Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (SurfTex)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-01-2013, 12:57 PM Reply   
I wanted to say a big thank you to Ragboy for his recommendations in getting our surf wake this dialed in. We primarily ride regular thus we are mainly focused on the port side. We have the pro-ballast setup and we swapped out the rear port bag for a custom Z3 ballast that holds just over 1300 lbs. With the port side front ballast full and port side rear ballast full, I will then fill the starboard front ballast to 75% and keep the rear stock ballast at around 50%. The weight or ballast percentage that you run on the starboard side is directly proportionate to where people are sitting and getting the boat to list to around 8%. I typically run taps at 3 and pull a little slower than 11mph but the speed depends quite a bit on the board you are riding and the weight of the rider. With this setup the wave has good push and there is about an 8-10' sweet spot.

Here is a picture of what the wave looks like with 3 people on the boat. Keep in mind the water was a bit choppy that day so the wave isn't quite a smooth as it normally is. For those of you with a Z3, I hope this post helps in your quest for the ultimate surf wave.

SurfTex
Attached Images

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-01-2013, 1:10 PM Reply   
That looks awesome! Do you have the Convex VX?
Old     (SurfTex)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-01-2013, 7:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
That looks awesome! Do you have the Convex VX?
No VX. I purchased my boat before it was an option. I have thought about adding one but the wake has been so good to date I haven't felt the need.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-01-2013, 8:46 PM Reply   
Your welcome, and that is looking great. It is such a fun wake.
Old     (93lxt)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-02-2013, 5:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for the post.

I just took delivery of my 2012 z3 and installed the convex vx last week and can't get any push with the surf ballast setup the boat came with.

I have the pro ballast bow bags coming from tige this week as well as aftermarket custom sacks for the port and starboard rear sides.

Any tips for setting up with the vx ?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-02-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
The VX makes an even nice transition, and it also smooths out the wake and keeps the wash off, but it also adds a bit of lift. We found that when we weighted without the VX, adding 3-400 lbs on the surf side seemed to fix that, compared to without.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-03-2013, 3:16 PM Reply   
Damn that looks good.. like you've got a stack of 9950s in the locker.
"-)
Old     (natedogg)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-03-2013, 4:15 PM Reply   
SurfTex, is that Canyon Lake?
Old     (SurfTex)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-03-2013, 4:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg View Post
SurfTex, is that Canyon Lake?
Close natedogg, Lake Travis.