Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       04-27-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
Ok so i guess i'm finally done with the stereo in my 08VLX, Expect for powering it all

Here's what i have right now:

Wetsounds WS420
2 JL HD600/4
2 JL HD750/1
8 Alpine Type R 6.5s
4 Pro60s
10w7 sealed under the Dash
Digital Designs 3515 ported in the rear locker

My last boat had 8 optima blue tops, but i don't have near the room for that this time and I'm going to try to minimize the amount of space i have to give up, expecially since i'm giving up over half of one of my rear lockers for the 15, and i don't want to do anything crazy custom because i want to be able to take most of it out when its time for a new boat this winter. I'm thinking leaving one of the factory batteries in and adding 2 Knetik HC2400s

any ideas or suggestions, where are you guys putting your batteries to get them out of the way, but keep them close enough to the amps to keep from loosing voltage
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-27-2010, 5:30 PM Reply   
How about a few Deka Sea Mate group 31 batteries? They are 105Ah and compared to others, they are priced well.

Last edited by you_da_man; 04-27-2010 at 5:32 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-27-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
Clean, sound connections and proper cable size, and voltage drop will not be an issue.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-28-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
I would look at Deka Sea Mate's as the best bang for your buck with AGM batteries. IMO, Kinetik's are overpriced for what you get and the customer/tech support is awful. You can do some checking on the forum to attest to that.

If you wanted to step up from the Sea Mate's you could take a look at LifeLine AGM's (Pricey). There is also the golf cart 6v's in series option.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       04-28-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
The biggest reason I was looking at Kinetiks is because they offer a load of capacity for their size, the DEKAs are quite a bit larger than the Kinetiks and i'm not wanting to give up the space
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-28-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Ryan, I went with 7 yellowtops, I had the room.... So I'm not nuch help

How does the 750/1 push that 10w7? I'm curious I'm building a box right now for 2 10w7s under the dash with 2 mhd750/1 pushing them... Post up some pics Bro...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-28-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
I'm with TM it doesn't matter where you put them so long as you have the proper cabling for them and the runs. You have very efficient amps so that should ease your mind as well. That said mine are in my rear lockers. I have one in each but mine are huge and there isn't any where else I can put them. They're 11x21x10 before their battery boxes. They weigh 170lbs each so they're like extra ballast

By the way nice system!
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       04-28-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
Matt, the JL amps are awesome, and the HD750 is prefect for the 10. before i put the 15 in my boat no one could believe i only had one 10. I'll snap a few pics tonight

Hate what batteres are you running/?
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-04-2010, 9:08 PM Reply   
Take a look at the XS series batteries also, they are very reasonably priced.

I'm interested in your impressions on that DD 9515... I'm considering killing one of my 15L7's and going with a 9512. I have a PDX1.1000 to power it.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
Mine is the 3515, its really hard to judge it as far as loudness goes because it is in one of the rear lockers... i'm trying to figure out a way to get more of the sound out into the boat... but you can definatly feel it, if shakes everything in the boat and definatly makes water splash

i've heard a couple of x stars with the 3515 in the passenger seat storage with the PDX1000 on them and they are definatly loud
Old     (dellagucci)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-05-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
i got 2 brandnew kinetik 2400s for $520 otd thats pretty cheap
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-05-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Sorry Ryan I just saw that you had asked a question regarding my batteries. I use Lifeline 8D's one in each locker. We are in the process of trying to recess them into the floor right now.

http://www.batteryout.com/products/4489880

255 AH each!
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
Stephen, is that price shipped?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-05-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_smith View Post
I would look at Deka Sea Mate's as the best bang for your buck with AGM batteries. IMO, Kinetik's are overpriced for what you get and the customer/tech support is awful. You can do some checking on the forum to attest to that.

If you wanted to step up from the Sea Mate's you could take a look at LifeLine AGM's (Pricey). There is also the golf cart 6v's in series option.
I called them a couple of times and they seemed to have pretty good support for me. I actually took my KHC 2000 and hooked it up to an inverter and ran a blow dryer for a few hours while measuring the voltage drop. Then did the same thing with my existing interstate lead acid battery. The Kinetik stayed above 12 volts for about 40% longer, FWIW. I got mine off ebay for $100. Then they realized that was a steal and increased it to 199$.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-06-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Sorry Ryan I just saw that you had asked a question regarding my batteries. I use Lifeline 8D's one in each locker. We are in the process of trying to recess them into the floor right now.

