Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    utskier            05-02-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
At what point do you think more body weight becomes a major disadvantage in riding. Obviously, being lighter will let you get higher and farther, and be easier on your knees. I am right on the 200 lb line, but I am a power lifter in college (excused absences) so I have more muscle mass, not as much body fat. How much do you think my riding would improve if I dropped down to say 170. I am trying to really improve my riding and I am considering dropping the power lifting so I can shed some of the excessive muscle mass. Do you know anybody around 200 that can really go big?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-02-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
When I first started riding I was major into lifting, but more of a body-building type of routine. Sounds off, but I felt stronger after dropping 10-15 pounds and loosing some muscle. The purpose of extra muscle is defeated when you have to pull it around. Plus, I was tired by the end of the week when I went to ride from all of the lifting in the gym. I think the leaner/lighter guys do have a slight advantage, but I do know big guys that fricken rip too.

Old     (liquidmarcus)      Join Date: May 2004       05-02-2005, 12:49 PM Reply   
Shapiro can rip and he's a beast
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       05-02-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
Shapiro isn't that tall, at all. He's very short, but stocky... I doubt he's anywhere near 200 pounds. I'm willing to bet he's closer to 150.

-Blake
Old    mia            05-02-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
its more about lean muscle mass to weight ratio...

keep in mind muscle has less mass than fat...
Old    murrayair            05-02-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
Parks kills it, and he's no lightweight. If you weigh more look into getting a bigger board.
Old    mcculloughrg            05-02-2005, 1:15 PM Reply   
Drake, I was also a powerlifter in the Marine Corps, I am also at the 200 mark. I don't lift like I used to but I still have the bulk up top and midsection. I am trying to drop the weight, I lift low weight high reps now. I was looking at dropping to the 170 mark as well. I think this would be a huge improvement. Growing up I was a lot smaller, I graduated high school at 117lbs. I was also on a waterski team at that time for 4 years. I had much more agility, now that I have much more mass up top, I don't have the versitility in my arms because of the bulk. I dropped the heavy lifting altogether, I hope in time the mass goes away. I haven't lifted heavy in about 3 years and I still carry the mass though. I beleive that will be a much better rider if I could lose the weight.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-02-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
I say it's more about flexibility than it is about size and mass. Look at Rusty Malinowski. He's 6'0 200lbs and he kills it. If the lifting is making you feel tight it's going to affect handle passes and your ability to grab the board. Otherwise I'd say it's good to be fit, but just look at Parks, he kills it anyway.
Old    ryan26            05-02-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
What about height do you think that being tall is a disadvantage
Old    260searay            05-03-2005, 2:58 AM Reply   
I am 6'1" and 207. I lift everyday for the past 2 and a half years. I read a lot that rookies will get sore and i have never gotten sore so i think being in shape definately helps
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-03-2005, 6:29 AM Reply   
I think I beat all of you. When I landed my first invert (backroll) I was 225lbs 5'8. I was playing d-line in high school. Two years later I am 180 5'10. My riding has increased tremendously, I can't belive I was carrying an extra 45lbs for no reason. I am still lifting weights, but I also run a little and cut down majorly on the calorie intake.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-03-2005, 8:55 AM Reply   
How about Jason B.? He rips and is a big guy. Gives hope to the rest of us.
Old     (loux2)      Join Date: May 2004       05-03-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
I am 6'0 and 225 lbs. Last year I was around 205 and I totally notice a difference. The winter months were not good to me. I am doing the tread mill and cutting back on the food intake. Being lighter is a definite advantage. I was wondering if anyone was killing it at 200 lbs 6' tall?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-03-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
Molanawskit(sp) is like 6'1-210, Heer is 6'2(225), Kovax is is 6'1(205), I am in 6'-3" 300lbs. Sure lighter is better, but not impossible if you are heavy. It still comes down mechanix and balls!
Old     (loux2)      Join Date: May 2004       05-03-2005, 9:14 AM Reply   
Buffalow, your my hero. I feel like I am the only one out there at 225.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-03-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
"keep in mind muscle has less mass than fat..."

Clubmyke, this statement makes no sense. 100 lbs of feathers has more mass then 10 lbs of lead. I think you are refereing to density, and muscle has more density than fat. Muscle is 22% more dense than fat....

http://outside.away.com/bodywork/mrfit/archives/199910/19991006.html
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-03-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
Like Jason said, It's not all about weight. Much comes down to technique, heart, wake size and shape, and courage.
However, lighter lean muscle mass is better. The one benefit that Brady Sammons told me for being big is that falls don't hurt him as much. I usually try to drop from 195 to 185 for the wakeboard season. I use mountain biking, my spin machine and the trampoline to slim down and get ready.
I also believe that the less weight you're carrying the less strain on your ligaments. When I was riding and working out with darin I was up to 204 and definitely felt it taking a toll on my body.
Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-04-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
Hey Mike I want to thank you for the tips about starting kids.I showed them the video and they are really stoked.They also said "that guy is big...He really flys in the air"
There is hope for the 200 lbs class.
That video should get more kids into camp.