Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-29-2010, 9:11 PM Reply   
Where are all the skim style wakesurfs at? On this forum it seems everyone is surf style. I know there has got to be more skim riders out there. I tried riding surf but it just feels unnatural and wrong. haha
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-29-2010, 9:24 PM Reply   
My old man is going to skim surfer route. But i agree with you, not many on here.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-29-2010, 11:08 PM Reply   
Take a couple midol, maybe that will help. ;-)
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-30-2010, 12:06 AM Reply   
haha i think menstruating is a pretty natural thing lol, not "unnatural and wrong" so idk if a midol will help mitch out that much!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-30-2010, 1:44 AM Reply   
Yeah, but I hear when you are taking on water, all that bloating, spins and shuvits can really make you queezy.

lol, this may get me in trouble. ;-)
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-30-2010, 5:09 AM Reply   
I ride skim, IS BP Yellow, but I rock the tri-fin setup.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-30-2010, 5:41 AM Reply   
Skimmer...Phase 5 boards on my boat.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-30-2010, 6:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Reply Quick Reply
Yeah, but I hear when you are taking on water, all that bloating, spins and shuvits can really make you queezy.
Don't hate just because you lack the skill to do any of those tricks.

More people ride surfstyle because it's easier.

Last edited by caskimmer; 06-30-2010 at 6:39 AM.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-30-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by caskimmer View Post
Don't hate just because you lack the skill to do any of those tricks.

More people ride surfstyle because it's easier.
i actually think its much easier to do tricks on a skim. i tried a handful of different surfs and just couldnt get the hang of it. but it also could just be my personal style.

i was going back and forth trying skim and surf but now with the Calibrated im hooked on skim.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-30-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
Don't get touchy, I was just messing around with mitch. RJ is locked on Surf, but he enjoyed wakeskating with you. Whitney has asked me to get a skim board on the boat, something I need to do.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-30-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Mitch howd you get that calibrated board? Id love to get my hands on one, but they are ridiculous to get.

Comes down to personal preference. I like the feeling of carving, but skim is fun too.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-30-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
Joey, the shop I work at carries Calibrated boards. Also the boards are only made 45 minutes from my house.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-30-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
Everyone needs to learn to ride both, IMO
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-30-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
chris really enjoys riding the skim ...... i think the last time we went out with mitch he rode the calibrated board more then he surfed ..... i agree on learning both cant see where it couldnt do anything but good
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-30-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
Frank, I dont know if i can let Chris get on my skim anymore. He is getting too good too quick.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-30-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
Skimmer here, so many more things to do. I don't get surf style boards. Unless there is a skill, body weight, or boat wake size issue, then I can understand.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-03-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
I ride a skim - Phase Five Prop. I like the loose feel of the board on my Sanger V210 wake. Surf style feels like I am locked in and I can't play around on the wave as much. I really think for me it depends on the boat I am behind. When I ride a bigger wave than mine, I still like a skim but with a little bigger fin on it. I rode a Triple X skim board behind an Avalanche and really liked it. We were riding at 13mph compared to 11mph on my boat.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-03-2010, 5:48 PM Reply   
Sooo pumped on my new board!
Attached Images

Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-04-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
Never ridden one......probably jus embarrass myself.

*waits for invite*
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-04-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
skimming is fun
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-05-2010, 3:42 AM Reply   
Dont see a updated Calibrated site??
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-05-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
Yea, the site has been down for awhile. Mitch has the hookup tho!

I think next season I might make the jump for one. Already got a shredstixx elevation this season, cant afford anymore boards haha.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
Yea, the site has been down for awhile. Mitch has the hookup tho!

I think next season I might make the jump for one. Already got a shredstixx elevation this season, cant afford anymore boards haha.
I dont have a hook up. I just met Mike at the Wake9 Wakesurf Festival and was really interested in getting his boards in the shop. Im not sure what his plans are for the website but i know he is busy working on boards again. He is trying to get them in more shops. Ask your local shop to carry their boards. Same with other companies too. Shops wont carry small rider owned companies if people dont ask.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
haha my local shops... consist of dealers and what they decide they wanna keep around, or skipro and they have a really small selection as far as watersports go. AZ doesnt have a big community for watersports, not like other places atleast.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
Joey, dealers will stock stuff if they can sell it. like when you ordered your shred stixx you could have went to that dealer and said you wanted to order the board through them. it would have been the same price and then it would have given them the hint that they should stock them because they will sell. a lot of small shops think people only surf with hyperlite broadcasts and cwb rides because thats all people ask to buy. the guys buying the real boards just go straight online and never go in to the shops. if the shops knew those guys existed and that those guys would go to the shop they would have them.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
good point man. I just cant see my locals really stocking the good stuff because of prices. but hey, its worth a try. next time i buy i will go in and ask them
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
since we started stocking real boards we sell them 5 to 1 wakeboard brand board. people know the difference. but we also have invested a lot into a demo program.
i really want to see more shops carrying the good stuff. i love seeing stuff in person. especially when its that much.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
Yea I would agree with that. Its hard to justify spending big change on a board you cant hold or demo. Where are you located?

Im in AZ and there isnt much of a surf community here. Lots of guys starting to get into it, which is cool, so it should start picking up. but only 2 other boats I see on my reg lake that freesurf and have a quality wave.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
Joey, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I just want to see more small board companies grow and get in shops
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
wow, there arent many lakes in that area huh? Where do you normally ride?

I got a buddy who lives about 40 min from san fran and he doesnt know of any lakes around.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
i sent you a PM. i hijacked my own thread
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
hahaha you hijacker!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-07-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
We have the Phase 5 boards. If you want t to demo one in MI, drop me an e-mail at info@placidwaters.com. Not a dealer, but do have a factory connection. After riding both, we prefer the skim style - much more manuverable and you can still do all of the same things as on a old-school board.
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-13-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
I never thought I could ride a skim style board. I have demoed a lot of board trying to find something for a guy at 250 pounds. If you would have told me I could ride a board 57 inches and less than an inch thick I would have told you I was crazy. Yesterday we demoed a couple of Calibrated boards and the 57 inch board was very easy to ride. I was shocked. I currently ride a IS Swallow and it has been fun but I am now trying to figure out how to sneak a new board in the boat so my wife does not know. I might join Mitch in his skimmer life.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-15-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
I skim 75% of the time on a Drew P5. I sometimes change up to surfstyle TWP JWSM. Completely different and kinda messes you up for a minute or 2 until you go from sliding to shredding. Landing more surface tricks on the P5 helps me think I'm a skimmer. I love trying new boards.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-15-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
Roger, did you meet up with Mike?
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-16-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
thos calibrated are interesting i want to stay in skim board but at 285 its not that easy i was looking at the P5 Razz ( 56'' ) maybe but i was not sure... maybe the calibrated 57 should be the good option then. Or the Drew XL or XXL.