Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-05-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Just got a text from Kyle that he stuck a clean back 9 this afternoon. It's on film too, so I am sure that will pop up here soon!

Crazy cuz when I talked to him last night he said he has been getting super close on Back 10's and that he thought he would land a Back 9 real soon because he would just come out short on a 10 attempt.

Congrats man!!! Hope we can get the 10 this weekend when you are home!!!
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-05-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
Yeah Kyle!!!!
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-05-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
get that video up soon I dont wanna study for exams!
Old     (bbsxkills)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-05-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
^^^ hahaha agreed.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-05-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
Do work man!! that's awesome
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-05-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
Here's the vid... word

from Spencer Norris on Vimeo.

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-05-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
wraped that one up didn't he!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-05-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Nice Kyle, doing work!! Nice camera work Spencer.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-06-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
So pumped for Kyle and the wakeboardNEBRASKA crew. Congrats!!!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-06-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
sick trick but definitely not getting the "WOW" factor out of me. if it were handle passed, i would have "WOW'd" it but wrapped for a 9 even it is backside isn't too exciting. The whole stigma behind the difficulty of a back 9 is the extra handle pass you have to make compared to the other 9s. I'd say the w2w heel 9s the guys are throwing now are 10x harder than a wrapped bs 9. This will probably start a war but whatever, that's what the internet is for.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
nice work Kyle! Congrats buddy. Hope all is well.

Jarrod
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-06-2010, 11:51 PM Reply   
Not starting a war I just disagree.

a. There are now only 3 guys in the world that can bs 9 (wrapped) and only one of those guys has it w2w.

at least 5 guys I can think of can do w2w heel 9s Marsh, Rathy, Hutton, Harley, Lariche, ect. have all done w2w heelside 9s. I don't know who, but I know its been done in competition.

b. If the w2w heel 9 was more difficult, I would think Rathy would have had it as a submission for move of the year instead of his wrapped bs 9.

I personally think a wrapped grabbed bs 3 is more difficult than a handlepass bs 3, but these are just my opinions

but back to the subject... WOW!!!
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-07-2010, 12:04 AM Reply   
Kyle post up vids of you hitting wrapped back 9s or don't act like you have any idea how hard they are. Much respect if you can do them though.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-07-2010, 3:18 AM Reply   
Gangstar, I'm not a pro Wakeboarder. Fortunately it isn't my job to go out and have to learn tricks like a back 9 or 10s and deal with consequences of them. I will tell you that my bag of tricks is pretty deep however. There is a reason this thread doesn't have as many post as the 10 threads because people on here felt the same way as me. They clicked the thread, saw the trick, and went over to the 1080 thread to post. Whether this was subconscious or not, it is the case. I think it's great he landed that trick. It just would have gotten much more love if it were handle passed.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-07-2010, 3:22 AM Reply   
And John, think how much faster you can spin when it is wrapped compared to passed. With bs spins there is a little delay when you pass the handle but there is no delay when you wrap it which is what makes bs 5s hard with the rotation, you get stuck.
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-07-2010, 4:34 AM Reply   
I normally don't post about these "new trick" videos... I'm curious if anyone else feels the way I do. This is the very first "spin as fast as you can" type trick that has an ounce of style. I'm not hating on anyone that has stomped a 10 or double roll, just saying that this back 9 looks good. Is anyone else doing bs 9's, wrapped or not? Thanks,
Old     (bradmo42)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-07-2010, 6:09 AM Reply   
hey kyle just to throw off your whole worthless argument that no one is going to support: have you ever hit a dub... wrapped.....and then spun backside?

ok, once you finally get TO the dub, get BOOSTED off the dub, and get your first spin off right, then maybe you have more speed going into the rest of the spin. But you have to get there under control and maintain that first spin.

not saying its impossible, its just every bit as legit as the fs 10s that are getting thrown down.

show a little respect for someone that has more than "a pretty deep bag of tricks"

**sicknasty on the bs 9 alberts
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
Ok w2w hs 9 is done by alot of different people guys not just 5, like up and coming kids few people have heard of have a w2w hs 9 under their belt off the top of my head of people I have seen stick it, your missing Tino Santori, Andrew Adkinson, Tom Fooshee, Nick Davies, Danny Harf, Both of the Soven Brothers, Parks did them back in the day, the list goes on and on, SO i respectfully have to disagree that the w2w hs 9 is no where close to a bs 9 wrapped or not.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Oh yea and congrats Kyle
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-07-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
Awesome for him! Now just add another 180 and you'll catch up to Rathy. :-)
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-07-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
sick love the celebration
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-07-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Brian, I just don't think people are trying wrapped hs bs 9s off the wake. Wrapped tricks just became en vogue this past season or so and guys are more concerned with getting a 10 under their belt (as it is soon to turn into the new toe 9 and will be mandatory to win a contest in a year or so) before trying wrapped back 9s.

