Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (KGar11)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-04-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
Im tired of wasting time pulling up to the pump dock and paying way too much for gas. Does anyone have good tips or techniques for siphoning gas into the boat
thanks
Kevin
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-04-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
There's been a number of threads on here dealing with this. I bought something like this and it was the best $10 I ever spent.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2607256...Types&var=sbar
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-04-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
Another one:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHIQ8wIwAg
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-04-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
Put your 5 gallon can on the dock. You will need a hose long enough to reach from the can to the boat. It helps to have a medal tube on one end of the hose. This will help get the hose down inside of the tank filler and help keep it there. Put the other end of the hose in the bottom of your 5 gallon can. Cup the end of the can with your hand to create a seal between the can and the hose. Gently press your knee into the can while you are holding the hose and the neck of the can. You do not have to press hard or fast to get the fuel to flow. It will drain the 5 gallon can in no time.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-06-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
I think Kevin was referring to stealing the gas to save money when he mentioned siphoning.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-06-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
lol @ Tim.

I use a super siphon hose myself, I keep my boat in storage at the ramp. I fill my cans and bring them with me and fill my tanks in the storage with one of those. Just as easy when filling on the dock. Never spill unless we overfill when not paying attention. OH and there may be a teaspoon of fuel sitting on top of "valve" when you pull the hose, shake it till you're playing with it to get that last bit out of the hose before pulling it out of the can.

I have found them at Academy and BassPro on the shelf.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-06-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
I use Jamie's way. With this method I can drain a 5 gallon can into the boat in 10 seconds.
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-06-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
Jamie or Ryan ...

any chance of you guys posting a photo of your set-ups. Specifically the metal portion you're sticking down into the boat's gas tank filler port.

Thanks guys!
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-06-2011, 7:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottog1979 View Post
There's been a number of threads on here dealing with this. I bought something like this and it was the best $10 I ever spent.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2607256...Types&var=sbar
This is all you need
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-06-2011, 10:14 PM Reply   
Jamie and Ryan, are you guys using 3/4" or 1/2" tubing?
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-06-2011, 10:41 PM Reply   
Before sacking out your boat, use your tsunami pump! That should be long and easy enough! jk
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2011, 6:45 AM Reply   
I purchased 4 Hunsaker cans about 2 years ago because I got so tired of the crappy offerings. I'm not sure if you can still find them and they are not cheap. The cans are not listed as fuel cans because they do not have the new spouts. I never spilled more gas than with the the new spouts and I bet most on here would agree. I cannot figure out how they became the standard or why a premium version is not offered.

I can put about 6.5 gallons in each Hunsaker and they empty on about 45 seconds. Well worth the money, my hands stay clean, they are easier to hold, I spill much less often, they don't fall over in the trunk, and the quality of the container is superior to current offerings.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2011, 7:40 AM Reply   
I have a few cans that are really really ****ty at pouring too - takes like 4/5 minutes for 5/6 gallons.... I just bought some hose from a hardware store - inset it into the gascan, run the hose to the "gas door" on the boat, squeeze the gascan until the gas reaches the curve down on the hose and let gravity/suction do the rest....
Usually can unload 5/6 gallons in like 15/20 seconds

*I build a little platform off our boat hoist to set the cans to get them higher than the boat's gas tank
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-07-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
DTC- I am riding on Thursday and will try to get a video for you when I fill the boat back up. Not sure what kind of boat you have but I just use a 4-5 ft piece of clear 1" tubing from Lowes. They have two kinds to pick from and I have used the cheaper one thats a little more bendable for 2 years now with no problem what so ever. Last year I bought the more expensive one that is thicker and has some kind of thread in it and it didn't work as good to get a seal. I don't use the piece of pipe Jaime mentioned because the 1" tubing fits easily into my boat filler however my two friends with older boats (2001 SAN and 2002 Xstar) have smaller intakes on their gas fillers so the 1" pipe wouldn't fit down into their fillers. To solve this I bought a one foot piece of 3/4" PVC that fits snugly into the 1" syphon hose and although I haven't tried it yet should fit perfectly down their fillers.

Here is what I did: Go to Lowes or Home Depot and grab one of the cheap red 5 gallon gas cans. Take it over to the plumming section and get the biggest hose you can that will fit inside the gas can(should be 1" I think). The reson for this is the more room the hose takes up going into the can the less you will have to cup with your hand to make a seal. The key to getting a good seal is to put the can in front of you and once inside the gas can, cup the part of the hose that is further away from you around the neck and pull the hose toward you to get a good seal from the tube on the back of the neck as your hand makes the seal on the front of the neck. Then either use your knees or one knee and your other hand to squeze the can and create the syphon. Squeeze the can until the whole tube fills with gas and all the air is out. then you should be able to slowly let pressure off the can and release the seal with your hand and still keep the suction. Don't get discouraged if you don't get it at first. It took me a couple of tries. Also the cans need to be full. If you have 2 gallons in a 5 gallon can you can't get enough of a queeze on it to push 3 gallons of air through before you get to the gas ya know? I hope this all makes sense. I've been meaning to get a video of this up for awhile because it seems to be a well kept secret in the boating industry for some reason.

Here is the tubing that I use:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_19945-104-SV...7C1&facetInfo=

Last edited by ryanw209; 06-07-2011 at 2:39 PM.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-07-2011, 2:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach90 View Post
Jamie or Ryan ...

any chance of you guys posting a photo of your set-ups. Specifically the metal portion you're sticking down into the boat's gas tank filler port.

Thanks guys!
There is a whole article on it in Transworld Wakeboarding April '11 page 100. You maybe able to find the article on their wabsite. I haven't looked
Attached Images

Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-08-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
yeah it was described by shaun murray. so does gas get on your hand when you seal the hole and squeeze?
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-08-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
This is similar tyo what we use at our cabin... http://dev.firstleaf.org/cbtp/services/gas-dock/
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
John- You may get a tiny bit of gas on the side of your hand if you don't get a proper seal but it's no big deal.
Old     (05sante)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-08-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
I keep my boat at a marina and used to bring gas cans to refuel. Recently someone at the marina saw me refueling with gas cans and told me it was illegal. I'm not sure if he just wanted me to use the marina gas station or if its really illegal. Has anyone ever heard of it being illegal to refuel with your own gas cans? I'd really like to use this method since marina gas is almost $1 more per gallon than street pump gas.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-08-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
Instead of sealing and squeezing with your knees there is an easier way. Get the hose in the can and the tank, making sure the can is above the tank for a good siphon. Then you just grab the hose at the can and move it up/down 3-4 inches until it draws over the bend and starts to siphon, no gas goes anywhere but the tank.
Old     (BWB745)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-09-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
I hope this isn’t redundant but, the metal on the hose is the end that goes into the boat right?
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-09-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB745 View Post
I hope this isn’t redundant but, the metal on the hose is the end that goes into the boat right?
Yes
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-09-2011, 11:04 PM Reply   
Heres the video. I had to shoot it with my GoPro since thats all I had. Also I looked at my clear tube and it says it's 1.25"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkAtWlmzN3k

Last edited by ryanw209; 06-09-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-10-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
Thanks Ryan! Sweet set-up. Nice to finally have the weather to enjoy our boats! Safe ridin' & have fun.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-11-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
Thanks man you too!
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-27-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
so i feel pretty inept. i tried doing the siphon today and couldnt get it to work. i have the exact set up as the video. i push on the gascan and get gas to go up fill the hose and down into the tank but as soon as i quit pushing on the gas can it stops. what am i doing wrong? help please.

also im doing this with boat on the trailer but im sitting on the sun pad, so i should be high enough.