Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    ScottRobinson            05-08-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Just wondering what I should do..... I am learning W2W..(I know, newbie but still have to start somewhere) so what length of rope to I learn at? I can ride switch and do some bunny jumps but not W2W yet and wondering if I should shorten rope or what?

Also have 8 and 6 year older going to learn just to board, should they be at a specific length rope too?

Thank
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-08-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
when learning w2w 60ft seems to be good to learn at. As far as kids go, I have no clue.
-Adam
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-08-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
Don't restrict yourself to a specific rope length. Your going to want to start with a shorter rope length, corresponding to a more narrow part of the wake. Get your form down and get used to going wake to wake. Then as you get more confident and more comfortable with it, move back a section as comfort permits. As far as the little ones, we usually run as short as possible and slow. That way the boat's tower has more of an upward lift. Just our theory on that one. Has served us well.

Good luck on the wake to wake! Do work!
Old    ScottRobinson            05-08-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
Thanks Ben and Adam. Will try 60 first and get it down then just move back. Isn't 80 the norm?
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-08-2010, 7:04 PM Reply   
It all depends on the boat, wake and speed. Ride whatever length your comfortable at. When learning new tricks always shorten the rope and slow the boat down to reduce the risk of injury. I personally ride at 75ft and between 21.5-23 mph.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-08-2010, 8:27 PM Reply   
wow that just seems fast to me... we run around 18.5
Old     (austin_the_wakeboard_man)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-08-2010, 9:37 PM Reply   
i was rideing at 23.7 at 75 now i ride 80 at 24.5 isnt your wake realy dirty and soft at 18.5
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-09-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
scott, I ride at 18.5-19mph when I want to try new things, it makes the water so much softer! dont be afraid of what people will think, or how you will look. Its all about learning, and if your going 21,22,23,24 mph and you crash, youll have a lot less balls to try whatever trick again, because youll still be hurting.

I say do what feels right, for W2W make sure your short enough to clear it at 18.5, and HAVE FUN!
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-09-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
You will get used to riding at higher speeds, I also started at 18-19, now ride at 23+.
I was riding in a Malibu Just Ride event years ago with Gerry Nunn, signalling him to slow down, he ignored me, later told me I just had to get used to it.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-09-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
Scott,
It's all personal preference when it comes to the rope. The ropes tend to lengthen the better you get and faster you ride. However, the best rider I ride with rides at 70 feet and can do alot of different rolls and raleys. It's all preference. I used to try to have a "set" rope length, but realized that when riding behind several different boats with a huge disparity in weights, I had to change the length to accommodate the wakes. It seems to move between around 77.5 and 82.5 (Aftermarket t-wrap kind of messes with the exact length) I ride 23.5 and that's been a great speed for me, but I'd definitely recommend riding around at 20 if your starting to look at jumping. It'll clean your wake up and allow you to really get a more solid edge instead of "pushing through" the water per se. It'll also narrow out the wake a bit more for you.

Hope it helps!
Old    ScottRobinson            05-09-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
Yeah thanks a million guys, guess for most part I just have to get out there and try it. I think I will start around 19-20 and around around 60-65' to start, hopefully after a few runs I can lengthen the rope and maybe hit 21 mph. I don't want to fall and crush myself, so I will rock the helmet and slow until I feel like I sorta know what I am doing....then I will kill myself....=)
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-09-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
Since most wake boats at slower speeds have really wide wakes I put it at 45' to teach my wife and then slowly added length. Get to the narrowest point in the wake and work your way out. There is also no need for speed at this point about 18-19mph is good. Just get enough speed to clean the wake up some at the point you are going to try to hit. Good Luck