Abner, first off I said it was a sick trick. I just said I was not "WOW'd" by it. Secondly, I wouldn't be able to even count how many double ups i have hit since i started wakeboarding 11 years ago, and no I have not tried a wrapped bs spin off the double up soley because I do not wrap up to spin. Unless you count wrapped kgbs off the double up but I haven't done that trick thankfully for many years as it is a sure ticket to get you thrown out of the boat lol. I can tell you that it is MUCH easier to spin a wrapped KGB than a handle pass KGB. Maybe it is hard for you to spin wrapped bs off a double up but it is easier for a pro. It allows him to not have to think about the first handle pass and just think about spinning as fast as he can. I can assure you he isn't concerned with wrapping up and getting bucked off axis and being in less control mainly because if he does go a little off axis, so what? My argument is Rusty's handle pass bs 9 was 10x harder than this wrapped bs 9. My question for you is, have you ever spun bs off a double up with a handle pass? You can't cheat it, you have to wait for your pop, definitely longer than you would for a frontside spin which is what makes a bs 10 so much harder than a fs 10. Their is simply less time.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Kyle, I will agree with you that when I watched I wasn't like Holy **** like I did with Harleys 10 or Dean Hoochie BS3 or others, but I am saying a w2w hs 9 is definitely easier than a wrapped bs9 no matter if your wrapped or not. It is the same amount of rotations as a hs 9 and you have to land blind. You just have to huck a hs 9. And I agree that more people are focused on the 10 right now so wrapped bs 9's and 10's aren't getting the same attention as a fs 10, but everyone is wrapping up these days so its not like people arent trying wrapped bs spins these days. That being said I feel like this trick could become a stock trick well before a 10 could. And I also i don't think anyone here would argue that rusty's back 9 handle pass wasn't harder than a Wrapped BS9
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-07-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
I hope progressive videos like this continue to be posted, as well as videos in general, instead of not because people get tired of the criticism that has come to be expected whenever a video is posted. I know it's a forum, but there's a certain extent to take it. This is a thread about someone hitting a trick, not what people find clean, legit, or want to argue about.

That said, I get the excitement and it is due, but at first I thought the celebration was a joke being it was mockingly similar to that of the 1260. I now see it is not, and am happy more and more people are landing crazy stuff.

backside wrapped tricks, double up or not, will pull you out the front like no other. double up almost makes it worse. Cool stuff
Old    tcaseymcclure            05-07-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
HAHA so sick... the dive off the back of the boat after he stomped it was sick too hahaha
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-07-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
I think someone pissed in Kyle's cheerios.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-07-2010, 10:28 PM Reply   
Kyle L:
Quote:
and no I have not tried a wrapped bs spin off the double up
Yet you know how hard they are? You must be one bad mother
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-07-2010, 10:45 PM Reply   
To each their own. I can see your reasoning for thinking Rusty's bs 9 was more difficult... but I personally think getting a grab in their is more impressive. Regardless I think saying that its 10x easier to wrap a grabbed bs 9 than to handlepass is a little overexaggerated. Otherwise we would see at least 10 people doing wrapped grabbed bs 9s and not just 3 guys in the world.

Danny Harf (arguablly the best spinner in the world) just landed a wrapped grabbed bs 9 this last year and its the biggest hammer in his teaser for Defy. I don't know that just kind of leads me to think its an insanley difficult move for any rider to stomp.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-08-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
joe, i've done wrapped kgb's off the double up. that is a wrapped backside spin, and it is 50x easier than a handle pass kgb off the double up.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-08-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Ok, that is the kind of insight I like to see, I have no idea how hard these tricks are
Old     (Chris941)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
damn that was sick, keep up the good work dude, hopefully we'll see the 10 soon
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       05-12-2010, 3:41 AM Reply   
I agree for sure....he floated out of that one.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-12-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
Brian, I just don't think people are trying wrapped hs bs 9s off the wake. Wrapped tricks just became en vogue this past season or so and guys are more concerned with getting a 10 under their belt (as it is soon to turn into the new toe 9 and will be mandatory to win a contest in a year or so) before trying wrapped back 9s.

