Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
Lets talk flip flops/sandals. I'm looking for some new ones. I've pretty much been doing the Reef thing the last such and such years with some Quicksilver's mixed in here and there. What are you guys wearing that spend some serious time in them? Comfort is paramount followed closely by looks (read fashionable). I'd also like to get a decent pair of leather ones this summer too.

Help a brother out
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2012, 1:47 PM Reply   
Rainbows?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-22-2012, 1:47 PM Reply   
Reef & Rainbow sandals. Spend lots of time (hours each day) in them. I hated thong sandals/flip flops before spending the extra money on these 2 brands.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-22-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
Olukai Ohana, never buying another pair of Reefs after owning 2 pairs of these. They are so much more comfortable than Reefs. They also have a leather collection.

http://www.olukai.com/Product_MensMa...0110-9799.aspx

Last edited by pierce_bronkite; 05-22-2012 at 2:20 PM.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-22-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
I cant even pronounce those damn things lol

Are they light? They look a little heavier than what Im accustomed to
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-22-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post

I have never noticed a difference in weight compared to other brands.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-22-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
I really like Sole.

http://www.yoursole.com/us/footwear/
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-22-2012, 2:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce_bronkite View Post
Olukai Ohana, never buying another pair of Reefs after owning 2 pairs of these. They are so much more comfortable than Reefs. They also have a leather collection.

http://www.olukai.com/Product_MensMa...0110-9799.aspx
I got a pair of those last year and REALLY like them. Only downside is that if you are using them near the water or with wet feet, the footbed holds some moisture as opposed to the all rubber ones like reef. they are now my city flops.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2012, 3:50 PM Reply   
The one and only thing I will buy from American Eagle. Their cheap sandals!
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-22-2012, 5:30 PM Reply   
You pay $65 for Flip Flops? Flip flops!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-22-2012, 6:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmy79 View Post
You pay $65 for Flip Flops? Flip flops!
Yes bc...1. I cant stand things between my toes, so I have to find the most comfortable ones I can find to even make them feasible 2. Ive had these reefs for 3 yrs and their still in great shape, saves me trips from visiting with the yahoos at the mall at old navy or with the teenagers at AE (nothing against the poster above

People pay $150 for sneakers, why cant people pay $60 for sandals?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-22-2012, 7:26 PM Reply   
Rainbow sandals. Hands down the best flip flop I've owned.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2012, 7:47 PM Reply   
I've spent over $300 on golf shies this year and I'll use those a lot less than a few good pairs of sandals. Hell we all go out and spend $60-70 bucks on dinner and some cocktails. If I spend a little coin on some sandals I can get a few years out of and lots of use its all good
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-22-2012, 8:07 PM Reply   
Reefs suck, they fall apart in a summer, just like their shoes/wakeskate shoes. Pretty garbage product.

Bought a pair of sole footwear halfway through last summer, and they are already ripped and destroyed, pretty unreliable product for a 55$ pair of sandals.

Rainbows are nice, but my knees are horrible and they don't quite have enough arch support for me.

So, I guess that means I am still in the hunt for a good brand too. Will check out the Olukai Ohana, would like to spend 70$ on a pair of sandals that can actually last more than a summer, especially because my summer is 4 months in the NE.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-22-2012, 8:52 PM Reply   
If your going the Rainbow route, get the hemp ones. Far superior to the leather ones.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-22-2012, 8:53 PM Reply   
2nd the Olukai's. I've got two pair. One I bought from the above website. Another was a leather pair that I got on sale at Nordstrom's for $50. I like the ones from the website better. They're more comfortable, and the leather ones tend to slide around a bit more on your feet. I would recommend getting the exact color/style from the website so you have exactly what you want. I b ought my wife a pair as well, which she said are the nicest flip flops she's ever had (great gift idea for the future).

I wish I knew about decent flip flops all those previous years of walking around on cheap $5 to 10 pairs that dig in between your toes.

