Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    tyerone44            06-22-2003, 4:59 PM Reply   
I know that this question has been aked before and I swear I read it but now I can't find it in the archives. i ahve a steering problem in my 1990 prostar 190 very stiff. i do not own a owners manual for it . I know that I ahve to grease someting but I have no clue where to begin. Please help
Old    millerman            06-22-2003, 6:06 PM Reply   
To start with, there is a zerk fiting near the steering wheel shaft behind the dash. Check to make sure that has grease. Second, check near the rudder pivot shaft just inside the boat, there is another zerk fitting. Those are common items that get missed often.
Old    vanderski            06-22-2003, 6:36 PM Reply   
You will have to probably pull the engine cover and the back center panel if you have one to get the the rudder zirk. When you fill the rear you will need turn the stearing whell back and forth to work in the grease. Be carefull because some might shoot back out the zirk fitting. There are companies out there that make a extension to the fitting so you do not have to take the back of the boat apart to get to it. I have seen on some Calabria boats a round hole with a screw in cap put in the back for access also.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-23-2003, 6:14 AM Reply   
If the grease doesn't work (didn't for me) don't mess with it, just buy a new one and install. Takes a couple of hours depending on how much you have to drink. It really is simple, just make sure you tie (or duct tape) a good rope to the end of the old one and pull it out. Then attach the new one to the rope and pull it back through. And then your steering will be good as new! Makes a HUGE difference.
Old    aka Bradley Beach            06-23-2003, 7:06 AM Reply   
How much was the steering cable pwork? I'm also in need of either a greasing or a new steering cable...
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-23-2003, 8:17 AM Reply   
We just went through this with our boat. The stiffness can be caused by one of two things (or both in our case). #1 - Your steering cable is bad. Or #2 - The rudder stuffing box is bad or needs cleaning/greasing. To check and see which one it is simply disconnect the steering cable down near the rudder and check the steering wheel and the rudder separately. We replaced our steering cable only to find out that the rudder stuffing box was bad as well. This box had grease fittings but greasing didn't help (our seals were bad and consequently got contaminated with dirt etc.) Hope this helps.

J. Lembas
Fluid Concepts
www.fluidconcepts.net
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-23-2003, 9:45 AM Reply   
Kstate, ~$150 to the door.