boat, let the waves pass you by, and they you goand get the rider. That way you stay in your line with the rider so he is protected, You do not soak the boat and you do not throw rollers all around every direction.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
it works fine and saves the transmision, especially on an I/O. It does not make wakeboarding any more dangerous then it already is by just taking off as soon as the handle gets to you. A simple jog to the right with the steering wheel 10-15 feet before the rider gets the rope slows the forward momentum down enough that the rope is almost stopped in your hands. Honestly if you think wakeboarding is that dangerous, come on people it is dangerous but so is walking down the sidewalk nowadays. How many people have we all heard of dieing while wakeboarding with a vest on? There are way more accidents associated with just putting the boat in the water (slick ramps,etc) to just riding around (hit some rollers and someone falls) to pulling the boat out....(well there was that vet that got dunked pulling a lake roach mobile). If wakeboarding is that dangerous you are doing something wrong because its supposed to be fun...
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
I say bad idea ,it will just lead to more power turners,possible injury and we are not in a race ..better to do like rod says above stop and take your time,in the long run it makes for a better run..the time wasted going to pick up the rider slowly lets the rollers calm down from the pass before he fell. If your back up so quickly you end up wasting time going back over your own rollers and getting back on line anyway..it keeps the water way stirred up..

also giving the rider a break after he falls is nice ,gives me time to think about what i did wrong or get advice on what the boat saw so i can fix it on the next try...all good IMO :-)

Old    upupnaway            02-24-2004, 5:03 PM Reply   
Wasn't there an article on here last year featuring a guy who lost part of a finger due to not treating the rope with respect?
not worth the risk.
Old    klk            02-24-2004, 5:16 PM Reply   
A friend of mine got his arm crushed in six places by the rope when the rope jerked out his hand cause of the sudden pull from a slack jerk in the rope.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-24-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
dude. its dangerous to go outside, so many things could happen, why risk doing something fun in life when theres a possibility of gettin hurt or killed?
Old     (mwaken)      Join Date: May 2003       02-24-2004, 7:26 PM Reply   
It's not dangerous at all because the rope doesn't go any faster in your hands then picking the rider up regularly. And you don't speed through the whole turn, just when you start pointing the direction you were going. I don't use it very often it just saves time if your trying to get in a couple sets before it gets dark cause waiting for rollers to pass and idling back to the rider can take a while that's all.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-25-2004, 5:06 AM Reply   
Yea, what he said. As far as rollers go many of us (especially in the peak of summer)dont have the priviledge of riding on waters that are glass anyway. Your not going to convince all the boaters to sit by and just watch while you wakeboard and then when your done they will tube or jetski or just blast past looking cool. Oh yea the way we pick the rider up would never break any bones, we dont hit the gas till the rider has the rope in his hands and the rope is straight (we are just in gear and no further). "Danger, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder." I forget where oi got that but it is very appropriate.