Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (autosports)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-01-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
Ive seen these ,they have a clear plastic cap on the hub(instead of metal dust cap) and you can see,looks like motor oil,inside about half full, the brgs. rotate in and out of the oil.Ive seen these also on semi trucks.Looks like a great idea ,would seem like you never would have to ever pack a brg. again, and no greasy mess,also I have electric brakes so I cant pump grease into brgs.( would end up in backing plate). Anyone used or heard about these, Frank
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-01-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
Got em on my trailer. They are def. nice. Just keep an eye on your oil level, and fil'er up when needed as manuf. suggests.

Although I did have one fail and it was pretty catastrophic. To be fair the manufacturer thinks something must have flew up and knocked out the hub cause the oil to come out and the bearings to fail.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-01-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
Frank, there are seals that keep grease from going out the back.

there is nothing wrong with the regular old greased hubs with a bearing buddy(not just a dust cap) to keep them greased, the brakes don't matter.

are you any relation to Cathy C?
Old     (autosports)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-02-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
If Cathys last name is spelled the same good chance we are related, major league player Dolf was my great uncle.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-03-2009, 12:57 AM Reply   
yep, I know(knew) Cathy and Chris. Knew Cathy really well when she was dating Joe long time ago. we taught her to barefoot, and she is one tough chick. I remember the Dolf story. I went to school with Kenny and Glen Camminiti, I'm from the neighborhood.

If you're in the bay area you can get help from Topside marine on those hubs if you want to get that set up.
Old     (autosports)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-03-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Small world, I don't know Cathy but sounds like my daughter, played college soccer ,and competes with the boys, also a fearless wakeboarder
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-03-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
where are you? not the SF Bay Area I guess.

These Camillis were San Jose, CA.
Old    murphy8166            01-04-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
What happens when an oil bath goes bad? I know with grease you can keep on going down the road for miles until you can get it serviced.

There is no way that the oil will adhere as well to the bearings as well as grease does when a seal decides to go out.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       01-04-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
If your dust cap/bearing buddy comes out your bearing will throw out all the grease and fail too. And it only takes a few miles. It happened to me on a road trip a few years ago.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-04-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
that would be a fun test, to see when the hubcap gets knocked off which kind fails first.
I would bet the greased goes longer as long as, and especially if, it was packed correctly in the first place.

I have had a bearing that was not packed correctly (new boat and trailer) catch fire and wheel fell off at the bottom of the Sunol grade. had to sleep under an overpass waiting for parts and help.

(Message edited by bftskir on January 04, 2009)