Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-05-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
Heard on news last night the Rod Stimmel had pulled the plug on the event @ Lodi because they wouldnt allow the motorcross demonstration.
Wonder where it will go or if it will even happen?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-05-2004, 11:32 AM Reply   
Rick,

It seems Boardstock has finally run it's course. We'll look back on it some day, and remember what once was.
Old    beerdrnknboardr            03-05-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
I'm surprised about that. I mean I didnt really like it as much there the last couple of years but i thought they were all for having it there this year
Old     (missmel)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-07-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
Boardstock can't die! bring it back to Shasta.....hmmm that will never happen. Well, I guess those of us that went to Shasta will remember it how it should be. Anyway, why pull the plug on it because of the motocross?? Since when was boardstock about that, it should have never went that direction in the first place.
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-08-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
Cliff, I am already remembering what was. I remember my first Boardstock (1998) at Jones Valley when the wind would not let up and trucks were getting stuck in the mud trying to deliver more kegs of beer to the houseboats. I remember Boardstock (1999) at Antlers Resort, tied up to a log boom meeting new friends that I still stay in touch with today. But most of all, I remember watching some of the best riding ever in a non commercial environmenmt. Then I remember Boardstock (2000) first time at Lodi/Stockton. We didn't get to Stockton that year, but we found a place called Mildred Is, which was not an Island, but a kind of Lagoon surrounded by a thin strip of land with only a couple of ways in and out. Here we watched the pros doing a helicopter shoot. It was probably better than the event itself. The only real thing that stands out about the last Boardstock that we attended (2001)Were at both ends of the spectrum. Good friends, and to name just a couple damnation and butterflyboarder. The other was not a pleasant memory, but it still stands out. It was the destruction at Tower Park caused (I hope) by people that were there just to party and raise hell, and not by people that were there for the stoke.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-08-2004, 5:49 PM Reply   
I know im not from Cali but usually follow the hype and stories from Boardstock over the years and think tis a crime to the wakeboard world to have the roots of this thing tore down the last two years..it sounds like it has turned into a circus and has gotton way out of control and lost its soul..

I think its a shame that promotors have lost such touch with this event that they would make a stand and cancel boardstock because they wont let the MX event happen ??Give me a break guys !! This is and always has been about wakeboarding so let the Event go on without all the hoopla and events on land and get this event back to Beer,bros,hos,boats,and wakeboarders which = FUN !!..:-)

This is just an oppinion from an outsider who has been to many events over the years and feel sorry for whats happened to the ORIGINAL Wakeboarding event that started it all..
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-08-2004, 7:06 PM Reply   
Do you mean Rob Stimmel who used to work for Jobe. He use to be my neigbor.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-08-2004, 8:18 PM Reply   
doesnt matter who has steered it the wrong way the fact remains from what ive read that the site wont approve the MX stuff so the promoters said nevermind..

i cant believe they would cancel a Wakeboard event or at least risk not having it over the MX stuff..doesnt make sense to me..

they should take a moment and realize that Wakeboarding is the reason this event became what it was and doesnt need all the outside stuff to keep it going IMO...
Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-08-2004, 11:49 PM Reply   
I live a few blocks from Lodi Lake and am relieved that it is not going to happen here. After what I witnessed in 2001 at Tower Park, drunk stupid destructive people, Boardstock is not an event I would want here. I never made the early events in Shasta, but they sounded like a great celebration of the sport and the people who love it. Tower Park and the Stockton years turned into a scene at which to be seen, regardless of affiliation. No thanks.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-09-2004, 7:13 AM Reply   
Everyone not use to Lodi cops would be in for something.........I don't think anything would happen at Lodi Lake like Tower Park.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-09-2004, 9:00 AM Reply   
It's all about the cash. The promoter must be betting they can't make money without the MX stuff going on. Or worse yet, they would loose money without it. Promoters risk a lot of money on events, if they bomb they loose major cash. I am sure if they felt they could make money with just the wakeboarding, they would still hold it. In the old days having it at Shasta I bet the overhead was nothing compared to now, it was a pretty loose scene. I am sure after the Tower Park episode, their insurance went up and they probably have to gurantee much more security at the events.
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-09-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
I haven't heard either way on the Lake Lodi decision, but , if it's going to be like last year at Tower Park, get ready!!!! I think TP had the facilities to pulloff the "local" scene with minimal impact to the community, but not Lodi Lake...I mean it's half as small and landlocked.. no way for folks to cruise in and berth and gig!! Sounds way more controlled and stagnant after the events....which is not always a bad thing!!!!!!! But not for this event! We don't need every lo'cal yo'cal coming out and lettin' it ALL out, it justs need it to be a little toned down and still keep the stoke that is always boardstock.....no matter where it will be!!!! Tell me I'm wrong!!