I've also got a few pair of reefs. It's best if you can try them on before wearing them. A couple pairs I got at Costco - one with the bottle opener on the bottom, and they're not as soft or comfortable as a pair I got at an outlet years ago. I still wear that old pair most of the time when camping/boating although the covering has started to tear off the top. My point is, even within the same brand they vary quite a bit as far as comfort.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-22-2012, 10:26 PM Reply   
I just got a pair of Honu sandals. They are just getting into the wakeboarding industry and have Parks, Ruck, Dallas and Tarah riding for them. Pretty comfortable so far and they advertise with us, so they are supporting your WakeWorld addiction!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-23-2012, 12:05 AM Reply   
Sanuk

Check out the yoga mat sandals, super comfy but not that great in water as they sponge up the water. When I am going in the water I use my Oakley sandals. I have about 8 pairs of different sandals and like the Oakleys and Sanuks best. I also like the vans sandal shoes.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-23-2012, 1:00 AM Reply   
Go get some of these while you still can......they are amazing...
http://www.surffanatics.com/cat/pro/...FY4FRQodIU1R3A

Reef vision
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-23-2012, 6:15 AM Reply   
Rainbows for sure. The hemp ones are comfortable, but they won't last, they will fray pretty quickly and easily, i've had rainbows for the past 10 years, you won't think they are too comfy when you first put them on, but they will basically mold to your foot, and they will last forever. I have an old pair that i use for if i'm around the boat, bc you really don't want to get your "nice" new ones wet. But they'll last a long time. if you get them wet and let them dry they will kind of shrink up (bc its leather). but just keep wearing them and they'll fall back out. Best sandals i've ever had by far. I have a pair of reef leather ones that someone gave me over christmas, they are comfy too, but i don't see them as lasting as long as my rainbows. the materials just aren't made for the long haul IMO.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
So I landed on a black pair of Rainbows and a little something off the radar. Ocean Minded Scorpions by Crocs. Now these look nothing like anything resembling a Croc's. Sorry if you love your crocks but I despise them. Anyway, they are very comfortable and look versatile enough to wear in the water as well as out. I was gonna buy a pair of the Olukai and still will just couldn't locate them.

Thanks fellas
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-23-2012, 4:07 PM Reply   
Still a fan of the reef fannings. Have had three pairs since they first came out, like 8 years ago. Tried a pair of sanuks in between my reefs, based on everyones glowing reviews, and they broke apart in less than 2 months. Plus, they hold moisture and foam up when wet. If you like reefs, check out 6pm.com or shoes.com for deals. My last pair i bought were less than $20. I will not pay $60++ for flip flops!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-23-2012, 4:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
I just got a pair of Honu sandals. They are just getting into the wakeboarding industry and have Parks, Ruck, Dallas and Tarah riding for them. Pretty comfortable so far and they advertise with us, so they are supporting your WakeWorld addiction!
Dave- any idea how these will hold up? All for supporting a group within the industry, but not trying to spend good dough on a pair of bad sandals again.
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-23-2012, 4:51 PM Reply   
you can find Olukai's at zappos. Didn't think I would pay that much for a pair of thongs (that's right bringing "thong" back) but my feet feel great in them. Sanuks were good but all day in them hurt my knee and feet. Olukai's are like wearing shoes. And they last as long as a pair of my regular shoes.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-25-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
i'm in the hunt for a new pair too.. I've had several reefs and rainbows. At this point, I'm more interested in buying a quality pair not made with slave labor and preferably made in the USA.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-27-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post

Looks like from the Zappos site the OluKai Kai'I's are 8oz vs Reef Mick Fanning's at 7oz....don't think you'd notice the 12% weight difference being 1oz.

Count me in the club that will pay for flip-flops.... They are all that I wear in the Spring/Summer/Fall, it is an investment in my feet....
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-27-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
Moose says "RAINBOWS" nothing But since 1974 no need to be said
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-30-2012, 7:44 AM Reply   
I have had countless pairs of Reefs over the years and always like them. I tried a pair of Rainbows a few years back and after the initial breakin period they ended up being pretty comfortable. I really like a pair of Quiksilvers I have had for the last couple of years. Very comfortable and have held up nicely.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-30-2012, 11:15 AM Reply   
Reef Pimptastics. Best sandal ive ever owned. Rainbows are good too but they take a while to get used to and broken in. If you find pimptastics anywhere let me know. ill grab another pair.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-30-2012, 1:12 PM Reply   
Olukai, simply the best!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2012, 5:07 PM Reply   
Just got a pair of freewaters for cheap off theclymb.com (if you need an invitation let me know). So far I am happy, although I wish I snagged a pair of the more expensive ones before they sold out. Big on the arch support, which is something that is great for an all-day sandal
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2012, 6:18 PM Reply   
On a sidenote, although they are comfy, the fake leather thong strap feels great, but the sole and the foot liner feel/look cheap. Will be interesting to see how they hold up, but if they last a summer I would be happy considering I paid 25$ish shipped and they are made from recycled material.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-16-2012, 4:36 PM Reply   
Teva
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2012, 5:08 PM Reply   
Reef vision if you can find them. Best I have ever worn but they aren't making them this year. Some places still have them. Super light and super comfy.