http://www.batteryout.com/products/4489880

255 AH each!
Did you order from them? I wouldnt mind buying two of those, but man the freight shipping would be insane
Old     (dellagucci)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-06-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
naw i went to audio design in san jose they hooked me up.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
I ordered 2 HC2400s this morning, Hopefully 2 will be enough and i won't have to go with 3-4

now the question is where to put them... i want to get all the batteries out of the passenger seat storage, so i can actually use it for storage.

any ideas where to put them, my 3515 is in the drivers side rear locker so that is out of the picture, i thought about putting them in the passenger side rear locker but it seems we've always got more weight on that side with all the people and their stuff so i wont' want to compound that problem with another 120 lbs

i also thought about moving the sub to the passenger side and putting the batteries in the drivers side rear locker, but that just means running more power cable and i also wouldn't be able to use that locker for weight when we surf

this is getting way more complicated that it should be lol
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-07-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
In my experience, the 2 2400's will not cut it like your old optima setup did. If it's not too late, I'd seriously consider looking at the XS D3100's. not much more on the price side, and CONSIDERABLE jump in AH. FWIW, a buddy with a supra and about 1500w RMS with two 2400's has trouble playing for more than 4 hours w/o starting his boat. I've had to jump him several times.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-07-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
too lake, I've already got the 2 HC2400s on the way, I'm a little worried now though

Matt, when are you going to bring that supra down to Tenkiller? you, me, and jmuck all linked up would be insane to say the least
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-07-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
UNvisible: Have to disagree with you there. I have 3200 RMS running off 4 2400s, and I can play for 4 hours and start me boat after that, then come back the next day and atleast run another 2 hours off them before the amps start seeing low voltage, andeven at that point I can still start me engine.

If you buddy is running that wattage and can only hold for 2 hours then he needs to:
A- Make sure he charges with onboard charge between use to insure a complete charge.
B- Make sure he does not have a bad cell
C- Make sure the wire gauge is enough to handle the load of charge and draw over the distance they are running.

I have been running my batteries for 3 summers now and could not be happier at this point, I have not noticed a loss in playing time over the 3 years.

FullRiver also make a comp sized battery with the same Ah rating, for a bit of savings. Not saying Kinetiks are the best, not sure there is a "Best"battery since most are made in the same factories with very similar designs.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-07-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
Holy hell! I never knew people were putting 4,7, and 8 batteries in one wakeboard boat! Why is that necessary? Thats seems like some serious dough and space to be dropping on batteries. We have 1700 W RMS and play music for hours and never have a problem starting our boat. The batteries (we have two, I thought that was a luxury) are several years old and are no optimas...just some average car batteries.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-07-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfadam View Post
Holy hell! I never knew people were putting 4,7, and 8 batteries in one wakeboard boat! Why is that necessary? Thats seems like some serious dough and space to be dropping on batteries. We have 1700 W RMS and play music for hours and never have a problem starting our boat. The batteries (we have two, I thought that was a luxury) are several years old and are no optimas...just some average car batteries.
I think it's all relative. Your 1700w RMS might not be the same as someone else's.. Also your system might not be as efficient. People are putting batteries in at the same rate they are spending money else where in their system. 8 is a bit over kill. The only boat i've seen in person with 8 was a X45 with 8 Kinetik 2400's, and about 12000w RMS of Alpine PDX's with 8 13W7's and a wet sounds 3 some and 2 more 485's. Like I said, it's all relative.

Johnny - We'll have to see how the original poster fairs with his pair of kinetiks. I know I plan on ripping out half my optima yellows and getting 4 2400's to compliment 2 more optima yellow tops (separate banks obviously) for my 3800W PDX system. I hope that they end up being enough.
Old     (jpods22)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-07-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
One battery strictly for boat........One deep cycle battery for 2 amps........(1 amp for Subwoofer, 1 amp for tower speakers).....I wouldnt bother with a 15" sub. I have one 12" solo baric under the cock pit.....both batteries are right next to each other side by side right under the cd player deck....I have a nice big circular switch to control power to 1 amp or the other , or both on, both off. my interior 6.5's I did not bother with amp, they run just fine under CD player. keep the back rear lockers strictly for ballast. my opinion
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-07-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpods22 View Post
One battery strictly for boat........One deep cycle battery for 2 amps........(1 amp for Subwoofer, 1 amp for tower speakers).....I wouldnt bother with a 15" sub. I have one 12" solo baric under the cock pit.....both batteries are right next to each other side by side right under the cd player deck....I have a nice big circular switch to control power to 1 amp or the other , or both on, both off. my interior 6.5's I did not bother with amp, they run just fine under CD player. keep the back rear lockers strictly for ballast. my opinion
I think you have quite a bit different goal than some of us when designing a boat system.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-07-2010, 5:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfadam View Post
1700 W is not a big system in today's world. I don't have that big of a system but I got some good amps pushing over 3000W RMS and only 1 sub a 13w7 and can kill 4 kinetic 2400's within 2 hours if I really wanted too. If I keep the sub turned down I can get 2 couple more hours out of them.

boats I've seen with big systems pretty much have there whole boat full of batteries. and stereo equipment.

