Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-10-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
So here is the deal. I will make this brief. I have the opportunity to get an MB at cost. I was about to finalize a deal on a 23 LSV. But this deal just presented itself to get the MB. Should I go for the MB which will be considerably less or stick with the BU? This is my first boat, so I dont have much experience with either.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-10-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
Drive the MB first, they are a very nice boat.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-10-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
Thats one problem, all our water is solid Ice, but I want a boat ready to roll out right when it warms up.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-10-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
what are the engine options in regards to the models you are looking @ ???
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-10-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
On the malibu 383, on the MB not sure, family friend owns the dealership and I was offered any boat for cost.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
The Bu is a nicer boat wake wise and maybe a slight edge on fit and finish but I wouldn't say its 5 or 10k better. I've had an older MB and I liked it for what it was so I have some experience witht them but not a ton. A couple of friends have them too but I have never ridden behind them one thing I noticed is they have some pretty good bow rise which is something i hate. Malibu's are jsut flat nice boats inside and out and they hold their value very well. If the deal is super good on the MB just take it.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-10-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
I dont own a MB B52, but I have ridden behind them.. I firmly believe the MB B52 21 and 23 throw the biggest wakes...

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
Abe, is it a B52 or a B52 V23? Big difference in wake. The B52 (as well as V220) was a new hull in '07.

I have ridden behind both. I have a B52 V23 TE (see profile pic) and a friend of mine has an LSV. The B52 wake is narrower & a bit steeper. The LSV wake is huge, but its a long ramp. If you want it steeper, you'll have to add more weight in the rear lockers.

I'd argue the 'fit and finish' comment above, but why? You have to sit in each, walk around, and decide for yourself. I would, however, recommend the ZR6 in the MB. They usually come w/ a bunch of ballast (mine is 2500 lbs) and you'll need the hole shot.

In the end, it will come down to preference, but you won't go wrong in either case.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-10-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
I will argue the fit and finish as well, Malibu's fit and finish was way nicer when I was shopping. I shopped Supra, Tige, and MB hard before the Bu, expecially MB I was dead set on getting one.
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-10-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
I have been very impressed with the new Mb's.The 220 and the 23. Very comfortable boat and have been really impressed by the quality. Like Dan said the zr6 is the way to go. The wake speaks for it self

Upload
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
DON'T BUY A BOAT WITHOUT SEEING AND DRIVING IT FIRST!! The last thing you need is a boat that YOU won't be happy with for whatever reason. Boats are big money, and something that you need to make sure is right. Everyone has there opinions, but what they like, you might not. There will be plenty of deals around as the weather warms up. Trust me on this.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-10-2008, 11:02 PM Reply   
I am visiting Porltand this weekend and stopped in at the Bu dealership and sat in their 08 VLX and LSV man I love those boats...My jaw was dropping. I own an 05 MB V23 and love it also but the 08 Bus were the shizzle dizzle forizzle. Then I stopped in at Active Water Sports and met Greg Waters who is on this site and Checked out the new MB's. I was just as impressed and holy crap those new Tom Cats are awesome. I shouldnt be looking at boats because the more I do the more I want a new one. Whatever boat you choose you will get a fine quality boat. If the deal is really good on the MB and you are saving money then I would go that route. But if money is no option I think I would lean toward the Bu or sigh...I really liked the Tomcat.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-11-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
I have ridden, driven both boats. The surf wake on the MB 23 is awesome stock compared to the LSV. The Malibu is a bit more blingy, but the MB finish is still pretty good in my opinion. For $10k I would definitely take the MB. Also it does require the Zr6 engine in my opinion.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-11-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like we will be going with the MB. At that price it is a no brainer.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-12-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
Get the MB. I say that because I love mine and worse case is you don't like it and you sell it, probably for a profit
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-12-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
I have B52 V23..you will love it great boat. IMO you dont need the ZR6 it will get you up and out of the water no problem..if it doesnt pull you up fast enough can always re prop.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-12-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
Me behind Tomcat with Cobe. Wake was awesome stock!
Upload
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-12-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
i love malibus more than every boat out there and i hate to say it if you can get the mb for cost i would go with that with the prices of boats being so high its absolutely rediculous. mb makes a great boat and the wake is up there in the top 5 for sure.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-13-2008, 4:12 AM Reply   
Mike O, was that part of the I-Ride tour last year?
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-13-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
Yep! Fun day, not may folks and great water. Bret and Cobe were cool. Ate lunch and had a great day on the water.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-13-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
Yeah, I brought my daughters out on it. Here's a few shots from that day:

Our ride:
Upload
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-13-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
My daughter:
Upload

Cobe 540 off the d-up
Upload
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-13-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
I'm still not sold on the looks of the Tomcat, but the wake is sweet and there is tons & tons of room. We had 10 people in the boat and had no problem getting around.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-13-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
Dan what's up with the wake crumbling like 60' back in the pic of your daughter (she looks like a trooper by the way you must be proud).
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-13-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
Not sure. I'm guessing because we were going slow (15 MPH maybe?). Even though the ballast was empty, there were 10 people on the boat.

Yeah, I'm a proud father of 2 girls that ride, and the one here is the oldest (she's 10). The other is only 7. They actually fight over who gets to go first. Music to my ears...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-13-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
That's clean for only 15mph. That's funny fighting over the rope huh, hanging out with dad must be their favorite.....
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-13-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
Yeah, here's a shot of them riding together:

RidingDoubles_1.jpg

Once they learned they could ride doubles, this is pretty much how they rode the rest of the year. Sort of fixed the whole 'I want to ride 1st' thing. I thought it was cool. My wife, however...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-13-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
Look at your 7 year old cutting out, looks like your 10 year old is about to say "hey you know you're not supposed to go out that far, mom's gonna kill you" that's awesome. Looks like they have alot of confidence out there. That's the kind of dad I want to be when I have kids.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-14-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
yep at slower speeds it can look like that especially with weight in the boat, as soon as you pick up the pace just a tad (or reduce weight)it cleans right up... Notice though how it is clean where she's riding and to me that says something else about the boats ability to be enjoyed by all.

Dan, yea it seems kids really have the most fun riding doubles and it's a blast to watch them chase each other around.
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-14-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Hey Abe Miller!
any pics of the new boat?