Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-26-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
Came up way short on Friday and too straight legged but luckily i was wearing knee braces...the unfortunate part is that i broke my Tibia. I can say that is pretty much the end of my season. Never,ever thought i would ever break a bone wakeboarding.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       07-26-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear bro...wish you a well & speedy recovery. Oh and welcome to the club! Did mine last year.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-26-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear Randy. I broke my Tibia plateau in 2003... two operations and 9 months later i was good as new. Take it slow, the Tibia is a very important bone. I broke it the same way too, i straight legged a landing and that was it! Talk about painful too.
Old     (aaron_l)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-26-2009, 9:00 PM Reply   
I feel ya. I broke my tibia and fibula on a TS backroll last week. I also had to get two screws put in my ankle so the bones heal properly. Needless to say my season is over too. Sucks for us, but I plan on becoming a pretty darn good photographer.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-27-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
Aaron i find that very funny because at 34 yrs old i think that is the end of inverts for me as i always thought i had backrolls in my bag i blame it on Dave and the huge wake on the wakeworld ghost...hahaha sorry Dave. I contribute alot of Photos to wakeworld so needless to say i think i am going to hone my photo skills more than my wake skils from here on out.

I appreciate the responses as i have never broke anything other than my collarbone. I have no idea how long this will take to heal or what it entails
Old     (aaron_l)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-27-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Hopefully my invert career isn't finished, but the doc told me it will be about 3 months before I'm totally healed, which puts us in mid October and pretty chilly water up here in Wisconsin, but hopefully next summer I'll be out progressing again!
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-27-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
...yes the ol staight legged landing!...its a killer!

sorry dude...I also had a leg fracture. you will learn from this and by no means are inverts over, you will become a better and smarter rider from it....i.e making sure your more prepared, paying more attention to detail etc....being focused not to tired , know when to quit the session....the list goes on but you'll be back!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-27-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
I have to say that it was pretty painful to watch Randy in the rear view mirror when he broke it. His body did some very unnatural things and creeped me out. I know something was wrong right away and the moaning coming from Randy confirmed it. I'll put the video up soon so we can all be grossed out together! :-)

Good luck with the surgery Randy. Let me know if you need anything!!
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-28-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Good Luck Randy! Hope the best for you.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-28-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
That sucks man, good luck with the surgery
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-29-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
Thanks Blabel and here i was hoping i was going to get to ride with you

Dave, where's the video?
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-29-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
Good news no surgery needed...though i am in a full leg cast for 3-4 months then rehab...but it sure beats full on surgery and it's charger blue hahaha
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-29-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
Good for the no surgery, bad for the 3-4 months
Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-29-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
Hmmmmm, I'll be 60 at end of August and had in mind to get a invert wired before that cutoff. Probably illegal past 60.... you busted up guys make it sound so inviting!
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-30-2009, 1:16 AM Reply   
oops i mean 3 to 4 weeks
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-30-2009, 6:05 AM Reply   
Oh good! I was trying to figure that one out.
Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-30-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
i feel you. i broke my foot (liz frank) on fathers day. so im out till november. ill post pics too..
[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/dizzlestoy/brokefoot.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/dizzlestoy/FOOT/footxray.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/dizzlestoy/FOOT/IMG00004.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/dizzlestoy/FOOT/IMG00005.jpg[/IMG]
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-30-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
Dale, good luck with that recovery. I had a lis franc fracture in 2004, I opted for no surgery and mine healed perfectly.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-30-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
That is Good news Randy, glad no surgery needed, you will be back in no time.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-30-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
Wow Dale that foot looks brutal heal up quick....

Here are the Xrays...and i never noticed that the fibula was fractured and another crack thru the tibia to the ball socket but my Doc did. Still don't know how this doesn't require surgery but he said everything is still in its place and if he had to do surgery putting all the pieces back together would be brutal....ie lots of plates and screws

Upload
Upload
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-30-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
heal up just in time for desert season, really sorry to hear this bro, maybe you can come out and be my new professional driver/photographer, best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-30-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Here's the video. I don't recommend you slo mo it cuz it's pretty gross...

http://www.wakeworld.com/personal/randy/randybreak.mov
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       07-30-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
ouch!, that was pretty brutal. heal up quick! us "old" guys don't heal like we used to....
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-30-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
okay i'll admit it i looked at it slo mo...holy crap that's gross...thanks Dave...I'll always remember that one...hahaha
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-30-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
Gawd there's no way I could look at my own video like that. I could barely watch it as is!

Heal up man, sorry to see that happen to you.
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-03-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
just curious..how fast were you going? I have been trying to learn going 19 and definitely dont want that to happen..
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-03-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
you guys are tough!

It seems no matter what kind of beating you want to go back out there and take some more.

I think if that happened to me id take up another sport lol
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-04-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
Not sure how fast Sean somewhere between 21-23

I've cased a wake when i was learning the backroll and somehwo drove my knee into my face and ended up biting through my lower lip resulting in 9 stitches

that was 6 years or so ago...ever since that trick has more or less been in the "bag" and i generally do it to warm up to doing Tantrums and learning other new tricks however after this particular crash and the pain and trouble that it has placed on me, my family and my job i have officially retired it but can say that i've done some pretty big backrolls in my day

I will not quit riding as i love the sport and the feeling of riding on a sheet of glass and my girlfriend told me i better not quit cause she knows i will turn into a total jerk....lol
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-05-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
lol true that! Could never quit riding but as I get older the more advanced tricks seem farther away. At 28 an injury like that would hurt me personally and professionally. Not to mention just not being able to ride at all would suck!
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-05-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Damn that does not look fun, best of luck recovering.

But once you do, your probably going to have to stomp that once more before you retire it!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       08-05-2009, 10:39 PM Reply   
I went through a tibia fibula break, so I know what you're going through. I'm really sorry to hear, and see, that this happened to you. Wishing you a healthy & easy healing process. And take my advice: stick with the rehab. Don't skip sessions, ever. Really. It's the biggest mistake I made while mine healed.