Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
I am trying to learn more about fins and was wondering what each of your favorite future fins are and why.

I always see a lot of scimitars, but it would be cool to know more about the different styles. On the futuresfin website it obviously doesnt have a wakesurf section. haha
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-28-2010, 10:02 PM Reply   
Im gonna be experimenting with some future fins on my shred stixx once i get it.
Old    surfdad            05-29-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
We started using Scimitars back in '07 - this is a great picture of "hairboy" back in '08. We switched away from the Scims to the 3/2/1's because of the extra squirt they delivered, especially in the Twinzer configuration that James likes.. The 3/2/1's dont seem to trim as fast as the Scim's but "off the line" generated more drive. They also were better at going vertical for James, I don't go vertical unless I fall. In our experience, in bottom turns, the 3/2/1's generated more drive, out of the turn.

When we were doing all our swapping of fins, I found the Future Fin's site did pretty good at listing the applicabple fins. I do NOT like their recommend a fin ap, but using the menu FINS/THRUSTER/MEDIUM gave a useful list of fins.

The verbiage from that site:

Determine the primary surf you ride, and characteristics you want.
Mushy surf requires a fin that creates incredible amounts of drive and speed right from takeoff. Hollow surf takes a fin that controls the inherent speed of the wave. Midrange rippable surf can take a blend of both. Choose the fins in your riding style category or move one category left for a looser fin and one category to the right for a stiffer fin.

The "Mushy surf" option always worked well for our selections, YMMV.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-29-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
I am rocking Future VII FEA Black Stix II on my elevation and I love them. I believe they say 438 on them. I think these are the fins chase is rocking. I am using my stock 375's in the rear. I have smaller rears but I get so much more drive out of the bigger rears.

http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detail.php?id=116

Last edited by duffymahoney; 05-29-2010 at 9:30 AM. Reason: forgot
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-31-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
Integs.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-01-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
any from the vector-2 line up
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
Black Stixx's or Scim's I like them both but for different reasons. The Blacks are fast, fast, fast but are rigid in their tracking making them harder to bust loose. The Scims are a nice combo of both speed and loosness.
Old    surfdad            06-01-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
Hey Hate,

On the Black Stixx, really? Not busting your chops, everyone seems to have a different perspective and taste, which is good. Are you referring to the origianl Black Sticks or the Black Sticks 2.0? I think everyone on our boat found the 2.0 to be slow, and "a really expensive" average'ish fin. What are you using them in, board and wake, that gave you that speed?
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-01-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
Surfdad,

Futures shows 4 sets of black stix fins, that you can also get in a natural material and all in VII foil
V2F4-RTM-BS2.0 I like on quad board with 3.75 rears
FAM1-RTM-BS2.0 i have in natural
V2FJC1-RTM-BS2.0 i have in natural
V2FEA-RTM-BS2.0 i have in natural
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-01-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
I also think the black stixxs are the fastest fins I have ridden.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-01-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
Hey Duff,

do you have the V2F4 fins ?
Old    surfdad            06-01-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
Weren't the original BS (love that acronym ) 2.0's the F4 template? I'm pretty sure that's what I have. I have the FAM 1 in a RTM that sucks out loud also.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-01-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
dont know , 2008 book and 2010 book dont say??
Old    surfdad            06-01-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
No, I have the FJC1 template in the BS 2.0 - noone on our boat liked this, as I remember. The AM 2 in RTM was not popular either.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-01-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
I think mine are 2.0 438's. They are the same fins chase is rocking.

Last edited by duffymahoney; 06-01-2010 at 7:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-01-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
I also have the carbon stretch quads and they are totally different then my new black stixx 2.0. They have less cup and also overall shape is changed.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-02-2010, 12:26 AM Reply   
Duffy should I ditch the stockk fins that come with the elevation?
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-05-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
Hey duff ,
so you almost pay 8 to 900 bux for this board decked all the way but it doesnt come with the best fins for drive ?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-05-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
Honestly sometimes I think fins help and sometimes i think they don't . It could be just my imagination. Chase will tell you he changes them all the time, sometimes stock, black, small rears etc... Fins are as important as the board design is and each kind have their own feel. The stock fins are great, I wouldn't have bought the black stixx 2.0 if I didn't get them cheap off ebay. I think the only way to really tell is to do a blind test.
Old    surfdad            06-05-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
Honestly sometimes I think fins help and sometimes i think they don't .

That's just an incomplete thought, right? Or perhaps you meant the more expensive fins? You're not trying to say that you think your quad rides the same with or without fins.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-05-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
I always ride quad I just need to do a blind test where I don't know what fins are on the board and see if I can truly tell or not.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-05-2010, 8:49 PM Reply   
Yea you can truly tell a diff. on other style of fins , did some testing a month a go and switched fins out, some i liked and some i didnt and same was said by others that tried.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-09-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
Jeff, sorry so long to get back to you I hadn't checked back on this thread in a while. Yeah so the Black Stix 2.0 Al Merrick's I believe its been a while so I'd have to check. I really like them and for me they are very fast. We put some on my buddies JWSM and it spead it up too, he has the Rustys I believe. We are both bigger guys 220 plus so maybe that has something to do with it.