Abner, first off I said it was a sick trick. I just said I was not "WOW'd" by it. Secondly, I wouldn't be able to even count how many double ups i have hit since i started wakeboarding 11 years ago, and no I have not tried a wrapped bs spin off the double up soley because I do not wrap up to spin. Unless you count wrapped kgbs off the double up but I haven't done that trick thankfully for many years as it is a sure ticket to get you thrown out of the boat lol. I can tell you that it is MUCH easier to spin a wrapped KGB than a handle pass KGB. Maybe it is hard for you to spin wrapped bs off a double up but it is easier for a pro. It allows him to not have to think about the first handle pass and just think about spinning as fast as he can. I can assure you he isn't concerned with wrapping up and getting bucked off axis and being in less control mainly because if he does go a little off axis, so what? My argument is Rusty's handle pass bs 9 was 10x harder than this wrapped bs 9. My question for you is, have you ever spun bs off a double up with a handle pass? You can't cheat it, you have to wait for your pop, definitely longer than you would for a frontside spin which is what makes a bs 10 so much harder than a fs 10. Their is simply less time.
LOL, "Wrapped tricks just became en vogue this past season or so." Now that's news to me!!! I hope by , "or so," you also mean the last 10-15 years. I'd rather see it wrapped or ole'd than handle passed, but I'm fitting in less and less on this site. LOL, again
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       05-12-2010, 7:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcronin View Post
LOL, "Wrapped tricks just became en vogue this past season or so." Now that's news to me!!! I hope by , "or so," you also mean the last 10-15 years. I'd rather see it wrapped or ole'd than handle passed, but I'm fitting in less and less on this site. LOL, again
i second this for sure......more style in wrapped tricks.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
It wasn't until the past year or two where all riders started incorporating wrapped tricks into their bag of tricks. The WSR crew has obviously been doing it for a long time but it wasn't until recently where the top pros (not including vandall) did all of these wrapped trick variations like ts bs oa 3s and hs bs oa 5s and such but you still rarely see a wrapped on axis trick still. Even all of the moves rathy is doing he winds up getting off axis at some point. I would say that wrapped flat spin tricks unless very uniquely grabbed are still looked down upon. Vandall and maybe a couple others are able to accomplish this, but I think it sets a bad example for new riders thinking a wrapped 3 is comprable to a handle pass 3 and it seems that a lot of people are starting to feel this way.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-12-2010, 10:54 PM Reply   
Hey "if" wrapping up is "easier"... then its even more reason for adding another rotation or a grab to make it more difficult. Which is a great thing in my opinion.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-12-2010, 11:24 PM Reply   
damn that was nice

just to chuck my 2 cents in I honestly believe there is no way in hell a w2w FS HS 9 is harder or more impressive than that wrapped BS9. That BS 9 was nasty, grabbed in control the whole way through. Very impressive.

Someone else said it already you can huck a 9 but to come in wrapped, then boot the d-up and finish the bs7 then pull it to blind takes superhuman control and timing. Not dissing the HS 9 still amazing but BS9 will beat it any day in my book
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-13-2010, 4:35 AM Reply   
IMO, wrapping allows the riders to grab, and I don't mean just a tap. Makes the trick much better.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       05-13-2010, 5:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdork88 View Post
Hey "if" wrapping up is "easier"... then its even more reason for adding another rotation or a grab to make it more difficult. Which is a great thing in my opinion.
Your taking this out of context. Obviously you have never tried wrapped tricks or you would know the difference. The only similarities in a BS 9 and a Wrapped BS 9 is that they are both BS 9s. Everything else is completly different. You edge, speed, body position, ect. I dont necessairly think that the word "easier" should be used here. Bad choice. More conveinant for sure, but not easier.

Its funny how everyone has some negative comment, critisim, or some critique about tricks like this when at the end of the day they can barely jump a wake. Much less do a Wrapped BS 9. I give Kyle prop for this. He's one of the most underrated riders in the world, along with many others. In my personal opinion, put up or shut up. When you guys start posting tricks like this, then make negative comments. Otherwise shut up.

Congrats Kyle.....lets see that 10.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-13-2010, 7:38 AM Reply   
Uh oh, forum police! watch out!
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-13-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
I give th BS 9 a "10" but the dive off the boat only gets an 8.5 because it had a little too much splash.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-13-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlite View Post
Your taking this out of context. Obviously you have never tried wrapped tricks or you would know the difference. The only similarities in a BS 9 and a Wrapped BS 9 is that they are both BS 9s. Everything else is completly different. You edge, speed, body position, ect. I dont necessairly think that the word "easier" should be used here. Bad choice. More conveinant for sure, but not easier.

Its funny how everyone has some negative comment, critisim, or some critique about tricks like this when at the end of the day they can barely jump a wake. Much less do a Wrapped BS 9. I give Kyle prop for this. He's one of the most underrated riders in the world, along with many others. In my personal opinion, put up or shut up. When you guys start posting tricks like this, then make negative comments. Otherwise shut up.

Congrats Kyle.....lets see that 10.
I'm taking what out of context? I was told handlepass bs 9 is 10x harder than wrapped. If this is true (which I don't agree in the least bit, hence my other comments and the "if" and "easier" in my previous statement)... wouldn't that mean that a wrapped bs 9 is 10x "easier"... or am I just crazy for thinking easier is the opposite of harder?

Please read a little more into my posts before you jump down my throat. We can both agree on how difficult the move is.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-13-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
wrapped tricks are FUN! especially wrapped backside tricks. switch, toeside, heelside, regular they're just flat out fun. definately different than doing them handle pass but much more fun IMO feels like snowboarding. no herky jerky initial pull with arms flailing, just a nice smooth pop of the wake and big ole melan grab