Last edited by jv210; 05-07-2010 at 5:39 PM.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-07-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
I use 2 Stinger SP1500D's to power the 4 Wet Sounds amps in my boat: (2) Syn1's, (1) Syn4, and (1) Syn6. I play the stereo pretty hard and hardly ever let the boat run for long. No problem with holding a charge over a whole weekend, and sometimes even 2 weekends before recharging.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-08-2010, 6:52 AM Reply   
Ryan as soon as it warms up ill get down there... You can bet on that...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
With batteries is can almost be simplified right down to the weight of the battery. If somebody tells me a Deka, Stinger, XS, Kinetik, or other battery weighing less than battery B will last longer I will usually call BS.

I run 130lbs of Kinetik batteries on my 3000 watt system. It lasts about 3 hours if the batteries were fully charged and I am pushing the system hard (parked, no charging going on). My system ran about the same when I had 130lbs of golf cart batteries.

Got lead??? That's what it is all about.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-08-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
Wow Mikeski thats my home security motto also... Got Lead??? That's what it is all about.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-08-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
i was hopeing to get more play time than that out of those 2 Kinetiks... i guess its time to invest in a generator!! lol
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-08-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
Mikeski, talk about KISS...I love it! So I have 324lbs of batteries and 3800 watts sounds like about 6-7 hours of pure pain.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
Hate, I am jealous of all that battery power you have. IMO Lifelines are at the top of the list if we are splitting hairs, definitely above my Kinetiks. Those 8D's are just rediculous, I can't believe you run 2 of them, you even have Grant beat when it comes to battery reserve.

What's your charging regimen? To charge those correctly you need some serious amperage. I don't know of an off the shelf charger that would do those justice. I hope you charge them individually.

Matt, that's funny...
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
Speaking of chargers.... What are you guys using to charge a bank of 4 kinetik 2400's or similar?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-08-2010, 4:26 PM Reply   
Mikeski, this is my first season on them so we're still sorting that out. We installed them but never ran them over the winter but now we are reinstalling them as we speak along with doing an onboard charger. My friend that along side me does most of my projects is an electrical tech on yachts so he has some calculations to do. We want to determine what it will take to beat these down and then bring them back up in an overnight charge situation. I've never had an occasion where I have been apart from a 110 for more than a day nor do I usually use my boat back to back where we just rage for hours. I'm looking at Charles Industries and Xantrex right now. Xantrex True Charge 2 60 amp is the likely candidate.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
I just picked up a Schumacher 12000a 40A to charge my two Kinetik 2400s
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
Mikeski -

With the 12000A do you plan to charge each kinetik individually or while connected in a "bank" ?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-08-2010, 9:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeski View Post
I just picked up a Schumacher 12000a 40A to charge my two Kinetik 2400s
So you will just connect it with the clips whenever you need to charge it up?

Why not an onboard charger?
Old     (bingbing)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-09-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
I will add one more to the mix Northstar. I run G-3100 to stereo (3800 watts) and G-2700 to the boat. I have an on board charger, plug it and you have no worries. I have had this set up for three seasons.
http://www.northstarbattery.com/data...B%20G-3100.pdf
http://www.northstarbattery.com/engine_start.php
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-09-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltigeguy View Post
So you will just connect it with the clips whenever you need to charge it up?

Why not an onboard charger?
1. weight
2. $

In addition to wakeboarding I still slalom and barefoot so I try to keep my static load as light as possible.

I can get good bang for the buck with this little charger. I charge both together, still experimenting on the routine, but it works much better than the 15A West Marine unit is replaces.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-10-2010, 5:55 AM Reply   
what battery boxes are you guys putting your 2400s in? i really don't like the idea of having them in a battery box due to all the extra space they take up but with them being in the rear lockers i also don't want to have the terminals exposed... any ideas for something other than the standard black box lol
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-10-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
I'm putting 2 3100's from xspowerbatteries in my 2010 230. I'll be pushing 2 syn 4's and 1 syn1 - not to mention neon, an eq, etc... Hopefully, they work out for me.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-10-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
3100's are awesome batts, wiht only 3 amps, you shouldnt have a problem with them.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/user/JJYourBo.../0/qKblqs99vGA
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-16-2010, 10:49 PM Reply   
4 US2200 golfcart batteries $300. Would take 6 or more optimas to do the same and they are so much easier to charge.