Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-11-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
I currently ride a 133 Fish. I'm about 5'11 and 180lbs. I love the short wide boards, love the pop they give. The board is coming apart at the seams and is taking in water. I've epoxied several times, but this one is several years old and it's time for a new board.

I hear great things about the CWB boards, mainly the Marius and Transcend. Found a good deal on a 134 Marius, and it's about the same size as the Fish. What is the general consensus on the Marius vs Transcend? And would I be ok with the 134 due to width or should I go up a size?

Last edited by tl7; 05-11-2010 at 6:28 PM. Reason: edit
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-11-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
At 185 lbs I would think that in a CWB the 141 Transcend would be a good choice. I am 165 lbs and ride the 138. I'm no expert but a few will be along soon. Stand by------->>>>>>
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-11-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
Generally i would say... Dont CuddleWithBill....

CWB boards may ride good but everyone i know who rides them breaks them all the time especially the platinum ones....
The only board i would recomend from CWB is Gabes board....
Otherwise OBRIEN all the way!
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-11-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
Taft,
CWB Boards ARE great boards and i've rode them the last two years. I rode LF boarsd prior but now on CWB. I had the 08, 09, and 2010 transcend and loved it. I am pretty much exactly your size except i weigh 5 lbs more than you. I STRONGLY suggest you dont look at anything under 138. 138 is pretty small as it is for guys our size. I just got a 144 Faction but when i rode the transcend i was on a 142 (transcend comes in 142, not 141 just to clearify). The transcend had great consistant pop and i actually rode my buddies marius a few time and to be completely honest, after riding the transcend and loving the pop it had on it, i absolutely will not ride that marius shape for as long as they are making that shape because that board had NO pop imo. I see you said you like the pop that your board gave so i would def recommend the transcend. Also, the general consensus is that larger boards have more pop than smaller boards so i think you may be surprised and proven otherwise about your shorter board giving you more pop. A 133 or 134 is BY FAR way too small for you! CWB did have a problem with their boards breaking, but that is only the platinums that they had that problem with cause they were so stiff. But im sure thats a huge reason why they discontinued the platinum series. Now their stiff board is the DB9 which instead of using fiberglass rods to stiffen the board (like the platinums), they use the bamboo core which is really really light and obviously really stiff. Bamboo is also one of the strongest woods you can find. So even though the DB9 (which is the same shape as the faction) is a continuous rocker, that extra stiffness is expected to compliment and bigger pop. I am stoked to ride my 144 Faction cause it is a solid, clean shape. No matter what anyone says man, you'll be happy if you get a CWB board. They have great products, great warranty program cause they take care of their customers, and i really think you will find what you want in the transcend. I really think you should seriously consider investing in a 142 Transcend. They're really great shapes. Hope i helped you at least a little bit, GOOD LUCK!!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-11-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
See? I told you the experts would show up soon!
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-11-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
I rode the Marius for three years and it's a great board with great pop but it is a continuous rocker so the pop is a little different than the Transcend. The Marius is so consistent it's unreal. I know ride the transcend and love this board a little more of my style. Both board are great but I would say the Marius might be a little more like your fish. Like Codi said bigger boards have more pop usually. Size is all preference but I would suggest trying out a larger sized board. As for CWB boards breaking, all boards break and I have broken many more boards from other companies. Gnarslayer's comment is a lame excuse for pushing obrien boards. The Vibe board is very wide though but rides differently than all the boards mentioned before.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-11-2010, 9:38 PM Reply   
All boards break.

Actually I can't speak for Obriens. I haven't even seen one in years. The last one was at West Marine I think. Besides that, I don't think you can buy one in California without ordering it online.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-12-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
I used to ride a Marius and loved it. 2.5 seasons before it got retired. Consistency is amazing, pop was good with the extra width and landings were buttery soft. Down side to it is if you ride it with the fin, it's slow. Take it off, and it's lose, so if you're not used to using your edges correctly, you will have problems on it. All in all - I loved it and looked at buying a new one, but when it came time for a new board, money was low, so I started riding my buddy's Transcend. I had a bit of a time figuring out the pop due to the rocker and larger molded in fins (was not, am not, and will not ride it with the extensions), since it gripped the wake so much more. After getting used to the pop difference, I love it. Lose when I want it to be, but still helps me out if I'm sketching a landing. Pop is pretty consistent, just releases differently off the wake for me.

As for size......I'm 5"11, 165 and rode the 140 Marius. Bought a 138 transcend platty, broke it, and got it warrantied with a 142 because I missed the length. I love the extra length personally, and if you're not spinning 9's, you probably won't notice the swing weight difference.

As for them breaking. If you're worried about snapping one, don't buy an old platinum board, otherwise, you should be just fine.

J-Rod - I don't know if you can find Obrien in NE either.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-12-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
Pretty much everyone has said what needs to be said. The Marius is unique because it has a lofty pop that throws you out, the width does make it get some boot, I had a hard time figuring out the timing of its pop. The Transcend was much more my style, it kicks pretty hard but is predictable off the wake. I've ridden it the last two years and have a hard time finding a board I like more. I'm smaller than you by 30 pounds and ride the 138, definitely recommend you look at the 142. As for the boards breaking, in the 6 years I've been riding CWB, I've broken one, pretty much all boards break, CWB no more than others.
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-12-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
I am 6'0 - 260 pounds (not all fat) LOL - but I ride the 08 Transcend Plat. 142 and love it. If I were to buy another board today, I think i'd stay with CWB as I have had zero problems with it...
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-12-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
I wish the Marius shape never changes.. too bad it will for next year. It's going to be one of those boards for me where I'm thinking ten years from now, "Wish I still had that board" Kind of like the old lf trip. Time to stock up I guess.

I'm 6 ft 180lbs and ride a 140. Its a good size for me.

Last edited by stoked_32; 05-12-2010 at 4:47 PM.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-12-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
John.......good news....I saw Trevor last week and asked him about the new shape and he said it was not drastically changing !

So I'm really really happy to hear that, Because I was also thinking about the stock up and stash program....LOL

I also love the Marius and I am really lazy with my edges and cuts, But I run the center fins( the small ones) on my board and love it. I keep trying new boards and always find my way back to the Marius.

Jarrod....Sounds like SR was off the hook sorry I missed it but found out Jwlz has a pup in the oven so that took precedence!.
Old     (1niceharley)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-13-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
5'11" 155-160 lbs and I ride the 140 Marius. I really like it, but I am a newbie.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-13-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
i'm 5'6" and 175 lbs i ride the 140 marius i had an 08 134 but felt the pop wasn't as good . with your weight i would say the 140 would be better. also i feel the 140 is faster to the wake. maybe it rides higher on the water?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Since we are talking about CWB, I'll chime in and say that I have ridden the Faction for this year and last, and was on the Marius for the two years prior. In my opinion, they are pretty similar in that they are both easy to predict, have great pop, and land soft.

This year I'm on the DB9, and it just plain kills it. It has everything that I like in a board, plus it is super light. Oh and all boards break. I've broken a few in my day and l'm 6'0" and 185lbs.

C DUB for life!