Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    fordman            07-22-2004, 7:01 AM Reply   
I just recently purchased my first inboard boat. The guy I bought it from told me to leave it running in Neutral as we pull it out of the water and "blow" the last of the water out of the motor before shutting it down. A friend told me that he heard that wasn't a good idea.... Any thoughts.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-22-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
Only if you like replacing impellers often... I wouldn't recommend it. It's not a jet ski, its a boat! Leave the water in there...
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-22-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
It depends. If I'm leaving mine out of the water for a long period of time (don't winterize in CA cause it's stored inside), I blow it out for a second or two when I pull it out of the water. Otherwise if it's just going to be a week or two, I don't bother.
Old    tommyadrian5            07-22-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
its bad to leave it dry, hoses, seals, and gaskets in your cooling system will dry out and crack if you blow it out or drain it and leave it for a long time, there should always be water, or if leaving it for extended periods, antifreeze (anti-freeze is anti corrosive) in it

(Message edited by tommyadrian5 on July 22, 2004)
Old    fordman            07-22-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
Thanks For the information.
Old    00prostar205v            07-28-2004, 11:41 PM Reply   
I was told by a dealer that the only thing you can do by running an inboard out of the water is toast the impeller. You cannot 'blow' the water out of the block or manifolds of an inboard ski boat by running it out of the water.
Old    ag4ever            07-29-2004, 6:25 AM Reply   
When pulling mine out, the wife pulls the truck forward while I still have the boat in gear holding it against the bow stop and keeping the boat centered. When the prop ventelates, I then hit the stop button, and that is it. I leave the water in the system, as I don't really want to loose the prime for the water pumps. During the winter she get a nice helping of rv antifreeze that stays in all the place the water should be.
BTW, even the PWC should not be run out of water. They too have impellers that can be toasted. As well as outboard motors too.