Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-01-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
Which one is the best bang for the buck?Any drawbacks for either one?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
It depends how you use the batteries so you need to provide additional info. As a starting battery I don't think they are worth the expense. As a house battery they may make sense.
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-01-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
thay will only run the stereo and nothing else.The starting batt is a regular starting batt.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-01-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
But if you have an onboard charger, or if you use a single charger ever to charge both batteries you may want to be careful mixing. Usually best to stay with one type, and replace them together.

Last edited by camassanger; 03-01-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
A word of caution, charging requirements for both batteries is different.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-01-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
If you leave most of the 'high-tech' batteries discharged they are more likely to fail than conventional. It just requires more thought on keeping the right charge in them.
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-01-2010, 9:24 PM Reply   
Went with interstate group 29 thay have 125 amp hr for $79.00 at sams seems like a good deal .
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-02-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
IMO AGM's aren't the way to go in a marine environment. Like has been stated before, they have different charging requirements than a conventional battery. If you charge them at anything over 15.5 volts they're toast. From what I've seen they are more prone to early failure, too. I usually see at least 5 years from standard automotive batteries, but am only seeing 3-4 years for AGM's.

I'm sure there are other opinions, and probably those that have done more specific research, but for my money a good standard deep cycle does the trick.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-02-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
IMO the only advantage AGM or gel batteries have over wet is their mounting options. Some argue they are mroe durable ( vibration/shock). I just dont' see it. They are expensive for what most people use them for ( true deep cycle application)

Just the other day I was in the auto parts store and some guy was flying off the handle b/c he spent $250 on an optima yellow top and now its' dead after 9 months and they are having trouble witht he warranty. The sales guy said you shoudl have spent $50 on our house ( flooded) brand and we coudl hae replaced it for free up to 3 years, lol.