Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old    turkster08            06-18-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
how would i get gas to my dock and into m boat using a gas caddy or what not because the gas caddy weighs like 250 pounds full so if anyone hase any ideas please share them thank you.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       06-18-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
gas pal- 11 gallons about 70 lbs. full, get 2 and the good dispensing handle not the 1/4 turn ball valve.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-18-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
these work awesome, they pour as fastas a gas pump and one person can hold and pour.

http://www.dirtrider.com/drtested/141_0407_dirtbike_hunsaker_gas_can/

I use two of the 13 gallon ones
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-18-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
I use something similar to what adam posted. I have 6 5 gallon cans used for motorcycle racing and it dumps the fuel faster then anything I have come across.

It also is nice because with such a long hose, and the amount of force, I never devolop bubbles in my line and have gas spill out, which happens all the time with typical cans
Old    walt            06-18-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
I use the gas pal and a cycle gas can. The gas Pal is slow and the cycle gas cans are kind of pricey.

The Gas Pal is a little heavy too.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-19-2006, 6:24 AM Reply   
This syphon and 5 gallon cans do the trick. It will syphon 5 gallons in about 2 minutes.

http://www.tackletogo.com/syphonmate.html

Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-19-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
First off, is this your dock? If so, you can construct whatever is necessary to make it easy. If is isn't your dock (as in at a marina) then you better check the marina rules as they generally prohibit fueling anywhere except at the gas dock.

I would expect the gas caddy to have wheels on it so you could roll it. Getting it out of the truck could be a challenge though.

How far from where you park the truck to the dock? Is it a gentle slope or are there steps? Would it be possible to dig a trench and bury a pipe to carry the gas down to the dock?

I am assuming that you need to gas the boat up at the dock everytime you use it, perhaps multiple times a day, so we are talking 40 to 50 gallons of gas a day?

If you have to carry the gas any distance then 5 gallon jugs are as big as you want to go. If the distance is short and you are a body builder type 6 gallon cans will work. I recommend the "Utility Jug" gas cans, they are much better at getting the gas in without spilling.

If you have a ramp and can use a dolly or other wheeled device then you can use bigger containers.

If you are using a lot of gas then I would consider installing a fueling system. Bury a pipe, have a gas nozzel on the dock and a large tank up at the parking area. Buy yourself a 100 gallon tank, fasten it to a trailer. When it gets empty hitch it up and head to the gas station, bring it back full and connect to the pipe that runs down to the dock. Get a siphon started and you won't even need a pump (assuming you have a slope down to the lake and you are not behind a levee).

Of course, if you have a lot of buddies that come to ride the best thing is to tell each of them to arrive with a five gallon can.......
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-19-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
My parents have 300 gallon gas tank with a 100ft hose on the shore. However, the only time we can get the boat close enough to the shore to reach the hose is high tide. Therefore we just have a 25 gallon gas dock that we fill up and roll down the pier. Which is a PITA. Hopefully my we can get a longer hose.

Matter of fact I dont think we have filled the boat up once via the hose yet.

(Message edited by drewdown on June 19, 2006)
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-19-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
Used the siphonmate that Stanfield recommended this weekend, flows 5 gallons in 2 min 45 seconds w/ no liting of the can. Great tool.