Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-05-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
Well today i am borrowing one of my friends wakesurf boards and ropes. Unfortunatly he can't go with us out to the lake today so i am going to try to learn to wakesurf without anyone on my boat who has done it before. I was hoping i can get some tips before i go. I am a decent wakeboarder and a decent wakeskater. Do you get up like you do on a wakeskate? How fast do you normally drive? I understand that you do a slight turn while driving the boat. Is that right? Also do you make everone in the boat go to one side? The wakesuft is a 5'7" board. Not sure on the brand but is that to short? Any comments would be much appreciated. thanks Josh
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-05-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
i use a 4'4" or a 4'9" and yes u do start like a wakeskate, i ride at about 12 mph
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-05-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
Yes everybody on one side and in the back. Might want to try putting 200 or 300 pounds up front once you get the hang of it to lengthen the pocket.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-05-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
see the wakesurfing thread for some pics
Old    sealyon.net            05-05-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
I watched a CWB dvd and they sat on the board much like you would do a surf board with their feet up though until the boat was up and moving, and then they stood up. Good luck.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-05-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
I usually do it behing a boat!

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-05-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
Yes, get up on the board like a wakeskate.

Speed about 10 mph.

Ballast the surf side of the boat.

Don't need to turn in a circle but a slight turn, not too much, can help.

As above, don't forget to put some weight up front.

5'7" should be plenty for most riders.

See the wakesurf forum.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-05-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
3 years ago (i just started wakeboarding late last year), i tried getting up on a wakeboard 4 times on my neighbors 04 X2 and wasn't able too

got up 2nd time on the surf, i remember them telling me to stay like the wakeboard, except keep my ankles on the edge, and when i feel it start o pull, pull my ankles down and the board will come over my feet and then i'll be pulled up

it must have worked :-)
Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-06-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the help. Went out for the first time and loved it. I didn't have the wakesurfing rope so i had a hard time finding how long to make the rope. I also had a hard time setting up the boat to get a good surf wake. Besides that i thought it was alot of fun. Now i want to buy one. Is 5'7" board to long? Should i be riding one like ryan mentioned 4'4"-4'9"? Thanks Josh
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-06-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
Board size depends on your skill level, your weight, and the size and quality of your wake. I’m relatively big at 220 pounds and have been able to ride every wakesurf board I’ve had in the boat, including a tiny Trick Boardz Velocity. However, the quality of the ride is very different if the board is small. I’d like to think that I’ve dialed in my wake and have a lot push to help me ride smaller boards. After a wakesurfers learns how to control speed and pump they can generally ride smaller boards than the ones they learned on.

Riding interests dictate the style of board; surf or skim. Surf style boards like the Inland Surfer Blue, any Shred Stixx board, and the Walker project F-18 or Bullet are excellent examples of surf style boards. If you have one of these boards you’ll start to learn how to carve the wake and should be able to boost some air.

Skim boards like the Inland Surfer 4Skim, maybe the IS Yellow, Walker Project Composite X, Walzer, Trick Boardz and so on should be easier for you to do surface 3s. Some of these boards should Ollie pretty well too.

So give us a little more information and maybe some of us can help steer your search or at least make informed suggestions.

(Message edited by Bigshow on May 06, 2007)