Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
So here is the deal, I got a Big Block Chevy, 700hp Drag boat engine, I'm going to put it in my pick-up. So I have all the Marine stuff off of it like a cam driven water pump, oil cooler and a 12 qt oil pan. I know this stuff is worth some money but I can't seem to find anybody looking for it. I have tried more than one v-drive forum's classifieds. And when I search ebay there is nothing like any of the stuff I have. I can find the parts online brand new, The water pump alone if 500 bucks.

So my question is If I put something on EBay does it cost me if it doesn't sell?

Also if anybody knows some one that is looking for stuff like this let me know, cause I would like to pay for some of my parts with the sale of these.B
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-02-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Ya, if you list something on ebay and it doesn't sell, you will still have to pay some fee's. However they give you the option to relist it one time if it doesn't sell. If it does sell the second time around, you only owe one set of fee's. If it doesn't sell, you owe them for both.

Have you tried any of the hotboat forums? I bet you could move that stuff pretty quick on the dragboat and hotboat forums.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-02-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
That type of stuff is on ebay constantly. Just search "v-drive" on either active or completed auctions. There are usually about 100 active auction whenever I look. It's probably not worth as much as you think unless it's some sort of rare item, probably 20-35% of current retail. If it didn't sell on one of the v-drive forums you were probably asking way too much. I'd be interested in the oil cooler if you could send me a picture of it.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
No I assumed that I would get about 30%, I'll get a pic of the oil cooler for you tonight.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-02-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
I want to see a picture of the truck when you're done!
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Oh it will be a while, If its done by next fall it will be an act of god. I want to do it right
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-02-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
AL, how did one achieve this 700HP from a BB chevy?
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-02-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
Hotboat forums are toast, hardly anyone uses them since the changeover. Try here instead http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/

I have always and still do own a Jet Boat so I still keep in the loop on allot of the high performance stuff. Allot of guys buy/sell V-drive/Jet Boat stuff on Craigslist and ive had good luck selling it on Ebay. Just suck with shipping on the heavier items.

Oh and 700hp from a BB Chevy is easy.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-02-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
I was right around 650hp with the 468 I had in my old day cruiser.

UploadUpload
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
Nate, like Bryan said, its not that hard, 12:1 comp, huge cam, dart highrise, holley 950 some minor head work. And bingo there you go. It actually might have more when I'm done, I've done a few things to it since I got it. Its a pretty trick motor inside. I can't wait to fire it up in a truck, it has an 8000 red line. I love the smell of race gas in a street car.

Bryan nice boat, I built a late 60's flaty a few years ago with 440 in it for my best friends family, man that boat was fun.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-02-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
There is no listing fee for standard auctions on small items on ebay. Only pay if it sells.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Thanks George!!! Small meaning Price if guess, Right? do you know what the price it has to stay under is.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-02-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
Al, the fees are really small like a buck or two for standard items on ebay.

My buddie owns newtech performance in Hayward if you need a dyno tune once you get it all together. I can get you the number.

I'm not trying to say you are wrong or right but unless this is a 572 block with some wicked heads I don't see 700HP i've seen alot of bb guys strap onto the dyno and have surprisingly low numbers this includes the large cams and high rise intakes. But an 8k rideline in a bb does sound interesting who built the motor?
Old     (dragginby)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
Al- try racingjunk.com. They have all kinds of stuff there.

A BB with 700hp is simple to get. Good compression, solid roller, a good set of heads, and matching intake. I got a small block with 602hp and thats at only 6300rpm. I could squeeze another 50-75hp before I need to switch over to an 18* head.
Al if you want to dyno your motor before you put it in, Bob Wirth R&D in Hayward will dyno it tune it for $600. I did it so I know what happens when I change my timing etc.
Your truck will be sick!
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
Thanks, Guys. Yeah I hope so Ronnie, Thanks for all the info you have been sending the last few weeks. Gonna be a fun winter, this was a good reason to sell the dirt bike.

Nate, Not trying to say your wrong. I guess we'll see when I get in in and tuned. BB power is easy to get, once you get over 1000 things become increasingly difficult, My bro has a full roller street small block with 550hp and it almost runs on straight pump gas.
Mines a solid race motor, should be fairly stout, But like I said you could be right.

Ronnie, you going to Goodguys in Nov. I'm hoping to take my truck in its current state with the new motor and my bros Chevelle, want to roll.

AL
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-02-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
BB Chevy and 700HP is easy

I would also try Racingjunk or maybe yellowbullet for stuff that can be used in automotive apps.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
I hope you don't plan on using that truck to tow your boat around......

As far as Ebay fees: They have a bunch of fees to get an item listed and then if it sells they charge a percentage of the sales price.

The "insertion fee" is where they nickel and dime you to death. The base fee is based on the starting price, if you make it 99 cents the fee is only 15 cents. But then they charge a bit more to include a second picture, another charge to have the listing appear in bold, etc.

So it can end up costing a couple of dollars to list it and then something around 4% of the sales price (if it sells).

Rod
Old     (dragginby)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
Al, as long as it is not raining I'm down to go. My burban doesn't have windshield wipers, and after the last show I broke my window regulator on my door. I'm too lazy to fix it!
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
Dude we don't even have side windows in our cars, No rain for us!!!!!

Talk to about it when it gets closer.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-02-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
Allen,

I have had good luck with

www.dragboats.com
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-02-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
Al will be there, The Good Guys sponsers my fathers friends Willy's Steve Castelli.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
Man we should all meet up that weekend and have a few beers. Now if we only knew someone that could get us some GOOD beer..
Old     (deltamud)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-02-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
There is a guy in Livermore putting together a swap meet for these kinds of parts. His name is Tom Weaver, (510) 667-0857. Maybe this will help. I read this on Dragboat racing . com
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-02-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
After you sell your v-drive parts you can buy one of those pick-up truck bed bladders to add some weight to the back. You will most likely never be able to hook 700 hp to the ground in a pick- up. But if you like a challenge, and being sideways regularly, you're set!

(Message edited by wake upppp on October 02, 2008)
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
thanks Joe, I will call him.

Jay, thats half the fun, don't need to go fast just fun to know you can.
Old     (dragginby)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-03-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
Who needs a truck to hook....It is alot funner to burn the tires! I love leaving my signature on the streets. It probably doesn't help that I have line lock too... How cool is it to see this smoking the tires all the way down the street! Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-03-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
put some slicks on the ass end!
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-06-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
John,
Here are the pics of the cooler and the pump
Upload
Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
TUB IT!!!!